Go Back   Reptile Forums > New Owners > Newbie Advice

Old 13-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Hatchling
Default how long can bearded dragon stay out of viv?

hi all, i am new here and i am 15. i am hopefully getting a bearded dragon. i have done alot of research about them but the only thing i can not find out is how long can you keep a bd out of it viv?

answers would be appreciated
Old 13-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Forum Citizen

well my viv is on the floor and when i am at school i leave them in (so they can get the uv and heat) and when i get home i let them out but i leave the dorr open i only lock them in when it is feeding time at school and at night obvioursly when i am away as well but my beardie were kinda trained lol as i left the doors open they wonderd in and out when they wanted if they were too cold or for some reson lol, hope this helps x
Old 13-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Forum Citizen

o and welcome!
Old 13-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Hatchling

thanx for the reply
Old 13-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Forum Citizen

no probz lol x
Old 13-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

Baby I would say 10 mins at a time really but as they get older they can stay out longer.. In the summer mine like to sit on the window sill.

Liz

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.
Old 13-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Super Citizen

I think they should only stay out until they start to get cold. if you consider that at night they are in their viv and its the same temp as your home they are ok for a little while, but need to get as warm as they can in the day- beardies need to be warm and under the UV to digest their food and so leave them alone when and after they eat. also remember to leave lights on 1 hour before feeding and 2 hours after so they can digest- I normally cuddle george for an hour after his lights go off, then he falls asleep and i put him back.

YOu know what... youll learn to read your beardie and what he/she wants and youll realsise when they want to go back.

I think its best as babies to maybe have them out for short spaces of time maybe 15mins and then put them back to warm up and then maybe after an hour or 2 get them out again.

Youll be just fine with your beardie- im really happy you are asking questions before you get your dragon- many people do it the wrong way round
Old 13-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Hatchling

thank you for the replys. another quick question, How often do you need to feed the bd's when their a baby and how often when they are adults?
Old 14-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Super Citizen

you always provide your beardie with fresh salad, whether a babie or an adult. I put mine in in the morning and change it when i finish work around 6. As a baby your beardie wont eat it, but if you leave it there then they gradually start to experiment.

With regard to live food, feed your babies 2-3 times a day, for 15minutes and put as much as they eat in. so what i do is put a few roaches/locusts into his viv them he eats them and i add more and continue for 15 mins. That then means i dont have to search his viv for hiding bugs at night to get them out! As a baby their diet is mainly live food and only when they get to adult do they switch and eat more salad than live. As an adult I think live food every other day is recommended.

Make sure you dust one of his/her meals with calcium each weekday as a baby and at the weekend use vitimins.
Old 14-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Send a message via MSN to AuntyLizard Send a message via Skype™ to AuntyLizard

Babys up to 8 wks 3 x a day 8wks - 14 wks 2 x a day there after until they are 6-7 months once a day. Fresh veg should be available daily.

I offer my babies veg before they are even introduced to live. This stops the problem of them not eating it, in fact mine prefer their veg to live.

Liz

It's good friends that walk beside you through the good times and carry you through the bad.