Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 04-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to The Roach Hut
Default Fake Rock Possibilities?

Hi guys after building my own fake rock build and some people showing great interest in getting one made I have given it thought as to building one for a 4 x 2 x 2 and selling them. if i can build it and it not take too long and be worth my time financially then I may make it a permanent thing where i would accept orders based on half before and half after construction. The half payment before would be for materials or some of them. I think its possible to make them so that the viv roof could be removed and they just slot in or made in 3 pieces however way il figure that out.

At the moment Im just thinking of those who might be interested in it.

Here is some pics of what mine was like and a video link so u can see it now. I have an idea on what to do if it was to ever chip paint but eveything should work perfect

Here is the Video Link if u want to see a video

YouTube - My Bearded Dragons Vivarium With Fake Rock Walls

And for those interested in seeing just how much work went into the entire build here is a link for that

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/habit...t-x-4ft-x.html

Now please understand im only thinking of building the fake rock backrounds not entire vivs. So if anyone would be interested then let me know as i need to see if i can make it worth my while

Tony
Miller07 likes this.

You can now follow us on Youtube, Twitter and facebook (Also has an online shop along with our own site), just search for the roach hut and send a friend request.

All Payments and emails should be sent to the following address [email protected]
we only post out roaches monday - thursday to avoid them sitting in depo over weekend
Call me on 07762 696169

Video Of Our Fake Rock Build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cidiosztwjs

Now Trading As The Roach Hut
Old 04-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Hatchling

mate fair play this has got to be one of the best vivs i have seen just 2 question what are the rocks painted with and how much for a viv sized 3'x2'x2' many thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Declan123

Absolutly Amazing mate,

Just a quick question.

How did you go about making the sky so realistic ?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Super Regular

Omg it's gorgeous. I've been thinking about making my own fake rocks for a while but to be honest I don't know where to start with the design, i.e. what would look good, what would be practical and what the dragons would enjoy. My dragons are in separate vivs, one's a 3ft vivexotic the other a 4 x 2 x 2. (Btw do your dragons all get along in the same viv? Just wondering cos I was told to separate mine, cos they're male and female.) Would your postage be very expensive?
1.2.16 Tarantulas - female B. smithi, male B. smithi, female C. crawshayi, MM B. vagans, G. pulchra, P. striata, N. chromatus, C. cyaneopubescens, H. lividum, A. versicolor, L. parahybana, L. violaceopes, T. apophysis, 3 P. murinus, P. pulcher, A. metallica and B. albopilosum
Old 04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Forum Citizen

I have a quick question... Where is your UV tube?? If it is hidden just above the front liip then isnt that abit far away from the dragons??
I say this because I am in the middle of builing one and cant deside where to mount mine!

Alister
Old 04-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads31 View Post
mate fair play this has got to be one of the best vivs i have seen just 2 question what are the rocks painted with and how much for a viv sized 3'x2'x2' many thanks
The rocks are painted with waterbased acrylic paints many many layers to get the effect. Now im also going to be using paint within the grout itself so its coloured and if it ever chipped you wouldnt see it. I Dont think there is a need to seal this with acrylics as i dont like the shiny effect and as they are safe and can be washed down with a cloth i prefer the natural look, however if you want it sealed I can seal it with yaht varnish but at extra cost I just dont link it being shiny. Im not sure on prices yet im just looking to see if there is interest out there and if so then i will see how cheaply i can do various sizes

Tony

You can now follow us on Youtube, Twitter and facebook (Also has an online shop along with our own site), just search for the roach hut and send a friend request.

All Payments and emails should be sent to the following address [email protected]
we only post out roaches monday - thursday to avoid them sitting in depo over weekend
Call me on 07762 696169

Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan123 View Post
Absolutly Amazing mate,

Just a quick question.

How did you go about making the sky so realistic ?
Thats just painted blue and then used white paint mixed and just dabbed on the secret is to get as much paint off the brush as posible before touching the sky with it.

Call me on 07762 696169

Old 04-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynestaley View Post
Omg it's gorgeous. I've been thinking about making my own fake rocks for a while but to be honest I don't know where to start with the design, i.e. what would look good, what would be practical and what the dragons would enjoy. My dragons are in separate vivs, one's a 3ft vivexotic the other a 4 x 2 x 2. (Btw do your dragons all get along in the same viv? Just wondering cos I was told to separate mine, cos they're male and female.) Would your postage be very expensive?
I only keep females in this viv, some ppl keep males and females together with no probs but i believe it is best to seperate them.

Postage would depend on size and wether or not i decide to buil as one unit or 3 parts but as it wouldnt be too heavy i shouldnt think it cost too much. but like i said atm im just seeing if there enough interest out there to make it worth my while investing in the equipment to speed the process up

The good thing for you is that im only about 10 miles from you so you could pick it up when ready as i live by Cardiff Airport

Call me on 07762 696169

Last edited by The Roach Hut; 04-08-2009 at 10:34 PM..
Old 04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister View Post
I have a quick question... Where is your UV tube?? If it is hidden just above the front liip then isnt that abit far away from the dragons??
I say this because I am in the middle of builing one and cant deside where to mount mine!

Alister

Hi alister. There is a tube in the viv right at the front as you though and your right this is way to high for dragons to benefit from. but this tube is only a tropical fish tank tube and il explain that in a sec.

The large bulb in the center is called an MVB (Megaray) its 275watt which is what is needed for my viv this bulb produces very high levels of UVA and UVB infact around 10 times more than a standard tube and this bulb needs to be at least 2 ft from the basking site.

The tropical tube is just the to balance out the light as it provides the other end of the spectrum.

Hope that clarifies things for you

Tony

Call me on 07762 696169

Old 04-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister View Post

Alister
that viv is running an MVB bulb, UV tubes would NEVER be sufficient for a viv that size. ive seen zoo enclosures smaller than this housing beardies and similar desert species. i should think its one of the best non-zoo Beardie vivariums in the world.

edit: had this thread open in a tab whilst i replied to some others and got beaten to it lol