Reptile Forums banner

Japalura splendida

21K views 92 replies 25 participants last post by  kirky1980 
#1 ·
Any dragon agama owners out there want to contribute with their experiences?

I got my second dragon agama (japalura splendida) yesterday, unfortunately the sex of it and of my current one weren't known, hard to find information on them, but I'm interested in this learning curve they'll provide me. They were both a bit aprehensive at first, the new one being the first to try to make friends, the occasional tail lick, a claw rested gently on the back of the other, that sort of thing. Then my current one, Binky, made a fairly forward move, leapt onto the back of the newbie, which didn't even make it jump; no sexual activity took place but they both seemed very comfortable in each others company. I'm thinking it looks as though Binky's a male and the new one a female, which should lead to more learning with breeding etc.

These are a beautiful species, very fun to watch, and extremely fast and springy.

Binky

The new one (slight yellow/green colouration under the throat - possibly gender specific, not present on Binky, but on the other one they had in the shop)

See less See more
#63 ·
Scooby's still the only one you can handle without having to gently hold to stop from escaping, she's so tame now, it's brilliant.

#66 ·
a female has a smooth whitish looking throat but the male has a bright yellowpart and it hangs down (this is a dewlap) hope that helps you.
How sure are you of this?

I bought my one with the plain white dewlap first, and the other two were in the shop together and one of them laid eggs, now they both have yellow dewlaps, so at least one must be female?

#67 ·
weird it could be possible but i did alot of research afew years ago when i got them and this was always the way you were told how to sex them. so i never had any doubt to not beleive it. but my girl at the minute is white and male has yellow dewlap i'll look out for any changes tho as they are only babies bout 2 or 3 months old.

#68 ·
I'm down to two now. But they have different colour throats. (So on the look out for more)

Why do folks seem to be so dismissive of them. I think they're charming almost bird like. They don't hide away, unless sitting very still on a branch. They're green(ish)

#69 ·
Was just putting crix in for their lunch and Beeble decided not to wait and jumped onto my hand for a buffet lunch. This is new, I don't usually handle them.

#70 ·
Mine hate the concept of hand feeding, food in the viv they'll eat no probs. but if i have it in my hand they don't seem to trust it.

#71 ·
That's why it was a surprise. Just now sat on my paw and took crix from my fingers. Could be a good development if it allows me to make sure they get their calcium and vits before the crix clean themselves off.

Looking for some more my small herd is depleted. Does two count as a herd?

#72 ·
Dunno, it's certainly a pair, duet or couple though.

Scooby is the most trusting of mine and can be fully handled outside the viv. Mo is mental and hates handling and loves to try to bite at my fingers. Then Binky's much more subdued, very timid in the viv and often hiding behind/under something

#76 ·
Assuming you mean how long do they live, I really don't know, I've read 3 years, but I reckon it'll be considerably longer.

#78 ·
I've been told males have yellow throat/dewlaps, but am not sure of how true this is, as two of mine have yellow dewlaps and one of them laid eggs while it was in the shop.

Mo has started going through a weird phase, she burrows under the waterfall, but does it cleverly, so she sort of hollows out a space in the middle, but leaves a ring of orchid bark just inside the edge so it doesn't squash her, still, i'm not sure whether to change it so that the waterfall is directly on the bottom of the viv with bark around it so she can't get under. Though she seems to enjoy going under it (except when food is hopping about of course!). Any ideas why she's doing this?

#79 ·
That is one weird behaviour for a supposed arboreal species. Mine are strictly plant dwellers. But, then the viv is now a bit overgrown with 'China Doll' (Raddermaccheria??????). Nedd to get that out and replace it with a Ficus.

I thought that I had been able to get my paws on another pair from 888, but I was too late getting my order in. If anybody knows of another source please let me know.

#81 ·
Heres some sexing info...

females dont have large "cheek pouches" ...

Males do...

Males have a hemipenal bulge...

Females dont...

Males have thicker heads and darker blacks with more solid green stripes..

Females dont...

Both can have yellow dewlaps,

two males will darken beards and gape with their mouths at each other when being territorial.

(all images copyright N.Reed - Livefoods by post ltd 2009)

#84 ·
If anyone could give me any incubation advice, that'd be great. Got some eggs today, and would like to know temps, humidity, incubation medium (substratey stuff), and hatch times please.

#85 ·
Well I've put the 5 she laid in some moist vermiculite at around 86 F, going by CWD caresheets. But I'd like to know if anyone has first hand experience just so I do it right.

#87 ·
Not the same species I know but I incubated my sinai agama eggs at 88f, in a cricket tub with vermiculite as you have done.

Sadly mine weren't fertile.

#88 ·
Thought I'd resurrect this thread with a fantastic picture of one of my agamas' new odd behaviour. I've got a non-functioning Exo waterfall which I keep filled up and open. She just loves bathing in it (click the picture to see it zoomed in).

#89 ·
Neon Tree Dragon; Japalura Splendida owner

Wanted to contribute our experience so far, here! We absolutely LOVE our Neon Tree Dragon, as Petco had it named. I am trying to sex "Scratch". I think because of info regarding the clor depth and striping, that "Scratch" is a female. Don't know but hop eto find out soon. I have a friend on order at another reptile store and at Petco. Everyone is excited to learn these are the perfect starter lizard and that they are wonderful little pets. Scratch is so friendly and energetic! She/He is so beautiful, with less stripage, and more deep diamond pattern.
I highly recommend. We have Scratch in a 20 gallon tank with natural plants, cocunut substrate and sand, rocks and a little hut to hide out in, plus a water dish that is changed daily. We feed a few large crickets daily with a calcium powder dust once a week. Will not eat any fruits and veggies. UVA & UVB light. Between 65 degrees at lowest at night, preferably between 70-80 degrees. There is a great YouTube video where a guy shows how he made a beautiful vivarium for his.
Here is the link. We found it to be sweet and informative :D
Best of luck!
CDLTNLA

#92 ·
Wht sexes do you have? Do you ever do courier runs?

Great thread btw i never found this before. So whos keeping these now?

#93 ·
bump!!!

just found this thread for the first time.

just wondering how everyone got on with there splendida?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.