Struggling to identify Pro rep mini jungle set plant - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 11-05-2017, 12:21 AM
Egg
Default Struggling to identify Pro rep mini jungle set plant

Hi,

Ok, where to start, so, I am currently in the middle of building a bioactive setup for a crested gecko. Since I didn't have much in the form of a plant nursery close by, I chose to try my luck at the 6 plant set to see where I could go from there.

In my set I received 3 sets of 2 plants. I recognised the first two (spider plant and earth star), but the third one had me scratching my head. I've been through the Pro rep live plant list and I'm still not sure.

I emailed the store I ordered it from and they thought it was a bromeliad. They sent me a link to the plant which, I think, was a guzmania. This had me puzzled as I have one on the kitchen windowsill with one of it's pups in a pot next to it and they look nothing alike.

If any of you have any other suggestions of what it may be would be great. I Was thinking it could either be a different brom, or maybe a fern that hasn't quite sprouted yet. I say that, but the leaves seem a bit thick for that. My first thought was a dracaena but that wasn't on the list from what I could see.

Anyway, if you could help, that would be great. I don't want to plant it if it's meant to be ephiphytic or vice versa, or use it at all if it turns out to be a bad idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Struggling to identify Pro rep mini jungle set plant-20170509_143653_1494458250582.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 08:06 AM
Gold Star Member

It looks like a bromeliad of some sort. Can't help beyond that. If it is potted in compost and rooted then chances are it is not an epiphyte.
For a definitive answer you could try contacting Kew Gardens to see if they would be willing to identify it from a photo.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Egg

Well, funnily enough i just processed it ready to go in the tank when the time comes. It was potted in what I'm guessing was coco husk. So I'm now thinking the same. It had brom type roots and the same dead end spring onion look to it where the roots were. Itll need potting in the background as the root system is still a little underdeveloped. I'm happy enough knowing that, I'll just wait and see what type it turns out to be.

Thanks for the help.

What I was quite surprised at was the use of what looked to be perlite in the substrate of the spider plant and earth star. It might not have been, but I can't help but think about the amount of people who just blindly repot these things into their tanks. Especially considering they're sold by a reptile company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 09:34 PM
Premier Citizen

It's a sanseviera, Mother in Laws Tongue

www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Old 16-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Egg

Oh, thank you. I never thought they would be a solid green colour when pups. That's awesome. I was thinking of buying one to go in as it was.
Tarron likes this.
Old 17-05-2017, 08:14 AM
Premier Citizen

They come in a massive range of colours, shades, shapes and sizes, for instance these are the types we have sold recently, though we have had plenty of others too:

sanseviera | Search Results | Bioactive Herps

www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Old 17-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Egg

Wow, yeah. It looks just like the small one but it's just a flat green that lightens towards the base. Do you know approx how large these will mature to? This is my first venture into full bioactive and im desperarely trying not to have to change anything once planted (even though no doubt I still will.)

Thanks for your help!
Old 17-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Premier Citizen

They shouldn't out grow the standard enclosure, certainly not for a long long time.
I find the smaller ones tend to stay fairly small but eventually will kick pups out left right and centre.

www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Old 17-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Egg

They're going into a 60x45x60 so I've plenty of open air space to play with for growth. She's still in a 45 cube grow-out just now until I'm happy with it, as she's young, I'm not really in any great rush time wise.
Old 17-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Egg

The work in progress. The expanding foam I had seemed to bubble up like mad leaving a few chambers underneath. It meant I ended up carving out way more than anticipated. But it helped with terrascaping as it created ledges etc for me once I got far enough down. Hoping the silicone will cover the glass areas too as some bubbles were right against the back glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Struggling to identify Pro rep mini jungle set plant-20170517_141757_1495027130958.jpg