Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 15-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Regular
Unhappy Crickets escaping! Please help!

Hey guys,

So, after months of planning I finally brought Billy the Bearded Dragon home yesterday. Things were going great until.... Feeding time. It was a nightmare, I had a mass cricket escape because they were climbing out of the air vents in my cricket pen! I ended up losing around 20 crickets in my house and the rest of the tub I set free in the garden because I couldn't transfer them back to a tub safely :-(

Please, has anyone got any idea how I can stop them escaping? I have read that brown crickets can jump 3/4ft!!!! Any suggestions will be massively appreciated. Thanks x
Old 15-09-2013, 12:34 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeysMummy View Post
Hey guys,

So, after months of planning I finally brought Billy the Bearded Dragon home yesterday. Things were going great until.... Feeding time. It was a nightmare, I had a mass cricket escape because they were climbing out of the air vents in my cricket pen! I ended up losing around 20 crickets in my house and the rest of the tub I set free in the garden because I couldn't transfer them back to a tub safely :-(

Please, has anyone got any idea how I can stop them escaping? I have read that brown crickets can jump 3/4ft!!!! Any suggestions will be massively appreciated. Thanks x
slap a few cm's of vaciline or however you spell it, on. that will stop them climbing
you shouldnt have set them free either!
Jebb and Bullfinch like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chad View Post
I thought tremerz was older, gives some of the best advice on here.
Old 15-09-2013, 12:44 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

What I did when I kept a large amount of crickets was to use a laundry basket, it was too tall for them to jump out and the sides too slippery to climb. When I wanted some I just dipped a pot in!

Jebb and MickeysMummy like this.
Old 15-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Forum Citizen

Rather than using propper vents, use some close weave plastic mesh the holes are half mm wide. Can be easily bought on a well known auction site
Old 15-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Ultra Citizen

for future reference, ur not meant to release them. They aren't native to the uk, therefor shouldn't be released. Especially not in large quantities, they could be damaging to the environment!
Old 15-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Super Citizen

Yeah. The top of the tub needs to have a mesh on it..crickets are a pain in the arse anyway..it may work you your advantage to stop with crickets and use hoppers..they are far far easier to deal with..simply empty them into a tub then when its feeding time,just take them out one by one by the back leg..if you don't feel comfortable doing this,you can use tweezers to catch them..they are very slow compared to crix.

Daz

What ' you looking at!
Old 15-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Premier Citizen

just to add as others have said it's not fair to release them into the wild....by the way great fim that "Into the Wild"

I freeze any I don't use, maybe that is cruel too but can't think of a better way? I know some people offer left overs to rep shops for free, but I don't have one near.

As for escapees, I use a biggish storage box, the £5 things you see in all the cheap shops, they are just big enough for them not to be able to jump out and come with a lid, the box is no air tight so not air holes needed, I just open the lid once a day to freshen the air in there, put loads of toilet rolls in, keep one up tap it into a small box, whilst still inside the big one, job done.
Old 15-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Regular

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it.

I know crickets are not native to the uk, and they shouldn't be set free but with respect, if its a choice of having 100 crickets running around my house or letting them go in the garden, then the garden wins! I'm hoping I won't ever be forced to do that again though!

Again, thank you all for your help x
Old 15-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Super Citizen

Still waiting for photos of the new arrival

Daz

What ' you looking at!
Old 15-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discodaz View Post
Still waiting for photos of the new arrival

Daz
she has to wait for it to return, it's on walk about in the garden looking for the crickets

Tags
bearded dragon, beardies, crickets