Latest news re the EU Invasive Alien Species legislation - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > Hobby Issues & Information

Old 07-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Latest news re the EU Invasive Alien Species legislation

I have just been informed that the EU Commission voted on the 4th Dec to adopt the list of Invasive Alien Species as proposed. This new legislation comes into effect on the 2nd of Jan 2016 but will take time to implement into UK legislation.
This list includes Red Eared Terrapins and Yellow bellied terrapins (the two most commonly kept species in the UK) as well as chipmunks, racoons and coatis.
This is only the starter list and it will be reviewed every three years. Animal rights groups and environmental groups will be pushing to get more pet species added at future reviews.
As things currently stand we think private owners will be allowed permits to keep their animals for the rest of their natural life span but will be banned from breeding, buying and selling them. Commercial owners (i.e. Zoo’s, wildlife park, animal encounter groups etc.) will not be allowed to keep the animal listed and will have to euthanize all animals kept but this may change in the future.
The list is going to be challenged in the European Parliament on the 15th of this month and keepers can write to their MEP’s asking them to support the challenge.
This has the potential to be an absolute disaster for animal welfare and indeed invasive species as this will undoubtedly lead to huge numbers of animals being released into the wild, if people think their animals are going to be threatened with being removed and euthanatized. It also appears to be a death sentence for many animals held in zoos. Whilst I am sure the Animal Rights Industry will be ecstatic those of us with empathy for animals and a passion for animal welfare will be deeply disappointed. Today is a very sad day.
There is a Facebook page for those affected by this at https://www.facebook.com/groups/800115073428771/?fref=ts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-12-2015, 12:26 AM
Gold Star Member

Having read through the legislation, I haven't seen anything that stats that commercial owners will have to euthanize. I may have missed that bit, could you provide the relevant section of the EU regulation that states this please?
I'm struggling to see the rationale behind "private keeper can keep the specimen, zoos can't"
Old 13-12-2015, 02:34 AM
Premier Citizen

Sickening...

My Flickr photo album
>click<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Premier Citizen

Where is the current complete list anyhow?

My Flickr photo album
>click<
Old 15-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
Having read through the legislation, I haven't seen anything that stats that commercial owners will have to euthanize. I may have missed that bit, could you provide the relevant section of the EU regulation that states this please?
I'm struggling to see the rationale behind "private keeper can keep the specimen, zoos can't"
This. & zoos without racoons?
Old 15-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Regular

Euthanasia of those already in captivity? That's some backwards legislation.
Old 15-12-2015, 09:54 PM
Ultra Citizen

I find it ironic how they are banning many popular pet species classed as invasive, but ignore the fact that the massive amounts of cats in this country are more damaging and abundant than a few populations of other invasive animals.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Last edited by FishForLife2001; 15-12-2015 at 10:01 PM..
Old 15-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAnt View Post
Euthanasia of those already in captivity? That's some backwards legislation.
Well it will be impractical, not to mention impossible for them to track down every private owner of invasive animals, batter their door down, & declare 'We've come to kill your pets!' But they can & will do that to zoos.
Old 16-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
I can't find it either .Very strange as what's to stop zoos etc simply giving the animals to private keepers . Can't be right surely
Old 17-12-2015, 09:37 AM

The legislation has been rejected by the European Parliament with a large majority. This doesnt mean that it will not become law as the European Commission can ignore the vote and still implement the regulation.

But its a a start and gives breathing space for people to write to the MP (not MEP) and to Lord Gardiner at DEFRA to ask whether the UK will ask the European Commission to recommend the withdraw the legislation and time for definitive assessments to be carried out and a vote on a species by species basis.

Lord Gardiner,
DEFRA Offices,
Nobel House, 17 Smith Square,
London. SW1P 3JR

Drayvan and AdamAnt like this.