Do you bathe your reptiles? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 19-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Hatchling
Question Do you bathe your reptiles?

If so what do you use? My CWD STINKS! needs a bath x.x Been trying to keep ontop of cleaning out his water bowl that he poops in every day, if not every other day but tbh I've only done that once or twice, his rear absalutely stinks and I hope he's not going to get anything bad from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-05-2017, 08:55 PM
Super Citizen

No I don't, with the exception of my Aussie WD which has a large pond in it's viv

An Asian Water Dragon should have a bathing area / pond anyway - If yours doesn't have one it needs one setting up in the viv. Just a water bowl is not sufficient.
Old 19-05-2017, 09:03 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO233 View Post
No I don't, with the exception of my Aussie WD which has a pond in it's viv

An Asian Water Dragon should have a bathing area / pond anyway - If yours doesn't have one it needs one setting up in the viv.
He has a very large dish that I'd consider a bathing area but he tends to poop in it more than anything else and a smaller dish incase he wants to wash his face or whatever since its not advisable to let em wash in the same dish they poop in of course lol.

He has one of these which is the one he keeps pooping in:

And one of these:

Which isn't really big enough for him to get into unlike the grey one but its a decent size.

Either way I wish to know how to get rid of the stink other than making sure his bathing bowl is clean, though of course I'll still make sure but last thing I want is a stinky reptile whilst holding him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Super Citizen

They need something a lot bigger than that. Minimum I would say would be the size of a cat litter tray.

Most will poo in their bathing area and it should be cleaned daily / water replaced, or even better on a filtration system.

To give you an idea, this is My Aussies viv - Half the ground area of it is a pool area (2.5ft width x 20" of surface area and about 7" of water depth is the pool area) - You can just see him sitting in the front

Not saying they need as big a pool as this, but the bigger the better.

I've never suffered with smelling problems.

I suggest it could be down to the fact he is pooing in there and sitting in the dirty water - The volume of water is so little that it will be dirty straight away from sitting in / pooing in it - Any short amount of time sat in there is going to result in him smelling.
Old 19-05-2017, 10:38 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
They need something a lot bigger than that. Minimum I would say would be the size of a cat litter tray.

Most will poo in their bathing area and it should be cleaned daily / water replaced, or even better on a filtration system.

To give you an idea, this is My Aussies viv - Half the ground area of it is a pool area (2.5ft width x 20" of surface area and about 7" of water depth is the pool area) - You can just see him sitting in the front

Not saying they need as big a pool as this, but the bigger the better.

I've never suffered with smelling problems.

I suggest it could be down to the fact he is pooing in there and sitting in the dirty water - The volume of water is so little that it will be dirty straight away from sitting in / pooing in it - Any short amount of time sat in there is going to result in him smelling.
Actually the grey one IS about the size of a cat litter tray, infact I'd say its bigger as I have one that I used for my ferret and in comparisent I'd say its certainly a bit bigger. He can submerge his entire body so imo thats enough though I do plan on having more water space in his new viv when I get one. I do clean it out daily but also do plan on getting a filter as I get sick and tired of doing it to be frank, not to mention it smells awful. I'm pretty sure some people actually do clean their lizards or at least give them a warm bath, infact I'm pretty certain I've seen one or two care sheets mention it, I just wanted to know how others go about it. Of course if you don't thats your business but thats not really what I asked. Thanks for the tips but I kinda already knew all that and his bowl is not a problem.
Old 19-05-2017, 11:09 PM
Super Citizen

OK fair enough - It doesn't look very big on the picture. I guess it must be because it is a stock image rather than the bowl in the viv so dont get the depth perception.

I did answer your question if you read it back. I said I suspect the pooing in the water then sitting in it to be the issue. How do you know this is not the problem? I do suspect it might be, even if it is a bigger volume of water than I thought.
Old 19-05-2017, 11:53 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
OK fair enough - It doesn't look very big on the picture. I guess it must be because it is a stock image rather than the bowl in the viv so dont get the depth perception.

I did answer your question if you read it back. I said I suspect the pooing in the water then sitting in it to be the issue. How do you know this is not the problem? I do suspect it might be, even if it is a bigger volume of water than I thought.
By not a problem I meant size and when it comes to water dragons habits any body of water is a problem really

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Old 20-05-2017, 06:49 AM

Given the shape of that corner dish how can it possibly be bigger overall than a cat litter tray?
Old 20-05-2017, 07:59 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen P View Post
Given the shape of that corner dish how can it possibly be bigger overall than a cat litter tray?
Depends on your litter tray, mine was a corner one so shaped in a similar manner :-P tbh it would probably be a bit better for him to have a straight one that covers the entire depth rather than just the corner though so its food for thought.
Old 20-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Hatchling

My CWD likes a bath, I take her up to the bathroom run about 4inches of warm but not hot water and wet a towel and lay it on the end slope of the bath (so she can get out of the water). She seems to love it, I stay with her, the whole time (usually about 10-15mins)