Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Fish Keeping

Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Regular
Default cichlid help please

Wondered if anyone can give me any advice i have a 260 litre tank with very good filtration. in it i have
1 pair of bristlenose plecs
4 shell dwellers
7 kribensis
Just wondered if anyone has any ideas on some top swimming fish i could add to the tank please or other suitable tankmates
thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Forum Citizen

If you're looking for a surface level fish I'd suggest that you take a look at golden panchax.
I have a pair that get along perfectly well with my rainbow fish, rams, neon tetras and bulldog plecs.

Snakes - An assortment of garter snakes, including: radix, marcianus, infernalis, tetrataenia, cuitzeoensis, cyrtopsis.
Fish - 180l planted community tank, containing: Lake Kutubu rainbowfish, golden panchax, cardinal tetra, emperor tetra, bulldog plec, peppered cory, and ottos.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Regular

thanks will have a look and see about compatability with kribs and shell dwellers !
Old 28-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Regular

Should think Barbs would be ok, avoid smaller fish like guppys because the kribs will have nice snack. Possibly sword tails too would make a good option.

Needs to be fish with some nerve that can handle their own.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Super Regular

The shellies need different conditions to the kribs and bristlenose and can be pretty aggressive. Usually they are kept in a species only tank so that their needs can be fully catered for. Depending on what species you have you probably want to start a 45/60 liter tank with lots of sand and shells for them to sculpt to their liking. The water should be very hard with a high PH. Really interested little fish once they settle down and get a colony going.

That then gives you pretty much free reign in the big tank to keep it soft water and have whatever tetras or other softwater shoalers you like the look of.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Forum Citizen

Definitely consider Golden Panchax as mentioned, very pretty fish. Another possible consideration would be Halfbeaks, an unusual looking fish. Another surface dweller that I am having success with in my 300l tank is a Gar Characin or Rocket Gar, they are predatory upon small fish, but mine readily take cichlid pellets, flake, bloodworm and prawn . A very cool fish.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:14 PM
5 Star Member
Reviews: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy.rabbit View Post
Wondered if anyone can give me any advice i have a 260 litre tank with very good filtration. in it i have
1 pair of bristlenose plecs
4 shell dwellers
7 kribensis
Just wondered if anyone has any ideas on some top swimming fish i could add to the tank please or other suitable tankmates
thanks
Top swimming fish wise, their isn't always a lot of options with cichlids, Hatchets, Half beaks i'd assume would be fine, i'm not sure of their natural habitats PH though so they may not be compatible with African Cichlids, Also, 7 Kribs? the only time I've kept such a large amount is when i had a breeding pair which were left to their own devices and bred like crazy, a few grew up and were 'accepted' by the parents, other than that they usually fight in bigger groups, you may get away with a 1.2 male female ratio though. lots of hiding places etc... will be needed as they mature though and pick mates. Good luck with the setup
1.0 northern garter
Indexed BCI (possible hypo)
Unsexed 14' Japanese ratsnake
1.2 Madagascan day geckos
Avic sp
Chilean rose
Brachypelma emilia
Old 12-03-2013, 01:15 PM
5 Star Member
Reviews: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ony View Post
The shellies need different conditions to the kribs and bristlenose and can be pretty aggressive. Usually they are kept in a species only tank so that their needs can be fully catered for. Depending on what species you have you probably want to start a 45/60 liter tank with lots of sand and shells for them to sculpt to their liking. The water should be very hard with a high PH. Really interested little fish once they settle down and get a colony going.

That then gives you pretty much free reign in the big tank to keep it soft water and have whatever tetras or other softwater shoalers you like the look of.
Was gonna mention this but i've done it myself when unaware of how much a cichlid thrives in perfect conditions, and they were fine for a good 18 months together
1.0 northern garter
Indexed BCI (possible hypo)
Unsexed 14' Japanese ratsnake
1.2 Madagascan day geckos
Avic sp
Chilean rose
Brachypelma emilia