Pet for a 12yo? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice



  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2017, 08:16 PM
dyz dyz is offline
Hatchling
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 36
Default Pet for a 12yo?

Evening all,

I'm looking for suggestions for a pet for a 12yo boy. We already have a corn snake (mine) and dog which he helps out with (walking, bathing, cleaning up, grooming).

We're thinking about a pet he could keep in his room. He expressed interest in a beaded dragon, however, I've vetoed that (live food kept in house - he's a bit clumsy so the crickets would end up all over the house sooner rather than later, daily feedings - problems whilst on holiday).

I'm all for him getting a corn as well (I know the snake and can help if need be), but there's already one corn in the house.

Can you suggest other animals? Requirements would be that similar of a corn snake:
- low maintenance,
- infrequent feeding,
- not live food,
- a set up that can be automated (lights, temperature), if I can build it myself it's a bonus,
- if it's relatively quiet that would be a bonus (ie not like a guinea pig).

I already know an aquarium and spiders are a no.


Can you help? Ta!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2017, 08:40 PM
Regular
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 95
Default

Ij carpet is a good shout. not too big and imo the staffy of the snake world. Really docile well behaved snake and they don't hide away.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2017, 08:55 PM
Egg
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyz View Post
Evening all,

I'm looking for suggestions for a pet for a 12yo boy. We already have a corn snake (mine) and dog which he helps out with (walking, bathing, cleaning up, grooming).

We're thinking about a pet he could keep in his room. He expressed interest in a beaded dragon, however, I've vetoed that (live food kept in house - he's a bit clumsy so the crickets would end up all over the house sooner rather than later, daily feedings - problems whilst on holiday).

I'm all for him getting a corn as well (I know the snake and can help if need be), but there's already one corn in the house.

Can you suggest other animals? Requirements would be that similar of a corn snake:
- low maintenance,
- infrequent feeding,
- not live food,
- a set up that can be automated (lights, temperature), if I can build it myself it's a bonus,
- if it's relatively quiet that would be a bonus (ie not like a guinea pig).

I already know an aquarium and spiders are a no.


Can you help? Ta!
I'd go down the route of maybe a Milk snake, or a King snake bare in mind they can be nippy at times.

Royal Python is my next option, can be fussy feeders yet all of mine have never had much problem bar while in shed.

I would certainly consider a Royal, some lovely morphs out there too. Hope this helps you.
Zincubus likes this.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2017, 09:02 PM
Ex0tic's Avatar
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 414
Default

What about a Naja Naja? Nice small species barely ever bite?



On a serious note: What about a Nice Royal/Ball Python? 'Can' Be calm or another corn snake? a milk snake, some of the easier to keep rat snakes?



~Tom
Zincubus likes this.
__________________
Too Many Things to List

Specializing in Aussie pythons.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Regular
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArronM View Post
I'd go down the route of maybe a Milk snake, or a King snake bare in mind they can be nippy at times.

Royal Python is my next option, can be fussy feeders yet all of mine have never had much problem bar while in shed.

I would certainly consider a Royal, some lovely morphs out there too. Hope this helps you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex0tic View Post
What about a Naja Naja? Nice small species barely ever bite?



On a serious note: What about a Nice Royal/Ball Python? 'Can' Be calm or another corn snake? a milk snake, some of the easier to keep rat snakes?



~Tom
Don't you think these are stock replies that accompany every post asking.

So they were looking for an alternative?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2017, 09:27 AM
Egg
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventor View Post
Don't you think these are stock replies that accompany every post asking.

So they were looking for an alternative?


Not really, they stated similar requirements to a corn snake, so I have my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Ex0tic's Avatar
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 414
Default

Naja Naja is simple care <:
Inventor likes this.
__________________
Too Many Things to List

Specializing in Aussie pythons.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Adamj1250's Avatar
Egg
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 3
Default

I started out with a Cali King when I was 12 and have never had any issue with them. As Arron mentioned can be a bit nippy when smaller but with regular handling they are so docile. Very inquisitive snakes as well.

Although the Naja Naja is an amazing shout
__________________
I prefer reptiles to people.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2017, 04:26 PM
Ex0tic's Avatar
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 414
Default

I brought my 7 year old a Atheris Chlorechis the other day. He free handles it and gives it kisses every hour (: He's called Garry The Garden Snake
__________________
Too Many Things to List

Specializing in Aussie pythons.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 15-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex0tic View Post
I brought my 7 year old a Atheris Chlorechis the other day. He free handles it and gives it kisses every hour (: He's called Garry The Garden Snake
Someone is telling porkies here on all fronts! For a start you don't have a 7 year old
Ex0tic likes this.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
12yo , children , pet

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Help For Heros

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:12 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)