Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts > Invert Care Sheets

Old 15-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default M. Balfouri care sheet

As there is not a lot of information on this stunning species I thought I would sit down and write a care sheet for it. if i have missed any thing or put the wrong thing please add it to this thread as i'd like this care sheet to be as complete as possible
Over View

Monocentropus Balfouri A gorgeous Blue spider commonly know as the Socotra Island Blue Baboon comes from a group of islands in the Indian ocean with the main island called Socotra. Which is located approx. 190 NM south of the Arabian Peninsula (important to remember for temps etc…) and although this is a very expensive spider it is still hardy and can be considered a good choice (if some what expensive) for anybodies first experience with old world tarantulas.

Housing

this is a very prolific Webber and will cover its cage in webbing. Apart from that it should be considered a burrower / terrestrial and the enclosure should be set up with this in mind.

Substrate should be about 6 inches for burrows. Some decoration can be added such as pieces of bark or plastic plants to give the spider places to web up and retreat to.

Adding a water dish is a sensible idea even though very low humidity is required. (Better safe then sorry with a couple of hundred pounds worth of spider!)

Other info

size small to medium adult size

growth is reasonably fast with maturity reached at around 2 years. Life span is still N/A as this species is to new to the hobby to know for sure.

Temperature 25 - 28 °C is ideal. Although it will tolerate 18°C to 36°C which may effect growth rates. And activity levels.

Humidity in the wild humidity is between 7% and 55% which can be hard to replicate in the UK so it is best to just leave it bone dry. With possibly a quick spray on the side of the tank once every so often.

Temperament M. Balfouriis shy but fast and comes with the usual Baboon attitude so watch your fingers!

Food crickets and the usual array of live foods will do fine.

Mating Females can be sexually mature at just 4 inch’s and as this species can be kept communally it is considered easy to mate.

Sexing. Males and females can be differensated by the colour markings on there legs males will typically have blue covering all the legs while females first leg segment if normally a lighter tan colour.

spiderlings will eat smaller crickets and can be housed together. The egg sac can be removed from there mothers cage and moved to a separate cage as these are a rare and expensive species and this reduces the chance of any “accidents”. M. Balfouri’s tend to have a smaller number of offspring then other spiders and as a result have much higher survival rates.
1.0.0 E. Vulpinus (Juvi)
0.1.0 H. Lividum
0.1.0 M. Balfouri
0.1.0 A. Metallica

Have had alot more
Old 15-03-2010, 04:29 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto2k View Post

Mating Females can be sexually mature at just 4 inch’s and as this species can be kept communally it is considered easy to mate.

Also has been noted in observation and articles on breeding that the spiderlings from the egg sac have been know to keep with the mother for some time at the start.
Old 15-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned
Reviews: 9
Send a message via MSN to _TiMiSdRuNk_

I guess it's a pity no one can afford more than one :P
Old 18-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Super Citizen

I saw someone offering three juvies - probably about 2.5 inch leg span, already cohabiting for £150 at Hamm. Prices of these little fellas is gonna tumble big time soon i reckon.
Old 18-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakakadave View Post
I saw someone offering three juvies - probably about 2.5 inch leg span, already cohabiting for £150 at Hamm. Prices of these little fellas is gonna tumble big time soon i reckon.
maybe in 2-3 years but untill then expect to pay though the nose!
1.0.0 E. Vulpinus (Juvi)
0.1.0 H. Lividum
0.1.0 M. Balfouri
0.1.0 A. Metallica

Have had alot more
Old 18-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Banned

I think the more slings become available the cheaper they will become, i've heard that there not all that difficult to breed and it won't be long before someone who's not in this for the money breeds them and knocks them out at £20 a sling turning the prices right round
Old 19-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Ultra Citizen

the first CB ones will be ready to breed next year possibly the year after that. i have no doubt that in time they will be alot cheaper!
1.0.0 E. Vulpinus (Juvi)
0.1.0 H. Lividum
0.1.0 M. Balfouri
0.1.0 A. Metallica

Have had alot more
Old 19-03-2010, 06:37 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiMiSdRuNk_ View Post
I guess it's a pity no one can afford more than one :P
There was a dude on the T store selling about 35 of various sizes that he had as private specimens...I wonder if it was his demand that upped the price!

Quote:
"Anyone who has watched insects or animals living their lives freely in the open knows that they do not always do their everyday duties in the same way; that there are in each population conservatives and radicals, stupid, brilliant, mediocre, and probably insane individuals" - Rau, 1933
Old 20-03-2010, 02:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB View Post
There was a dude on the T store selling about 35 of various sizes that he had as private specimens...I wonder if it was his demand that upped the price!
Lol who knows, but someones to blame for this! Normally i don't go for a spider because it has blue on it, but i must admit i actually wouldn't mind a few of these but i'm not one of those that will pay that stupidly high price
Old 20-03-2010, 02:16 AM
No Life Member
Send a message via MSN to mythicdawn07

The hobby is growing the price will only go up in my opinion once i get myself sorted i might have to buy myself a pair , Have to admit they are a stunning species.