Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Fish Keeping

Old 29-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Super Regular
Unhappy my tropical fish are dying can anyone help??

hi everyone just after a little help, my tropical fish are dying 1 yesterday 3 today, i bought a siamese fighter on monday and yesterday morning it was laying on the bottom of the tank i tapped the tank and it swam off later on it was on top dead, i woke up this morning to find a clown loach and a guppy dead and in the last hour ive noticed a cardinal tetra swimming weak and looks like its going to die, dont know if it helps but the body on the tetra doesnt look straight, also ive got another fish which is about 6" long which has been laying on the bottom of the tank avery now and again since yesterday but doesnt look to be breathing but is still swimming about, ive tested the water myself with the ph and nitrate test kits everything was ok also took a water test to the pet shop and they said it was ok he gave me some melafix (antibacterial fish remedy) anyone got any ideas or solutions thanks paul, also no signs of whitespot ect
Old 29-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Premier Citizen

It wont be ph or nitrate,more likely nitrite or ammonia.Do a large water change immediately.Make sure you wash your filter media in tank water,not under the tap.
Old 29-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Postaholic Member
Reviews: 1

Def sounds like water quality!! What filtration are you running?

Marina
Old 29-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to mike515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berber King View Post
It wont be ph or nitrate,more likely nitrite or ammonia.Do a large water change immediately.Make sure you wash your filter media in tank water,not under the tap.

why won't it be these two? True more likely to be nitrite or ammonia, but high levels of nitrate are toxic and all three of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate cause pH problems. Significant rises in these 3 pollutants can cause massive changes in pH. If the pH changes quickly then this can and often will kill the fish.

To the Op. Testing for pH and nitrate is not enough. In addition to these you need to test ammonia, nitrite, GH and KH. GH and KH problems will again cause pH issues. If you lose a lot of hardness then the pH will crash causing problems for your fish.

You need to invest in a proper test kit. When you have the water tested by someone else you need to watch them do it. Ensure they do it properly. Then check the results yourself as well. Trust me, after a whole day testing water, even the best member of staff will be bored of it and may not be bothered to do it properly
1.1 leos, 1.1 fat tails, 0.1 Beardies. Fish: 2.2 P. Dovii, 7.11.8 Peacock Bass (5 sp), 1.1 C 'Cobra', 1.1 festae, 1.1 C. Marmorata, 1.1 C. Johani, 1.1 C. 'Strigata', 1.1 C. 'red tapojas'; 1.1 P. Friedrichsthalli, 1.1 Mots, 1.1 managuense, 1.1 H. Bocourti, 1.1 H. Pearsi, 1.1 H. Carpinte, 1.1 H. Cynoguttatum, 1.1 V. Argentea, 1.1 V. Zonatus, 1.1 N. Salvini, 2.2 Grammodes, 2.1.1 Hoplarchus Pssiticus, 2.1 Trimacs, 1.3 haitiensis, 1.1 tetracanthus, 1.1 Red tiger mots, 6 Uaru (2 sp) 1.1 Umbies, 1 Red tail catfish, 1.1 P. Leopoldii, 1.1 P. Motoro, 1 jelly catfish
Old 29-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Super Regular

its a fluval 205 external filter,il do a water change now then see how that goes, and il buy a proper test kit tommorow
Old 29-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Regular

Do the water changes as suggested and get your water checked out properly. Most pet shops who sell fish can do these or you can buy a kit yourself which will probably work out cheaper over time but some places do it for free just for the love of fish.
Old 29-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Premier Citizen

[quote=mike515;2755842]why won't it be these two? True more likely to be nitrite or ammonia, but high levels of nitrate are toxic and all three of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate cause pH problems. Significant rises in these 3 pollutants can cause massive changes in pH. If the pH changes quickly then this can and often will kill the fish.

Because the op has tested for these already,and the majority of fish deaths in the average tank are due to nitrite spikes,nitrate as you know does not suddenly kill numerous fish,as it takes a while to build up.In the years i worked in the trade,virtually every test i had to do for customers with the same problem was nitrite-stocking new tanks too quickly,or washing media under the tap.Lets wait for the op to do further tests....
Old 30-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to mike515

Nitrate can spike quickly in some cases. If something has been rotting in a low water flow area of gravel for example, then if it is disturbed then it can spike within hours.

Also even if it has increased slowly there is a point (around 100ppm) where very few fish will survive, even if the exposure has raised very slowly
1.1 leos, 1.1 fat tails, 0.1 Beardies. Fish: 2.2 P. Dovii, 7.11.8 Peacock Bass (5 sp), 1.1 C 'Cobra', 1.1 festae, 1.1 C. Marmorata, 1.1 C. Johani, 1.1 C. 'Strigata', 1.1 C. 'red tapojas'; 1.1 P. Friedrichsthalli, 1.1 Mots, 1.1 managuense, 1.1 H. Bocourti, 1.1 H. Pearsi, 1.1 H. Carpinte, 1.1 H. Cynoguttatum, 1.1 V. Argentea, 1.1 V. Zonatus, 1.1 N. Salvini, 2.2 Grammodes, 2.1.1 Hoplarchus Pssiticus, 2.1 Trimacs, 1.3 haitiensis, 1.1 tetracanthus, 1.1 Red tiger mots, 6 Uaru (2 sp) 1.1 Umbies, 1 Red tail catfish, 1.1 P. Leopoldii, 1.1 P. Motoro, 1 jelly catfish
Old 30-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Super Regular

ive taken another sample to viscum water gardens who tested the water for everything, they said the water is practicaly perfect for the fish?? another neon is dyin its brething but looks paralised
Old 30-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Premier Citizen

Have you sprayed any aerosols near the tank,or added any new plants? I only ask because some of the singapore fish farms, where the majority of plants are grown,dip the plants in some really toxic snail-killers.Also,do you have any chemical filtration such as carbon or zeolite in your external filter,these should be changed frequently.Keep doing small water changes anyway,but perhaps the fighter carried something nasty? Melafix will help,but you need to establish what disease it could be for accurate treatment.Photos may help.