Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 19-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Forum Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Tristan
Default How long does liquid paraffin take to work on reptiles?

I used just under 5mils of it today on my impacted leopard gecko as she has only got a little better in the last two days. There wouldn't be anything the vet could do that I can't, except surgery, as she isn't an extreme case.

I read it takes around 12-16 hours but making sure. Already used olive oil and given her warm washes but has not stooled or eaten for two days.
Mongolian gerbils
Spotted skunk
Horned frog - fantasy

Last edited by Tristan; 19-01-2009 at 04:22 PM..
Old 19-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Premier Citizen

Is this the one possibly suffering from impaction? Do you mean 0.5 mls, 0.05mls or 5mls? What are your temps in the viv, warm and cold sides?

Have you been to the vet?

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle View Post
i luffs u....and YA lizardss.. its legs hanging off really?? aww dont worry have a cuddle..its pooing bloood AWWWW dont worry here have a BIG HUG and aww its SO CUTE
ya liazardsss eye fell out??? awwww naww stick it in wiv da supahglue.. and have a HUGE SNOG...
no take it to da vet.. vets are da nasty people who will bleed u dry of da monies and no be nice to ya lizarrrd.. it dont need no vet ..
Old 19-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Gold Star Member

patience, try not to overdose as this could be worse than being impacted. and remember impaction isn't quite the same as constipation. warm baths and a belly rub seem to do the job.

My reptiles live with a foster home in the East Midlands.

1.1 Crested Geckos
0.1 Sonoran Dwarf Boa

RIP Clove, Gorgeous Girl.
Old 19-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
There wouldn't be anything the vet could do that I can't, except surgery, as she isn't an extreme case.
except maybe check how bad the leo is and give advise on what to give and what is the correct amount to give
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosscat View Post
Do you mean 0.5 mls, 0.05mls or 5mls? What are your temps in the viv, warm and cold sides?
Have you been to the vet?
ditto

Leopard Gecko and AFT Information, Care sheets, Health, Behaviour and much, much more.

*I'm a short, plump, grey-haired Grandmother ..... NOT a fella*
Understanding Leopard Gecko Behaviour
Research and read before you buy and breed!

Old 19-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Forum Citizen

0.05mls. Didn't make that clear and that's fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyD View Post
except maybe check how bad the leo is and give advise on what to give and what is the correct amount to give
Reptile vet was the one who said she can be treated from home and recommended that dosage.

Everything is fine. Temperature at the hot end is 90 and the cool end is about 82-85 (one spot 80). I just wanted to know how long until there are results due to this problem lasting over 72 hours could cause some long-term effects on the leo.
Mongolian gerbils
Spotted skunk
Horned frog - fantasy
Old 19-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Premier Citizen

Glad it was only 0.05mls!

The problem is that you don't know for sure why she isn't eating or pooing.... 48 hours isn't very long to be honest and I think you may be causing her more stress than help at this point in time. I have a leo who will only go once a week, I know she isn't impacted, its just the way she is (she has been x-rayed etc).

How long have you had her, how old is she, and what ammount of food was she eating before problems, and how often was she pooing?

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein

Quote:
i luffs u....and YA lizardss.. its legs hanging off really?? aww dont worry have a cuddle..its pooing bloood AWWWW dont worry here have a BIG HUG and aww its SO CUTE
ya liazardsss eye fell out??? awwww naww stick it in wiv da supahglue.. and have a HUGE SNOG...
no take it to da vet.. vets are da nasty people who will bleed u dry of da monies and no be nice to ya lizarrrd.. it dont need no vet ..
Old 19-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Forum Citizen

Roughly four months old. Her belly became swollen over just a few days. She used to eat one or two crickets about the size of her head every couple of days (always managed them well), or the equivalent in mealies. It's only since she had a couple of locust too big for her she has stopped eating. True, they may just be filling, but she wouldn't stop doing a crap when she stooled quite often before. Once a day.

My plan is to leave her alone for a day so she calms down and just keep an eye out for her crap. Seriously seeing that is going to be like finding gold dust. Just more perverted.

edit: she twitches also, though hasn't today, so sure sign of strain on the spine.
Mongolian gerbils
Spotted skunk
Horned frog - fantasy

Last edited by Tristan; 19-01-2009 at 05:19 PM..
Old 19-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Premier Citizen

twitches could be associated with eating food too big, also lack of calcium amongst other things, if shes walking ok then its a good sign (not dragging legs etc).... If she's a reasonable weight she will be ok for a while (but I would see the vet if its longer than a week), offer her water by syringe or pipette to ensure she's not dehydrated.

When she does go, check no signs of blood or prolapse, if there is then vets asap.

Quote:
Old 19-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Forum Citizen

She dragged her front leg (the right one if that's of any significance) yesterday but she walks fine now, but it is most probably because of the oversized feeder, due to the swelling too, rather lack of calcium. I read youngsters can go without calcium until they are adults before it begins to show and she is getting enough. Dunno about other problems too thick.
Mongolian gerbils
Spotted skunk
Horned frog - fantasy
Old 19-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Youngsters can go without calcium until they are adults before it begins to show and she is getting enough
Sorry but that's clearly not true in the slightest. You can see that in the numbers of young leopard geckos with MBD due to improper supplementation. Calcium is required for growth, so if anything (aside from breeding females when unergoing egg production) calcium is most likely most important when a gecko is young.

I don't have any experience treating impaction, so i've got no advice to give there, but good luck!

Whites Tree Frogs, Litorea caerulea
Crested Geckos, Rhacodactylus ciliatus
Mossy Geckos, Rhacodactylus chahoua
Golden Retriever (Harvey)

Pets name: Fagin
Adopt your own!