Would you be interested in... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Off Topic > Forum Help, Suggestions & News

Old 10-05-2017, 11:50 PM
Egg
Default Would you be interested in...

A site with 100's of different reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates, and filters such as Experience Level Required, Price, Size, Diet etc?

This is something I'm working on to help people choose their next exotic pet. It could be useful for beginners as they could use the filters to find a good beginner pet, e.g. small size, docile temperament, low price, beginner.

If this was working and looked good, would it be something you would use, or would recommend to someone looking to get into exotics?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 08:51 AM
Premier Member

It's not something I'd use to be honest , if you built it into THIS site , maybe giving it it's own section !?!7.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Egg

That would be pretty cool, but I can't figure out who I am supposed to speak to about any of this. Do you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Premier Member

I'm sure a mod will be able to shed some light on the options / situation.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:31 PM

I will flag it up for discussion with the other mods and then ultimately it will be up to the admin of the site.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:44 PM
Egg

Great, thank you.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Incorporating it directly into the site would be... probably not possible? Without knowing more about it's final form, I really can't say. But typically, unless it's designed to integrate with the site software it's usually more trouble then it's worth. Easier to have it hosted elsewhere and then have a link.

Those kind of "resource" sites are usually welcome additions. Again it depends on the final form. If it's just info with no forum, then good. But a link to another discussion site would be a no go.

Kevin
Old 11-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSadmin View Post
Incorporating it directly into the site would be... probably not possible? Without knowing more about it's final form, I really can't say. But typically, unless it's designed to integrate with the site software it's usually more trouble then it's worth. Easier to have it hosted elsewhere and then have a link.

Those kind of "resource" sites are usually welcome additions. Again it depends on the final form. If it's just info with no forum, then good. But a link to another discussion site would be a no go.

Kevin

I was thinking of it maybe being incorporated as maybe a thread or as a 'sticky' so it would be an addition to this site rather than competition .. We/you would obviously need to know more about the idea in question .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2017, 09:18 PM
Egg

I'm not expecting this to be a forum or discussion site, and not competition in any way as it does not deliver the same content as this forum. I can give an example of it's functionality:

If someone was just getting into the hobby, and was looking into getting either a lizard, tortoise or salamander, then would be able to tick these three boxes and have only these animals show.

They could then go onto tick the 'Low Cost' and 'Low Maintenance Cost', and also 'Beginner' as they are new to the hobby. This would show a grid of lizards, tortoises and salamanders that are a low cost to buy, low cost to maintain, and a beginner pet. There are also options for size, diet (carnivore, insectivore etc) and more.

It will most likely contain basic information such as enclosure size and diet, but not in depth guides as I know there are other places to gain this information e.g. this forum.

I see it as a way to steer people into the right direction in regards choosing the correct animal when getting into the hobby or looking for something new. I don't see this as competition to this forum at all
Old 12-05-2017, 01:04 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom7 View Post
I'm not expecting this to be a forum or discussion site, and not competition in any way as it does not deliver the same content as this forum. I can give an example of it's functionality:

If someone was just getting into the hobby, and was looking into getting either a lizard, tortoise or salamander, then would be able to tick these three boxes and have only these animals show.

They could then go onto tick the 'Low Cost' and 'Low Maintenance Cost', and also 'Beginner' as they are new to the hobby. This would show a grid of lizards, tortoises and salamanders that are a low cost to buy, low cost to maintain, and a beginner pet. There are also options for size, diet (carnivore, insectivore etc) and more.

It will most likely contain basic information such as enclosure size and diet, but not in depth guides as I know there are other places to gain this information e.g. this forum.

I see it as a way to steer people into the right direction in regards choosing the correct animal when getting into the hobby or looking for something new. I don't see this as competition to this forum at all

I'd just rather incorporate the idea which sounds interesting ... So we all benefit from the amalgamation ...and both get increased traffic ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
exotics , new pet , pet