Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 15-02-2011, 01:25 AM
5 Star Member
Reviews: 2
Send a message via AIM to Spider Call Send a message via Skype™ to Spider Call
Default Prolapsed hemipenis

As you can see I don't own a male leopard gecko, but I am currently looking after one. He prolapsed his hemipenis a few days ago now, and yesterday when I went round to the friends it was drying up :c I brought the little guy home with me last night, cleaned it and gave him a sugar water bath. Later I put sugar water on it with a cotton bud.
This morning he had another bath, and I have just sugar watered it again. He still has some tiny bits of eco earth stuck, but they are slowly coming off.

He seemed very lethargic and wasn't moving around yesterday. Tonight he has picked up and came over quite happily. He is very good natured about all of this, has eaten a few crickets since being here which is good. I will be very sad to see him leave when he is better.

What else can I do for little guy?
0.1 Sinaloan milk snake - Stephany, 2.6 Leopard geckos - Emerald, Golden Cain, Robin, Miracle, Anastasia, Firefly, Pluto & Seraphina, 4 pond fish - Cal, Kid, Goldie & Bella, 0.1 Syrian hamsters - Ruby, 1.1 Jack russels - Daisy & Kevin, 1.0 Hognose - George, 11 tropical fish

Member 3732
Old 15-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Premier Citizen

Sorry, I'm not clear, has the hemipenis still not retracted fully? If, after this length of time and in spite of being given sugar water baths, the prolapse is still there, then the only thing you can do is take the littlun to the vet; attempting to treat it yourself could cause more damage. If the tissue was allowed to dry out for any period of time, then the littlun really needs to see a vet as soon as possible, just in case it becomes infected /necrotic. Until you can arrange an appointment, try to keep the prolapsed tissue moist, as this may limit any further damage.

Website for all things geckoey
Old 15-02-2011, 02:02 AM
5 Star Member

I'm not sure exactly how many days it was like it >_< I saw it for the first time day before yesterday, then offered to look after him because he was with girls.
It isn't fully out, just partly. It's not as swollen as it was when I brought him home yesterday which is good.
I shall speak to his owner and see what she wants to do. I currently have £10 to my name. So yeah.
0.1 Sinaloan milk snake - Stephany, 2.6 Leopard geckos - Emerald, Golden Cain, Robin, Miracle, Anastasia, Firefly, Pluto & Seraphina, 4 pond fish - Cal, Kid, Goldie & Bella, 0.1 Syrian hamsters - Ruby, 1.1 Jack russels - Daisy & Kevin, 1.0 Hognose - George, 11 tropical fish

Member 3732
Old 15-02-2011, 02:11 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Call View Post
I'm not sure exactly how many days it was like it >_< I saw it for the first time day before yesterday, then offered to look after him because he was with girls.
It isn't fully out, just partly. It's not as swollen as it was when I brought him home yesterday which is good.
I shall speak to his owner and see what she wants to do. I currently have £10 to my name. So yeah.
To be honest, if the prolapse has only partially retracted in the 24 hours the littlun's spent with you, I'd definitely try to convince the owner that he needs a trip to the vet, especially if you don't know how long he's been like that. The longer the prolapse is left untreated, the more damage may potentially occur

Old 15-02-2011, 02:20 AM
5 Star Member

I thought that would be the case. I shall speak to her in the morning and find out what she wants to do. -stares longingly at him- Just hope he gets better and recovers ok.
I've messaged his old owner to find out if this has happened before.

Member 3732
Old 15-02-2011, 03:05 AM
Premier Citizen

Hopefully, the damage won't be too severe and a vet will be able to get the hemipenis to retract. Even if the tissue has been damaged to the point where it requires amputation, it shouldn't cause the littlun too many problems *fingers crossed* However, the longer it gets left, the more chance that complications will occur, e.g. an infection will set in, so time really is of the essence (also and without wishing to sound mercenary, if complications do set in then the higher the vet bill is likely to be, so it makes financial sense to get it sorted as soon as possible, if you know what I mean).

Good luck and keep us posted on how the littlun gets on

Old 15-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Hatchling

I posted a thread about this last week . . my daughters Leo had the same thing happen (to much jiggy apparently!) I took him to the vet and in the end he had to have it amputated as it had got too dry and wasnt going back in. He is fine now - but I have also been advised to keep him away from females - so thats what I have done
Old 15-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default prolapse

I've read a few threads like this one where the hemipene is drying out before able to take to a vet....
Once the prolapse is observed,remove the leo from his enclosure and clean it up as best as you can with warm water. Then put KY jelly all over the hemepene and place leo into a small warm tub with damp kitchen roll.
Then check morning,afternoon and before you go to bed that the kitchen towl is clean and damp(replace regulary) and readminister more KY.
I've never had any luck using the sugar water method. So i go to this routine straight away on the rare occossion a prolapse occurs.
Last year i had a young SS Bell prolapse, which happened on a Friday evening(typical) vet was closed till Monday. Carried out the above routine and by Sunday the hemepene retracted.. This may not always happen, but at least it'll prevent the hemepene drying out so may prevent the vet from having to amputating it.
Hope this info is usefull to you an other readers

Goniurosaurus luii/G.araneus/G.bawanglingensis
G.kuroiwae/G.orientalis/G.yamashinae/G.splendens
Pachydactylus rugosus/ P.mariquensis/P.barnardi
Nephrurus levis/N.deleani
Underwoodisaurus milii
Terantola chazliae
Coleonyx elegans/ C.variegatus
Holodactylus africanus
Hemidactylus imbricatus/H.echinus/H.fasciatus
Ptenopus garrulus
Pristurus carteri
Chondrodactylus turneri

Last edited by Laza; 15-02-2011 at 02:30 PM..
Old 15-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Postaholic Member

i had to have a hemipene removed from one of my cresties,
i kept mine in a thick sugar syrup overnight and it definatly took a lot of the swelling and reddness down, but the vet still could not get it back in with oodles of lube, so it had to come off.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM
5 Star Member

Completely forgot about updating this!
I continued bathing with sugar water, and then swapped over to honey. My friend was going to ring the vets on a Monday. Monday morning I phoned to tell her it had gone back in.
I kept hold of him for a few more weeks to keep an eye on him. He is now perfect <3 He can pop it out and back in quite happily and didn't lose it in the end.
The downside is he is a breeding male :c And without it needing to be removed he has now gone back home :c

Guy however is happy with his ladies <3 and I still go over and give him cuddles.

Member 3732

Tags
hemipenile, hemipenis, leopard gecko, prolapse