Bought Some Glass, Today ....! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 19-05-2017, 10:12 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Bought Some Glass, Today ....!

Dear God!!! I guess I forgot I always used to scrounge up old windows and stuff. Cut them myself. On the carpet. If I broke a sheet? So what? Plenty more where that came from.

So, I told my mate, today, I was going into town, to get some glass cut for a new tank I want. Had a three footer in mind. Something around 36 x 18 x 12" should do it.

Rolled into the glass place. Told the guy what I wanted. Mentioned what for, so he'd better understand the precise measurements I was asking for. He insisted the base needed be Plate Glass, else the thing could break.

I didn't think so, myself. But, I got the sense that, had I insisted on just plain, window glass for the base? He'd have point blank refused to cut it. So, what ever .....

We got the glass sorted out. Tried bits, to ensure it'd all go together. Rubbed all the edges smooth. Carried it into the shop and put it on the counter.

Bloke there looked at it. Measured it. Tapped away at a calculator. Finally looked up with a smile and said; " Sixty Euro's, Please. " And I'm like; , inside. But, outwardly, I about manage

Hadn't given the price of glass a moments thought, to be honest. Never even entered my head what it might cost.

Still, look on the bright side: I get a custom sized tank that'll fit exactly where I want it. And, such a size would cost about that much anyway. Plus, I'd have to pay about €40.00, in taxi fare, to go and get the damn thing!

Fun and games, with masking tape and silicone, tomorrow then
Advertisement

Old 19-05-2017, 10:23 PM
Regular

glass is great!

Old 19-05-2017, 11:58 PM
Ultra Citizen

What are your plans for the tank Snappo?

Keep meaning to get some glass and have a go with a custom tank.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-05-2017, 12:42 AM
Forum Citizen

I'm building a bigger tank for my Snapper, Fish. He's in a 2 x 1 x 1', at the moment. Fine, as he's only 3 1/2" himself.

But, I'm making an aprox 3' x 17" x 12" now. (We had to adjust the last two figures according to the glass available. Three foot and within an inch of the rest) That'll be ready next week. Snappo goes in there.

Then, my toads get his old tank. It'll be brilliant for them. Lid's ventilated perfectly for them. It'll be lovely to have them in here too. Right now, they've living in the kitchen.

Next, I'll make another tank, for my Pyxicephalus! (Yes! I've cracked, completely, Fish! Body surfing that slippery slope. Laughing with delight all the way! ) I've got my finger on a supplier, in england, who reckons they can get stuff Live Couriered here for £50.00!!!

I'm asking them for the Bullfrog. And, I have someone here who wants some B. viridus. Idea is that I'll buy the lot. Have then delivered here. Green Toad girl can then come over and pick up her toads.

The only possible other options being Cork or Dublin. She's in Clare. So, I'm miles away from her. But, Cork's like another country away. And Dublin's the breadth of the country. I'm about halfway. Save her one hell of a journey and a tank of petrol.

What next, ye may ask? Dunno. But, I'm absolutely gonna get me another Habistat Dimmer Stat. And a bunch of blue light bulbs!

Thinking back ~ as I constantly am, these days; I wouldn't exactly have to think too long and hard, if the chance of another Tiger Salamander came up!

Maybe I should have a good, hard think? What ever this outfit charges me for a courier run? One box would be better than box, after box, after box!

Better to plan. Wait patiently. And blow the months entire pension on The Lot. Rather than spend months, and €100's, on repeated runs for single creatures.

Did ye ever see my original Intro' post here, Fish? This one. And, already, here I am with More 'cool toads'! And actively seeking more!

I'm a lost cause, mate! Amphibian Addict!

Tags
glass , making tanks