Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

the saddist thing you will ever read.

Tags
beardie
5K views 87 replies 29 participants last post by  Athravan 
#1 ·
woke up this morning to find our rat had escaped and got into our beardie's tank through an air vent, our two female beautiful citrus sub adult beardie's had been malled over night, the rat had bit both their faces right out and bit their tails out. the most disgusting thing i had ever seen.
it broke our hearts, we will miss them forever, they were so happy they were always jumping about, cant believe something would do this for no reason, we are going to give all our rats to our local farm as we can't look at them the same, really cant believe this happened just 4 hours ago.
be careful if you have these sort of animals, i would never have imagined this to happen, but it did.

miss you forever beardies, hope your in a great place, and im so sorry this happened to you. xxx

#17 ·
:2thumb:

#8 ·
well they have wrecked my home, killed two of my beautiful pets for no reason whatsoever, they chew all the cables, all the sideboards, the doors. they bite when we go in to clean and feed them. im sure some of them do make wonderful pets but in this case, they are disgusting!

#13 ·
I'm sorry for your loss and it's terrible what happened, but maybe the rats felt threatened and that's why they attacked. Rodents chew things, that's in their nature... it doesn't make them disgusting and they don't ask to be kept as pets by humans.
You aren't treating them like pets so you can't expect them to be perfect and not bite you.
This is a horrible accident and not the rats fault. R.I.P poor beardies.

#19 ·
Rats

On The Beardie tank there are 3 50mm air vents 2 which are covered by plastic caps one which is running the cables through these are at the top off the tank on the back, so when the rat climbed in there was no escape for anything as the tank was shut from the front. it was such a shame :-(

#20 ·
rats are horid we had the same thing but was a herman tortoise and it had all its feet we had the tortoise put to sleep and put a rat trap down surly anuf 5 mins later the rats was dead
my mum has bin bitten on the finger and had to go to a and e for stitches
not nice animals!

#23 ·
Sorry, but basically this is no-ones fault but your own! Rats are expert escape artists, so their housing should have been secure. Same goes for your Beardies viv, it should have been secure enough to keep them inside (as well as the heat) & other animals out! You cant blame the rat for your failings! Rats are prey animals, & when cornered by a predator, they will fight for their lives. Many a snake has been killed by idiots who feed live rats to them. Basically you shoudln't have obtained rats if you don't like them & obviously can't house them properly.

As for the sickos saying "I'd stamp on the rats head" etc, grow up!

Reactions: PresqueVu
#24 · (Edited)
exactly! would also be interested to know what happened to the poor things before you got them as I have had a fair few rats and none have bitten me even the rescues i got that had been treated awfully. just because this is a reptile site and rats are food for a fair few of the species on here doesnt mean they are any less of an animal, with feelings and they can feel pain. Yes its sad what happened to your beardies but ive had a beardie and rats many years and never had this happen because all of my animals are kept securely. would you react like this and want to stamp on your dogs head if had hurt one of the beardies (dno if you have a dog its an example)

ETA this really is the saddest thing i have read in a while , but only due to the attitude of some towards species they do not understand and seem to think are lesser beings

Reactions: PresqueVu
#26 ·
RIP Beardies, i have always loved beardies because they have such a big personality , i hat eseing them pass away or die it always seems to leave a gap empty

#29 ·
what a bunch of lossers

to the idiot that wants 2 stamp on the rats head or the other one wanting 2 drop it off a building i would like 2 see that happen 2 u.

yer lets all watch rats being eaten alive that will really make us feel better

#30 ·
And I'm jumping on the bandwagon too!

To the OP - I'm sorry to say this as you're obviously upset about your beardies, but there is only 1 person to blame in all of this and that is you.

You obviously know nothing about rats, so I wonder why you were keeping them too! Animals do not have human thoughts - they act on instinct alone. Rats are curious animals and the rat would have gone into the beardie's cage out of curiosity and then probably feeling trapped would be fighting for what it saw as survival. You cannot blame the rat for that. It should not have been able to escape from its cage and your beardies should have been better housed without holes that rats can chew into if you have them in the same room!

If you can't look after your animals properly and you don't like rats, then buy frozen ones like the rest of us do, instead of looking for a cheaper option! :bash:

#32 ·
This has been a tragic accident but in all honesty you cannot blame the rats, and the people that do obviously have never been around pet rats. They are the most loving, intellegent and inquisitive creatures, and make super fun animals to keep... if kept RIGHT!

I'm sorry about your beardies, but you are right for the wrong reason, this is the saddest thread i've ever read... because of all the idiots blaming the poor creature.

#33 ·
I have rats and chinchillas in the same room. The rats are all in indoor avairies and every evening the chins get free roaming time in this room. I thought I had made it safe but somehow the chins managed to get behind one of the cages and climb up the bars using the wall as support. Due to MY error, NOT the rats I now have a chin at the vets who may lose a front paw due to the rat biting it. If I had secured that one small place this accident would never have happened, we cant blame pets for our negligence.:devil:

#37 ·
to everyone who is making out like we blamed the rat, no we didnt. they were in a secure cage in a cupboard, with the door shut, sorry i didn't realise it would chew through metal bars!!! it couldn't have got out the cupboard door so the only hole we found possible for it to get out was the pipes that go into the wall and through to the living room! so i dont need a lecture on how to house my animals if metal bars aren't good enough then what is? i bought the 'RAT CAGE' from pets at home!
and to those who think i didnt treat the rats properly the adults were breeders, we were going to use the babies as food. the rats got fresh water and food everyday and cleaned twice a week so don't judge if you don't know :)!

i am hardly going to stamp on a rats head or chuck it off a cliff, these people were just expressing their anger knowing a rat is capable of this. we killed the rat who done it before we fed it to the snakes too, cause if we didn't it would be illegal.

it was an accident which happened, we have learnt our lessons and got rid of the rats.

rest in peace beardies, miss you loads x

#39 ·
to everyone who is making out like we blamed the rat, no we didnt. they were in a secure cage in a cupboard, with the door shut, sorry i didn't realise it would chew through metal bars!!! it couldn't have got out the cupboard door so the only hole we found possible for it to get out was the pipes that go into the wall and through to the living room! so i dont need a lecture on how to house my animals if metal bars aren't good enough then what is? i bought the 'RAT CAGE' from pets at home!
and to those who think i didnt treat the rats properly the adults were breeders, we were going to use the babies as food. the rats got fresh water and food everyday and cleaned twice a week so don't judge if you don't know :)!

i am hardly going to stamp on a rats head or chuck it off a cliff, these people were just expressing their anger knowing a rat is capable of this. we killed the rat who done it before we fed it to the snakes too, cause if we didn't it would be illegal.

it was an accident which happened, we have learnt our lessons and got rid of the rats.

rest in peace beardies, miss you loads x
So the rat's cage was inside a cupboard? Wow, your a great animal keeper! Deprive the rats of light, visual stimulation, decent air flow, etc.

<whats that noise? Oh its the dog, we keep him in a box under the stairs, he want to come out for a wee>

#38 ·
Actually the 'saddist' thing I have ever read is the title of this post! SaddEst!!

I cannot believe the reaction of some people on this forum. To those who have said they hate rats and that they should 'have their heads stomped on' or 'be dropped from a great height'- I'm sure they'd have been the first to complain if someone's escaped snake had eaten a rat and the shoe was on the other foot!

Disgusting, I cannot believe you can keep animals as pets but hold other living beings with such low regard. Horrible.

#42 ·
:notworthy: well said buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.