Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 15-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Premier Citizen
Default The Veiled Chameleon when will she lay her eggs.???

How long after breeding to the females lay the eggs ? My pair do live together but yesterday for the first time she let him breed with her, They are about 17 months old.Now she has changed colour Which i know is what the do when the have eggs she looks lovely black and yellow with green dots, should i split them up or leave them together they seem to ok with each other she just opens her mouth when he come never her but no aggression on his part. the only thing i was worried about is if i split them they may i may not be able to put them back together.
Old 15-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangreentree View Post
How long after breeding to the females lay the eggs ? My pair do live together but yesterday for the first time she let him breed with her, They are about 17 months old.Now she has changed colour Which i know is what the do when the have eggs she looks lovely black and yellow with green dots, should i split them up or leave them together they seem to ok with each other she just opens her mouth when he come never her but no aggression on his part. the only thing i was worried about is if i split them they may i may not be able to put them back together.
They shouldn't be in with each other at all.
Chams are solitary animals and do not appreciate the company of others. You should split them up and leave them that way.

She should lay in around 30 days. Do you have a laying bin ready for her? It's best to put it in with her now so she can dig as soon as she feels she's ready.
Old 15-12-2008, 03:20 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D View Post
They shouldn't be in with each other at all.
Chams are solitary animals and do not appreciate the company of others. You should split them up and leave them that way.

She should lay in around 30 days. Do you have a laying bin ready for her? It's best to put it in with her now so she can dig as soon as she feels she's ready.
In your opinion.......
Old 15-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Premier Citizen

Thanks for your comments I have a trio that used to live all alone but when i put them together to breed about 3 months ago then parted them all the did was stress out and when they were together they loved each other company. So im eyes MY CHAMS are better together.
Old 15-12-2008, 04:00 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangreentree View Post
Thanks for your comments I have a trio that used to live all alone but when i put them together to breed about 3 months ago then parted them all the did was stress out and when they were together they loved each other company. So im eyes MY CHAMS are better together.
Well said
Old 15-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Premier Citizen

cheers mate Some people only see in black and white and go by the books,Most time this is not always the best of the animals. I know my chams very well and if i thought it was best to keep them apart i would.
Old 15-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Lee N

Well really Jame is right, you may think whatever you want about how they might feel and bla bla bla, it's just logic that moving a chameleon from one enclosure to another enclosure is going to stress them out. It's like you moving out of your home and being put into another one.... it's not stress free by any means.

They are solitary animals, if they "enjoyed" each others company so much they would be found in packs or pairs which certain specimens aren't like the yemen and the panther chameleons.

That's why the female is showing signs of aggression because they only go in contact with another chameleon when it is "breeding" season.

People believe what is in black and white because it is actually researched and many people spend a lot of time researching their animals and know how to keep them healthy and provide a safe and as natural as possible environment for them.
beccaj91 likes this.

1.0 German Shepherd
2 Emperor Scorpions
1 Fan Footed Geckos