Reptile Forums banner

Allergy paranoia

712 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  reptiles_galore 
#1 ·
Hi I'm about to get a beardie - but have just seen another posting where someone's asthma is being affected by their lizard or its crickets. My youngest son gets asthma and is affected by cats/furry type animals but I was hoping would be ok with a lizard. Please has anyone any experience in this before I get my lizard - and cause much disappointment to my 3 boys!!

#2 ·
im get a alergic reaction to hamster/mice and things like that good with dogs and cats.
i have never had problems with reptiles, if you use a dusty substrate it may be a problem but im sure other than that it will be fine

#3 ·
Reptiles dont give out fur or continually shed skin cells like mammals which is what your son is most lilely allergic to.

Cricket poop could v. well cause allergies.

#6 ·
It is possible to get an allergic reaction to reptiles but it's pretty uncommon, I've never come across someone with the problem. Just because your son is allergic to cats or dogs doesn't necessarily mean it will be the case with reptiles, it's one of those trial and error things.

Have a read of this, it's the best page I can find on allergies and proteins:
Allergies to Reptiles and Herp-Keeping Products

#7 ·
Never herd of astham being a problem and i no a fair few ppl on here have it.
make sure when your dusting crickets ect that you do it away from him and may be an idea to keep the livefood up on a shelf away form him.
Also your best bet is using a solid substrate such as tiles, lino, kitchen towel ect.

hope that helps
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.