Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 13-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
Granted, yes that may well be the case.

But then ( bear with me, my use of the language isnt up to your standards I agree, lol ) to put it in another perspective also, 9 out of 10 keepers keep and raise mixed sexed groups together, in a wild situation a non receptive or young female will rebuke a males advances, in a captive enviroment she has little or no choice and will continuously be badgered and mated to, hence yes there may well be cases of younger animals producing, but to what effect does it effect the long term health of a female.

Agreed breeding at such a young age is not what I would want for my vto's and be well worth the wait in the long run and enjoying a longer life in the long run.
Old 13-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyR View Post
This why you keep yours seperated until 3 years old then? be something to consider I guess, what age before they can be sexed is it similar to other species? or differ again?
Mine were not seperated when i first got them, i used to house them together thinking they were big enough to breed without ever seeing an adult, my mistake. Since seperating them the female has come on in leaps and bounds.
TommyR likes this.

Varanus Caudolineatus
Varanus Gilleni
Varanus Kingorum - CB 2013 pairs available £1200 a pair- eggs in the incubator
Varanus Storri Storri
Varanus glauerti
Pogona vitticeps
Ameiva ameiva

PM if interested in any of the available

Old 13-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Mine were not seperated when i first got them, i used to house them together thinking they were big enough to breed without ever seeing an adult, my mistake. Since seperating them the female has come on in leaps and bounds.
Be worth doing like I said depending on the sex of my trio when the time comes, thanks a lot for the info mate. What age roughly can they be sexed?
Old 14-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyR View Post
Be worth doing like I said depending on the sex of my trio when the time comes, thanks a lot for the info mate. What age roughly can they be sexed?
They are one of the easier monitors to visually sex, the spur clusters on a male are very very obvious compared to those of a female.
TommyR likes this.

Varanus Caudolineatus
Varanus Gilleni
Varanus Storri Storri
Varanus glauerti
Pogona vitticeps
Ameiva ameiva

Old 14-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:

But then ( bear with me, my use of the language isnt up to your standards I agree, lol ) to put it in another perspective also, 9 out of 10 keepers keep and raise mixed sexed groups together, in a wild situation a non receptive or young female will rebuke a males advances, in a captive enviroment she has little or no choice and will continuously be badgered and mated to, hence yes there may well be cases of younger animals producing, but to what effect does it effect the long term health of a female.
and THAT. . .is how I got the opportunity to take on a Beardie (from some I knew),that was continually being harassed by a male (the Beardie. . not the person!!!lol). . .she was getting battered n banged all the time. . .then not coming out even for food.. . .so I learned a bit. . .continued my research as I kept her isolated . . til she returned to a nice confident show off again. . . .moved her on after a year because I learned it was Monitors that I would find the greatest interest in.. .THAT'S when I got the VTO ,Freckles is cb10 late Dec. . .so very close on 2 yrs old now
philipniceguy and Monkeymad like this.
Old 14-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
They are one of the easier monitors to visually sex, the spur clusters on a male are very very obvious compared to those of a female.
Well hopefully I can tell but Im pretty useless been honest when it comes to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold blooded beast View Post
and THAT. . .is how I got the opportunity to take on a Beardie (from some I knew),that was continually being harassed by a male (the Beardie. . not the person!!!lol). . .she was getting battered n banged all the time. . .then not coming out even for food.. . .so I learned a bit. . .continued my research as I kept her isolated . . til she returned to a nice confident show off again. . . .moved her on after a year because I learned it was Monitors that I would find the greatest interest in.. .THAT'S when I got the VTO ,Freckles is cb10 late Dec. . .so very close on 2 yrs old now

Awesome you going to be finding a suitable mate for yours? What siz viv is yours in aswell marcus?
Old 14-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold blooded beast View Post
And a stunner she is to, she is alot darker than my female around the head and shoulders.

Varanus Caudolineatus
Varanus Gilleni
Varanus Storri Storri
Varanus glauerti
Pogona vitticeps
Ameiva ameiva

Old 14-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Ultra Citizen

Big progress with this one, Cera the biter lets me get away with this now..

Can't forget Littlefoot.. He poses so nice.

SavannahMonitor.net
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/signaturepics/sigpic56025_1.gif
Old 14-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:

do you not feel that is a failure of your enclosure? females should be able to escape from a males advances within her enclosure afterall you cant be there all the time.
TEG likes this.

0.0.1 Alligator snapping turtle - Bane
4.7.1 Turtles: Squirtle, Notchy, Tango, Mappy (map turt), Bubbles, Ellie, T, Rio, dougie, Lagoona, River, Raphael
0.0.1 Reeves turtle: reef
0.0.2 Razorback Musks: Lily and Algeazar
0.1.0 razor back: razzy
2.1 Cats: Rusty, Binx, Midnight
1.0 Labrador Rico 0.1 Staffy... Kali
? Fish: magneto, Ivan, peng, funny fat fecker, Claus, Puff, Hashimoto, Severus, Heath, ledger, joker, batman, Harley, Davidson
1.1 kordensis: wookie (chris's) kya

Monitor FAQ:
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ml#post9937118
Old 14-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Premier Citizen

No not really, I could ask anyone to design a shared vivarium where the female had the ability to retreat to with good effect, Anywhere a female can get, a male can also, sure if you create something only the female will fit into the chances are she will never leave it, become withdrawn and it will or could have adverse effects ie not feeding unable to thermoregulate etc..

I think the only way to really combat the advances of horny male varanids is in the need to always have a spare viv available, and seperate if need be.
Stivali likes this.

Varanus Caudolineatus
Varanus Gilleni
Varanus Storri Storri
Varanus glauerti
Pogona vitticeps
Ameiva ameiva

Last edited by Paul P; 14-12-2012 at 09:34 AM..

Tags
bosc (savannah) monitor, bosc advice needed, kimberley monitors, kimberley rock monitor, monitor, slitherinn_reptiles is, tegu, tegu ! :], tpm reptiles