Reptile Forums banner

corn breeding question

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  toolrthebest 
#1 ·
hey all, just a quick question, when do you guys start pairing up your corns for breeding? i am hoping to start my first breeding project next year and was just wondering,
thanks in advance

#5 ·
My ghost, Torandre, gave me 16 eggs the first clutch last year and a second clutch of 10 eggs (all duds, did not re-introduce male). This year she gave me 15 eggs in the first clutch and a second clutch of 10 eggs (all fertile).

My pewter, Lacy, gave me 17 slugs in the first clutch, and another 11 slugs. She's been fertile all previous years with her previous owner. I think the fertility issue is likely with the male.

However, all my adults ARE getting brumated this year simply because I have so many now thanks to the breeding loan snakes I have. So I'll get to see the difference first-hand.

#6 ·
Does anyone have any tips for me as im looking to breed mine this year! I have a 900g male normal and a 450g female snow. would yhe size difference be a problem do you think? Also my male has been in his hide for the last week. should i start loerring temps or leave as they are?

#7 ·
Does anyone have any tips for me as im looking to breed mine this year! I have a 900g male normal and a 450g female snow. would yhe size difference be a problem do you think? Also my male has been in his hide for the last week. should i start loerring temps or leave as they are?
Sweet lord your male is enormous, are you feeding him small children? :lol2: I wouldn't imagine size difference would be a problem, he certainly won't have any trouble pinning the female down (doesn't is sound horrible?!) when it comes down to business!
In all seriousness, how big length wise is your male? Do you have any pics? Cos that is huuuge for a male, let alone a female!
It's up to you really if you want to brumate or not, I didn't lower the temps for mine at the beginning of year and my female (450g so same size as yours) laid 25+ fertile eggs.

#8 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Depends where you live I guess.
I changed how I do things a lot, starting 2 years ago.
I now hibernate until boxing day, start bringing the corns out then.
start feeding around 10-12 jan, build them up for a few weeks then start breeding.
I used to wait until the 1st shed, but listened to a guy who has bred for a lot longer than me, who never did...
seems, so far to be a much better way for me.

#10 ·
is it to late for me to brumate now?

#14 ·
no, I am about to put a few smaller males in for a short hibernation period.

#12 ·
Its my first year breeding so didnt know whether to or not? My female is still loving her food but my male is on a fast so didnt realy wanat to stop her feeding?

#15 ·
Brumation

I dont Brumate mine as I have heard bad stories about really cold days sparking RI in them and never want that to happen, I would rather no babies rather than an ill snake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.