Reptile Forums banner

2010 Skunk Kit Diary

27K views 192 replies 37 participants last post by  Loderuna 
#1 ·
Ftmphh gave birth 4 days ago to 5 little skunk kits. Fortunately she has not proven to be the psycho-mum that Blossom was last year, and is graciously allowing me to look into the nest at the kits. It is also fortunate because she has chosen the bottom of the pots and pans cupboard in the kitchen to den down in, right below the microwave.
I have no idea of the sexes yet but all five seem to be doing well.

The eye in this one just says "That's far enough!"

Hopefully if things continue like this I shall update this thread every day for anyone who's interested.

See less See more
#3 ·
Fantastic news! My little Lavender is expanding by the day, so hopefully there will be kits here too soon! Can you give me some tips on how to tell if they are getting close? I'm checking teats daily and I think I can feel movement when I put my hand under her belly. There's no milk yet, so I'm guessing she's at least a week away...

Hope your babies continue to do well!

#4 ·
cuties :flrt: loving the one with the spot

#14 ·
do you mind me askin ray how long you leave your male and female together to mate for?
we put chester and dice together, and after about an hour of him tryna figure out what to do, he was on her a couple of times, then she got nowty and started batterin the shit outta him so we swifty seperated them and are reluctant to put them back together.

#15 ·
All our females live with males 24/7 Cat, until they make it plain that they do not want to be around the male anymore. Blossom was speyed after her litter last year as she was a complete psychopath and we were not going through that again. Whilst she was mated by Pepe, Maple did not produce any babies, but Blossom did (also impregnated by Pepe). We have found that some females prefer certain males, Maple hates George with a passion, but has a big soft spot for Pepe and will tolerate Fred, Bluebell (speyed) will happily spend time with any of them.

#17 ·
It's possible that he may have caught her, but also possible he may have knocked her out of season. How along ago were they introduced?

#18 ·
It's possible that he may have caught her, but also possible he may have knocked her out of season. How along ago were they introduced?

was on the 9th of april so only a few weeks ago. shes been to the vets and he cant tell so early on. if shes been knocked out of season it doesnt matter, will just try again next time

#19 ·
Lavender's had her babies last night! Don't know how many, as I only heard a chorus of squeaks as she moved when I lifted the nest box lid. I put the lid back down and left her to it. Will keep you posted on progress!

#20 ·
Congrats Ray! They look uber cute :)

#23 ·
Lavender got out of the nest to grab a quick mouthful of chicken. She has very strong instincts for staying with the babies, but is not being aggressive - she did not stamp or hiss at me. I got a very quick look (more of a fleeting glance) in the nest and saw at least 6 babies, which seem very small, so I'm not too hopeful about survival.

A day at a time I guess...

#25 ·
Congratulations Loderuna, fingers crossed for you.

Well, a bit of sad news, we have lost one of the kits. We had our doubts whether it would make it as it was very small compared to the others, we think it was a twin as there is another small one (not as small) with exactly the same markings.
We have also sexed them and have two boys, and two girls remaining, and they are growing fast.

#27 ·
Thanks Fixx - sorry to hear about the little one and I hope the rest continue to grow fast!

#28 ·
awwww:flrt:

sorry for your loss :(

these guys are cute as hell! am currently trying to convince my OH into letting me have one when we move from our flat to a house!

good luck with the remaining kits, i will be watching the thread for updates!

amy

#29 ·
Aw, I'm really sorry for your loss. You can see in the first pic of your last post the noticable difference in size. Poor little one. Rest on peace angel baby!

Good luck with the remaining four!

And Loderuner, good luck with all your kits too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.