Reptile Forums banner

Hands Off Our Hobby Petition

8K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  Natrix 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sign our petition and help us to say
Hands off our hobby!

Please join us as we ask politicians across the UK to safeguard the future of the exotic pet keeping hobby.

Sign our petition on http://www.change.org/p/secretary-o...-hobby-let-s-tell-uk-political-parties-exotic asking UK law makers to recognise that keeping exotic pets whether captive bred or legally and sustainably wild caught is not a bad thing and is just as acceptable and in many cases more easily achievable than having a dog or cat as a pet.
We want UK politicians to protect the hobbyists ability to enjoy their hobby in the foreseeable future by promising to oppose any future attempt to ban exotic pet ownership or attempts to put in place draconian unscientific legislation controlling the import. export, breeding and selling of exotic species.

Can you help us further? Please ask family, friends, neighbours, even the person next to you in the bus queue to sign our Hands Off Our Hobby Petition. We need our politicians to realise just how popular exotic pet keeping is and how many voters they could upset.

Thank you for your support.

For more information about this petition go to our web site at https://handsoffourhobby.wordpress.com/
Or join us on our face book page at https://www.facebook.com/HandsOffOurHobby

Gordon Glasson
FBH Vice Chairman

A.DMIN NOTE This is being posted in the help sections in order that people can see this.It will be moved around from help section to help section.

See less See more
#4 ·
Every organisation seems to have it's own definition of what makes an animal exotic. The one below is from the BVZS and manages to cover almost everything under the exotic pet banner.

Definition of exotic animals​
Exotic pets are strictly defined as being one of the non domestic animals, i.e. not cat, dog,​
cow, horse, sheep, pig or commercial chicken. All others are therefore, strictly speaking,​
exotic. However in practice no-one would still consider the rabbit or guinea pig kept as a pet​
as an exotic pet. Thus the true definition needs to be redefined.​
For practical purposes we consider exotic pets to include all the non domestic and small furry​
animals, i.e. rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, plus reptiles, amphibians, birds, invertebrates etc.​
This still encompasses an enormous range of animals.

#3 ·
Thank you to everyone that has signed and shared the petition so far.

The petition has been signed at the rate of approximately two signatures every minute since it went live at 1 pm.

As I write this it has just hit 1,078 signatures which is about where I was hoping to be by the end of the week, not the end of the day.

I am amazed and stunned.

Thank you all again and keep asking all your friends to sign.

Gordon

#14 ·
Every time I've signed one of these kind of e-petitions in the past, I've ended up with a slurry of bloody junk mail. So I won't be signing, sorry. :)

#17 ·
Every time I've signed one of these kind of e-petitions in the past, I've ended up with a slurry of bloody junk mail. So I won't be signing, sorry. :)
You think that's bad, try setting up a petition. I get notified every time some one signs it, every time it reaches 500, 1000, 1500 etc. and they constantly send out information e-mails on how to increase peoples awareness of the petition etc.
I have had nearly 3,600 e-mails in the last three days. I've got a blister on my finger from keep hitting the delete button.:lol2:
I believe as a signee you can tick the no spam box as you join up.

Gordon

#27 ·
A quick update on the petition.

As expected, the signing rate has slowed down a bit over the last couple of days but tonight, just six days after starting it, it has reached the 5,000 signature mark.

This is way above were we expected to be at this point when we started.

Thank you everyone that has signed it and a big thank you to everyone that has taken the time to promote the petition on other sites. Please keep up the good work.

Gordon

FBH VC

#30 ·
#31 ·
am having quite an interesting discussion on another forum about this -

as I understand this is targeting pets only not farm animals or livestock, but for example, many people keep alpacas but do they actually use the wool? In that instance are they pets or livestock?

what about peacocks? if their purpose is only ornamental and they rely on being fed are they not technically pets?

#34 ·
Goats are another grey area. I had two for about fifteen years. They never produced anything and cost me a fortune to look after. They surely were pets.

I believe peacocks are specifically designed to sit on my roof and damage it. I also believe that my neighbours peacock my find itself in a cider and herb bath, whilst wearing a pastry over coat the next time it decides to rearrange my roof tiles.:whistling2:
And then there's the ruddy awful noise that they make:bash:

Gordon

#36 ·
I own a large plot (just over an acre) of land in the countryside surrounded by farmland. My nearest neighbour has five peacocks and the guy further up the road has about twenty, all free ranging. We are also surrounded by drainage canals including around the parameter of my land. We have resident ducks and moorhens and do get the occasional visit from wild geese and the odd cattle egret. The group of pheasants that hang around will come when called for a hand full of corn.
My particular plot is an old apple orchard with lots of old trees and we have a breeding pair of Greater spotted woodpeckers and a pair of tawny owls that hang around the garden. We also get visited every night by barn owls.
The grounds are visited by badgers, roe and munt jack deer as well as foxes and my roof is a registered bat roost.
I'm also currently enjoying a small flock of bull finches that have been hanging around all winter and mixing in with the resident chaffinches, greenfinches and gold finches.
We have also recently gained a buzzard who seems to like my neighbours stand of pine trees about half a mile up the road.

Oh and just for something a bit different we get visited by a small flock of ring neck parakeets that belong to the local parrot rescue centre.

In case anyone has figured it out there is a very good reason that I brought this place 18 years ago and I'm not moving.

Gordon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.