Reptile Forums banner

First ever fake background

4K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  gibzy 
#1 ·
After i had completed phase one of my project

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/habitat/592398-new-stack-build.html

I thought i better get my rear into gear and make a start at a fakie background...... Please don't be harsh this is my first attempt.

I have used 2 space boards from B&Q (1200 x 500 x 50.4mm)@ £4.95 each. I stared off by marking all of the shapes of the stones i wanted onto the board and set to hacking all of the bit off i didn't want with a drill and suitable wire brush attachment.

Here is the result of all that hacking.

After that i added some basking ledges for the beardies. To get these to stay in place i put recesses the background and used kebab skewers to steady, and dabbed some adhesive to ensure fixing.

Then it was on with the first layer of watered down grout

More updates soon, what do you think for a start ?

See less See more
#6 ·
2nd Layer of grout

Well, the mess began again and the second layer of grout is finally on.

Here are the results

Will 2 layers of grout be enough so that i can go ahead and paint and seal?

Can i more or less use any paint ?

And i take it floor varnish will be ok !

Thanks

Shaun

#9 ·
With the 3rd and final layer of grout on (and dry) i have opted for the plasti-kote sandstone rattle can effect. 2 layers of this with 2 hours of dry time in between has brought me to this point

What colour dry brush would you recommend before i seal it with varnish, unsure of it at the moment.

#11 ·
Right here we go, nearly finished now. With dry brushing complete and in the process of drying off ready for a couple of coats of matt varnish, i am pretty pleased at my first go at this. Was nowhere near as hard as what i expected.

Here are the snaps so far

What you all think?

#17 ·
Finally its finished

Finally managed to fit the background into the viv, was less hassle than expected.

Here are the results

Charlie

Lola

Fancy making another one now though :lol2:

#25 ·
great job mate. i kept telling everyone when i did mine its not as hard as it looks and u proved me right by turning out a wicked piece

#30 ·
Try it, you will be surprised at what you can achieve. if you really balls the first one up, its only the cost of a space board (£4)

Wow, that's absolutely gorgeous, and your beardies look pretty chuffed with it. Fabby :no1:
Thanks, they are doing my head in with i though. taking ownership of one ledge isnt enough, my one female wants to be in charge of all three.....all at the same time :bash:

#29 ·
Wow, that's absolutely gorgeous, and your beardies look pretty chuffed with it. Fabby :no1:

Reactions: gibzy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.