Reptile Forums banner

My monitor collection nile, water, crocodile..

76K views 671 replies 90 participants last post by  philipniceguy 
#1 ·
here are some pictures of my collection:
Nile monitor up first:

just outside the basking heat

by the water

when i clicked the camera he only just got hold of it lol

checking for more food

today feeding time

my old nile monitor "chomp" when i got him (of course i dont own him now sadly has had to sell up in order to help family member out few years back)

my old nile monitor "chomp" sadly I miss him

my old nile monitor "chomp" i miss him he was great fun (not long before i had to sell i think)

See less See more
#2 ·
now the waters:
both still small but very active and bold both happy to be out with me around even inside there viv. loving them so outgoing and friendly:2thumb:
can't wait to put them into the outbuilding

the one over the bowl is the more bold one

feed time

#3 ·
now the new croc monitors: nasher and dasher(he much much much more shy)
dasher

dasher

dasher

dasher

nasher

nasher

nasher

nasher

nasher

nasher

nasher

Nasher

My old croc monitor "medusa" before i had to sell my collection (back then)to help out family member

My old croc monitor "medusa" before i had to sell my collection (back then)to help out family member

#5 ·
My old nile monitor "chomp" was a common nile monitor. common nile monitors have blue tongues and ornate monitors have pink tongues

my current nile monitors blue tongue

some shots of my old nile monitor chomp again to show tongue for ya:

old nile monitor "chomp" can see his blue tongue in this shot

old nile monitor "chomp" you can see his blue tongue is this shot

old nile monitor "chomp"

Old nile monitor "chomp" eating rabbit

#8 ·
they are kept in my outbuilding (apart from waters as they too small)
here is a thread of the build if interested http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...building-house-monitors-caiman-hopefully.html there is updates with pics on every page

Hi. Well that is one of the ways to tell them apart. But it seems old chomp was a colorful example of niloticus nonetheless.
he was a real stunner the one I have now has alot more spots so on, but he by far looked better pattern wise.

#9 ·
Superb monitors there , and some very nice action pics , enclosures are a very nice size :no1::no1::no1:

#10 ·
thank you very much means alot coming from a varanus "king" like yourself:blush:. If you haven't already you need to get a thread going showing all your amazing monitors. I plan to update this 1 every now and then (even if i post it somewhere else first:whistling2:(you know were i mean).

#11 ·
some today pics with new camera nikon s8200 not bad camera.

Nasher she looks so tiny curled up on the corner top hide

Nasher watching me from back hide

Nasher head shot, shes happyish as far away from me

Nasher basking

not hard to check its size with this pic the basking/hide area is 4ft long so as very tip of tail is curled up and body/head not streight i would say he is 4.5ft just only small bless him:flrt:

Dasher head pic

#12 ·
nile pics new camera

relaxing at the back

still chilling at the back corner hide looks so small its around 3.5ft.

walking away

Im only 1ft away with door open and its not threatening me :2thumb:

watching like a hawk

#15 ·
Im more and more impressed with your whole collection! Those monys are so spoilt with large pool areas big basking spots! Well done mate!!

What do you use to control ambient temps? seeing as you have a huge building.
thanks:blush: I use nothing as such the whole outbuilding has not yet gone below 20'c (outside the enclosures) all they have is the basking lights and a 4ft tube heater (inside basking hide) for nighttime. I plan to add a basic heater in the walkway for next winter as i'm sure temps will drop if its -1 or more overnight but the ambient temp is 28'c-30'c but the very coldest part of the 2 croc enclosures (bottom corner hide) is only 24'c so they don't spend long there but observed Dasher sleeping onto overnight 1s.

stunning nile there love him :mf_dribble:
cheers: victory:

#16 ·
Stunning collection, the effort you put into them and the enclosure has really paid off.

Wow tail :lol2:

#17 ·
#18 ·
a video for ya monitor lovers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o153VdR2wV4

this one is Nasher (croc monitor) as shes very comfident and not shy to run streight at me :lol2::whistling2:. Its her eatin a mouse and chick tong fed. filmed with my new camera so its much better clip in HD, may want to turn your sound off as its got the extractor fan on full blast in the background :bash: if you watch it

#21 ·
thanks

i would love to have a pair of argus monitars but we have igs and not got room,and i wouldnt part with my igs as ther soppy ,most of v time,
I also would love a argus but sadly no room at the inn

#22 ·
two more for ya "monnyholics"

Nasher checking the top shelf out

one of Nasher checking top shelf does it so slow and "safely"

i just wish i could get some more of dasher but he just hides from me :bash:

#24 ·
very impressive.

How well does that chip board hold up??

I just looked at your outbuilding thread as well, absolutely the best.

It's great to see such dedication. A+++
thanks very much. It is not chip board it is OSB 3 (Oriented strand board). It holds up well when very wet/damp it will flake a bit and go back ( i used to use it outside for sheds) of course if it is always damp protecting it would be good eg varnish so on. only the substrate is damp so does not build up on the walls if it does I wipe it off. humidity is between 70% - 85% and stayed that way ever since I added the substrate (could do with some more)

#27 ·
cheers

Cheers.. That may be a little cheaper than the plywood I used.

I coated mine with floor sealer, like what is used to seal garage floors.
That works a treat I have used it myself in the past

#28 ·
two from today of the crocs, they are both taken while they are chilling on there shelf which of course is the same hight so on just in differant enclosures, note how Dasher is "on edge" and very nervous and im over 8ft away were as Nasher has seen me but still just relaxed as if i'm not even there

Dasher

Nasher

#32 ·
two from today of the crocs, they are both taken while they are chilling on there shelf which of course is the same hight so on just in differant enclosures, note how Dasher is "on edge" and very nervous and im over 8ft away were as Nasher has seen me but still just relaxed as if i'm not even there

Dasher
Nasher
Literally my all time fav monitor :2thumb:

#33 ·
#34 ·
update update update

Monitor update pics again

Nile basking

Nile thinking to go for a swim or not

Nile chilling on hide

Dasher so happy to see me NOT

Dasher happy to see me as normal

Nasher at the back on the shelf sleeping

Nasher on the shelf, seems to go here when she is too hot and does not want to hide away.

#35 ·
here is some of my water monitors, sadly all the pics are of one as camera died before I got the other out, Most people prob already know I don't handle my monitors unless I have too (very rare)or unless they are happy to be handled (eg no hissing whipping or running away) but these to are very differant from 95% of monitors/tegus I have owned, they have no names yet but this one is 100% ok with handling and happy to wondering anywere (even towards my dogs, up my legs arms so on) but the other is 90% ok with handling but still runs away if you move just a tiny bit to fast. here is some pics:

climbed up my front and down my back

#36 ·
more pics:

Nasher giving me the "look" before the bite ,well attempt to bite as (sadly for her) the glass was in the way

Nile roach hunting I chucked 20 in at once give them a fighting chance

Nile roach munching

nile roach munching 2

Dasher must be almost 5ft now as that is 4ft high and tip of tail is on floor and his head/front legs are over the top

Dasher

#38 ·
this is a video of me feeding my nile monitor via tongs,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7VwTYj0b7A

he has 1 rat and 3 chicks in this video, and you can see the aggressive side of him luckly for me its only when food is around when it is not he backs down (in the end) enjoy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.