Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Lizard Care Sheets (http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizard-care-sheets/)
-   -   Mouth rot in leopard gecko help! :( (http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizard-care-sheets/686270-mouth-rot-leopard-gecko-help.html)

lillyandlola 03-05-2011 08:34 PM

Mouth rot in leopard gecko help! :(

I have got a leopard gecko around 8 months old. She had her first shed about a week and a half ago and had difficulty doing so. I managed to help her with shedding on her back but didnt want to interfere with the shedding on her face, she has still go skin around her nose/mouth which doesnt seem to be coming off. She looked as though she was ill as she lost a lot of weight on her tail so i took her to the vets. She has mouth rot. I have been given treatment, but i was wondering how can i help her take the remaining skin off? Also how can i get her to open her mouth to take the antibiotics? please help!!

Thankyou
Ellie

leopardgeckomad 03-05-2011 08:48 PM

what antibiotics are you using, if its baytril, dilute it with a bit of ribena it becomes more palatable.

dont forget to use some probiotics to replenish the gut. you can use the following:

> reptoboost
> AviPro+
>Acidophillis

for the shed skin i use a little bit of cooking oil on my fingers, and slowly rub it off. make sure the oil is olive oil or sunflower oil :)

brad

lillyandlola 03-05-2011 08:53 PM

yes i am using the antibiotics baytril and the vet diluted it with water for me earlier. this may be a stupid question but what is a probiotic? thanks for the fast reply, im so worried its horrible seeing her in pain :(
Also, would the olive oil be ok to use as it is on her mouth? I have just used the iodine the vet gave me earlier and she was fine with it now she is rubbing her face against the rocks.

Ellie

SleepyD 03-05-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillyandlola (Post 8197122)
yes i am using the antibiotics baytril and the vet diluted it with water for me earlier. this may be a stupid question but what is a probiotic? thanks for the fast reply, im so worried its horrible seeing her in pain :(
Also, would the olive oil be ok to use as it is on her mouth? I have just used the iodine the vet gave me earlier and she was fine with it now she is rubbing her face against the rocks.

a probiotic is a combination of bacteria, enzymes, electrolytes and vitamins and can help replenish the good gut bacteria and boost the appetite ~ you can buy it online (Livefood UK Ltd.) ~ with the baytril I personally wouldn't mix it with ribena and would leave it as it has been given to you by the vet.
To open her mouth I find that by gently rubbing along the side of the mouth they usually open wide easily enough ;)
With stuck shed you could use a small dab of olive oil or get a product such as shed-eaze but would avoid using it on the mouthrot affected area... if she's rubbing her face on the rocks she'll wear the dead skin off herself but I would make sure that the rocks are kept clean.

lillyandlola 03-05-2011 09:48 PM

ok i will buy some of that now thankyou for the help. I wont mix the antibiotics and just leave it as it is :) i have just given her water through a syringe which the vet advised as she isnt drinking either and she was gulping it down :) i will avoid using the olive oil then because it looks as though it is attached to the infected area. its so sad seeing her in pain as i dont know what else i can do to help her :( also, i can see blue patches on her stomach which looks under her skin, is this normal? And one more thing. is this contageous as i have another gecko also.

thank you so much
ellie

SleepyD 03-05-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillyandlola (Post 8197558)
ok i will buy some of that now thankyou for the help. I wont mix the antibiotics and just leave it as it is :) i have just given her water through a syringe which the vet advised as she isnt drinking either and she was gulping it down :) i will avoid using the olive oil then because it looks as though it is attached to the infected area. its so sad seeing her in pain as i dont know what else i can do to help her :( also, i can see blue patches on her stomach which looks under her skin, is this normal? And one more thing. is this contageous as i have another gecko also.

mouthrot is a bacterial infection and is usually associated with injury and stress as well as husbandry issues such as low temps etc.. it's not so much contagious but if the leo is being stressed then it may be better (if it's with another leo) to seperate it into a quarentine viv/rub so that a close eye can be kept on it ~ make sure everything is kept clean and that the temps etc are good