Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Habitat

Old 23-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Super Regular
Default expanding foam or back/side panels

Whats everyones thoughts I will be starting my first viv soon for darts and am towing with the idea of which way to go? I am looking at a waterfall feature too and again should I use expanding foam to make the channel or maybe just wood to direct the flow?

thanks
Old 23-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Ultra Citizen

you're going for one of those sloped glass viv's arn't you fella, may i recommend highly you read

Da DART ROOM(n SHED LOADSA pics)

it's mega long and there is alot to sift through, however the builds in there are stunning, think pages 50 onwards you'll see some and then 111 also, just got to skim through to find techniques and pics to get your juices flowing, did this last night and i couldnt stop thinking about it, so much so i had to run out and buy more wood today. seriously do it
oakwell likes this.
Old 24-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Super Regular

Can anyone recomend the best foam sealer and anything else i need.to start foaming
Old 24-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Ultra Citizen

you can buy waterfall and pond foam here Black Waterfall Expanding Foam

you can seal it with many things, there are many methods, fatlad69 has a thread Dart frog Exo build (pic heavy) which shows you plastidip and rockoflex, tho i've had a nightmare with this.

you can get ha6 silicone for under 3 quid on amazon, or you could go over the foam with GG glue, Dave (my Shed) told me to lather it on and smear it around and spray it, leave it for 15-20 when it gets all creamy coloured and then start pressing WET substrate into it as much as poss every 5 mins till it stops expanding, bout an hour. theres also a tip i got from an american friend which is using titebond III pva glue. i'd personally use a piece of cork or such wood as a stream/waterfall, channels it and rots less than other woods.

i've also been looking into g4 pond sealer, as used in this great viv build My Green Tree Python Paludarium
Old 24-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meefloaf View Post
you can buy waterfall and pond foam here Black Waterfall Expanding Foam

you can seal it with many things, there are many methods, fatlad69 has a thread Dart frog Exo build (pic heavy) which shows you plastidip and rockoflex, tho i've had a nightmare with this.

you can get ha6 silicone for under 3 quid on amazon, or you could go over the foam with GG glue, Dave (my Shed) told me to lather it on and smear it around and spray it, leave it for 15-20 when it gets all creamy coloured and then start pressing WET substrate into it as much as poss every 5 mins till it stops expanding, bout an hour. theres also a tip i got from an american friend which is using titebond III pva glue. i'd personally use a piece of cork or such wood as a stream/waterfall, channels it and rots less than other woods.

i've also been looking into g4 pond sealer, as used in this great viv build My Green Tree Python Paludarium
That pond foam looks amazing and removes the need to seal at all. A few highlights with Krylon paint and it should be safe and stylish even under water right?
Old 16-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Super Regular

ok a few questions on foam.

1, is there any local diy shops (wickes/b&q) that sell any that are dartfrog safe?
2, Are all safe is sealed?
3, Do I have to use silicone on glass before I add foam?
4, Can I just use silicone and brush on a substrate to get the effect I want
Old 16-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Ultra Citizen

right, i'd get the black foam, but if getting normal, AVOID the one's which ARE Flame Retardant. The silicone is generally for asthetic's, but also helps the foam to adhere apparently, just remember to lightly wet the surface you are wanting to foam, it'll help it seal/adhere. do not spray it on too thick, like maybe an inch thick if you can, the bigger the expansion the more likely you are to have uncured foam. Once it's fully cured it is safe for frogs. the other tip i'll give is to carve it down to what you want, take off that top layer basically, it'll help your chosen background material adhere, although some epoxy etc will melt/warp the foam, i had plastidip shrink mine.

as for silicone, i'm unsure on the method, tho loads of video's on youtube showing you how. i use gg glue, get the surface wet (and anything you are applying, wood branches etc) go wild with it and smear it over what you want to cover, once it's creamy and white start pressing in DAMP substrate.

another method i have seen used is Titebond III pva glue mixed with eco earth and then painted on
Old 16-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meefloaf View Post
right, i'd get the black foam, but if getting normal, AVOID the one's which ARE Flame Retardant. The silicone is generally for asthetic's, but also helps the foam to adhere apparently, just remember to lightly wet the surface you are wanting to foam, it'll help it seal/adhere. do not spray it on too thick, like maybe an inch thick if you can, the bigger the expansion the more likely you are to have uncured foam. Once it's fully cured it is safe for frogs. the other tip i'll give is to carve it down to what you want, take off that top layer basically, it'll help your chosen background material adhere, although some epoxy etc will melt/warp the foam, i had plastidip shrink mine.

as for silicone, i'm unsure on the method, tho loads of video's on youtube showing you how. i use gg glue, get the surface wet (and anything you are applying, wood branches etc) go wild with it and smear it over what you want to cover, once it's creamy and white start pressing in DAMP substrate.

another method i have seen used is Titebond III pva glue mixed with eco earth and then painted on

Great right ordered the black stuff tonight so I can get away with putting a silicone background on first of I just wet the back lightly then spray on about a inch thick?

couple more questions get ready lol

1, how do u shape it? am I best waiting till its cured to carve away?
2, Do u just get a rough shape as to what you want?
3, if I want to add plantpots in there there do I silicone them on back first them foam around?
4, same for wood add first then foam around?
5, any local DIY shops sell the glue you mention? if not a link?
6, What substrate would you stick on and if poss a link?
Old 16-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Ultra Citizen

1+2 to shape it you can use a steak knife or a dremel if you have one, i just carved it, but doesnt give great 'shapes' although the earth and glue will hide that anyways really

3+4 I GG glued my pots and branches in first, but you can silicone them in, then foam around them, gg just gives a nice strong grip personally. on my first build i foamed some of the wood in, but this does lead to them ending up in the wrong place if you handling isnt great.

5. Titebond III ? amazon is only place i seen it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Titebond-III...s=titebond+iii here's who i got it off build. Madagascar Mantella Paludarium

6. you can use anything really, eco earth, tree fern etc

Tags
backpanel, dartfrog, foam