Reptile Forums banner

how do i remove a screw with a burred head??

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  lola 
#1 ·
I'm trying to refurbish a secondhand 4ft viv I bought recently and one of the old crosshead woodscrews in it has a burred head and I can't use my usual screwdriver to get the flippin' thing out - any ideas???

#2 ·
Is the screwhead flat against or the wood or protruding? If it's protruding from the wood, You could try sawing a slit in the head with a small saw so you can use a flathead screwdriver to get it out.

#4 ·
or drill it out, chose a bit that is slightly smaller in diameter than the shaft of the screw :)

#7 ·
Ok - it's crosshead and countersunk :(

I've heard about those things you can buy specifically to remove screws like this but it happens so rarely that I think first I'll see about drilling the head of the screw out (thanks crownan) then hopefully at least I'll be able to remove the piece of ply it's holding in place...

many thanks for all the replies and advice, it's calmed me down reading them, I was getting quite c-r-o-s-s!!!!

#10 ·
thanks Big D..... am just sitting looking at it now... lost enthusiasm coz I got peeved!!!!! I'll have a go with the drill though and like you say will take care coz don't want to split the wood :)

will maybe go look on ebay for those screw extractor thingys later too!

thanks cervantes - that's true the new background I'm putting in will cover it if I do mess it up a bit!!!

#14 ·
those screw extractor kits are cheap on ebay :) different types though so will have a better look later when I've more time! Will have a go the drilling out way first :)

lynneowen1.... at first I did try tapping a crosshead screwdriver into the head to improve its grip but it didn't work and then my temper began to take over!!!!

#16 ·
You may not use a screw extractor every day, but those times you do you'll consider it one of the best tools you ever bought!

It's not the cheapest available, but I use this one Boa Grabit Set Screw Extractors, BOAGBSET at D&M Tools, one end drills the pilot hole and the other end removes the screw, so no scrabbling around trying to find the correct size drill.

#18 ·
You may not use a screw extractor every day, but those times you do you'll consider it one of the best tools you ever bought!

It's not the cheapest available, but I use this one Boa Grabit Set Screw Extractors, BOAGBSET at D&M Tools, one end drills the pilot hole and the other end removes the screw, so no scrabbling around trying to find the correct size drill.

I like the look of this one - nice & uncomplicated!! I'm going to save the info so next time someone wants to know what I want.....!!!

The screw's out now - thanks for all your help :) :) It managed to break and half of it is still embedded but it doesn't matter coz I've got the ply panel out and can now move on with my cleanup & redesign : victory:

#17 ·
use a left handed drill bit that way it pulls out the screw while you are drilling it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.