Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Lizards (http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/)
-   -   Feeding baby panthers chameleon (http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/979395-feeding-baby-panthers-chameleon.html)

Crispy06 30-07-2013 01:12 PM

Feeding baby panthers chameleon

Hi

I'm new to the forum I've kept many reptiles for a long time but have just got my first panthers chameleon. I was supposed to be getting one at 7 months old however when I went to look at him he didn't look great and the conditions the chams were in was very poor so I didn't buy. However I had already got all the setup so I contacted a breeder and got a 3 1/2 month old baby but my reptibreeze is 18x18x36 with lots of real plants and hiding places. This is my concern is how to feed I don't want to free range to many crickets incase he's not finding them all, I have purchase a bird feeder attached to just below his favourite branch which he sits and watches the crickets but only eats the odd one that's escaping!!! So here's my question is there any way to encourage him to cup feed out of the feeder or is there a better way I can free range some food? I've also just purchased some silkworm arriving tomorrow to see if he will take them!!! Any advice would be great!!

Crispy06 01-08-2013 02:03 PM

Anyone??

I've now introduced silkworms he loves them shame there so expensive and a few locust he seems to pick off the odd locust now and then as they don't really hide. He still looks in the cricket cup sticks his tongue out but won't take any and goes dark as if its stressing him I've removed it this moving due to enough food with locust and silkworms. I would still love to get him cup feeding though

Lennymonaghan 02-08-2013 08:38 PM

you could create a hide for the cham then leave the cage a little bare so he can see them, or you can create a trap to make the cage a little smaller. or leave a few crickets in there with some food for them

Bradley 02-08-2013 09:06 PM

I would just free range the crickets. Don't worry if any are left in over night as they will eat the live plants before him.

Remember to dust with
Pure calcium daily
Calcium with D3 twice a month
Multivitamin with no D3 twice a month.

Crispy06 02-08-2013 09:31 PM

Thanks for the replies much appreciated I have just left them to free range and mainly locust now still the odd cricket I've been out all day the last couple of days by the time I'm home all the foods been eaten. I would still like to cup feed so I can offer other food items like Calci worms and others easily but not so important right now unless anyone can think of another way of offering them?

mikeytaylor 02-08-2013 11:59 PM

When I move them/ do anything unavoidable that could stress my chams and put them on hunger strike I put their food in a pot noodle pot. This means the food isn't allowed full range of the cage and I can tell how much the chams are eating.

Maybe you could try something a bit smaller? Make sure it isn't transparent though, many of trial and error attempts of teased chameleons trying to shoot at insects through a plastic pot they can see through!

Crispy06 03-08-2013 12:13 AM

Yeah I've tried a few different tubs/cups the bird feeder was an ideal size, it's just my Cham seems to hate the idea of easy food he's sat on the feeder and fired his tongue further to catch free ranging food lol.

I suppose I just keep trying and one day he will figure it out he's still young