Reptile Forums banner

Corn breeding Question

850 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  e.francis 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
I put a pair of corns together for the first time last weekend and they locked straight away, which was great. I then left the male with the female for this last week and there have been signs (sperm dribbles) that they have locked a few more times. However, when I checked on the pair this morning there was a large puddle of blood in their rub. On closer inspection there was blood around both of their vents but no sign of either of them still bleeding. I seperated the pair straight away and both seem ok. I've just checked on them again (6 hours later, been at work) and they seem fine.
My questions are -
Is it normal for them to bleed during locking or releasing from locking? Should I be worried about the blood or is it normal?
Please don't laugh at this rambling message, this is my very first pairing of snakes and I want to make sure I do everything correctly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Glad to hear the panic is over.

No one answered the original question about bleeding. Male snake hemipenes have ornaments that make it harder to separate the two snakes after they have locked up. These ornaments include spines. I think those spines caused the bleeding. This sort of thing is fairly common but not desirable. IMO, you can separate the snakes now if you have not done it already.

#5 ·
Thanks Paulh,
Both snakes are fine and I did seperate them straight away. They have been together briefly since and they did copulate without any problems.
They are both seperated now and the male is doing well. However, the female hasn't eaten for 2 weeks but I think that's down to the fact that she's carrying eggs.

I have to admit I did panick at first as I was not expecting to find blood in their rub. I did have some good advice from a vet on another forum which put me at ease. I'll just have to be more carefull with this pairing in the future. Especially as the male seems very enthusiastic when it comes to copulation :lol2:
Thanks again
Liz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.