Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Other Pets and Exotics

Old 14-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Super Citizen

Hey guys, so i have just recieved an email from a member called coolbop, saying he works for preloved......

This is a message from coolbop at Reptile Forums UK ( Reptile Forums UK - Care, Pictures, Classifieds & More ). The Reptile Forums UK owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email coolbop, you can use this online form:
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/sendm...member&u=44908

OR, by email:
mailto:[email protected]

This is the message:

Hello Ditzychick,

I hope you don't mind me contacting you.

I noticed you posted a message regarding a scam on Preloved. I work for Preloved and I'd be really keen to look into this as soon as possible.

I couldn't find an advert matching your description on the site and I also couldn't find an account on Preloved with the username ditzychick. I wonder if you would mind letting me know your email address, either by replying to this email or sending it to us at Preloved | Free Photo ads in UK and Ireland

This will allow us to find your account and trace which advert it was you responded to.

Many thanks
Ian Buzer

this was my response

Hi, regarding the preloved scam, no offence but as you can imagine im a little wary about sending out my details especially as you are a very new member. I am a regular visitor to this site so you can send messages via here. As for the preloved scam, i presume the ad was removed as i could not locate it after i contacted the people responsible. If you work for preloved as you say, im sure you could check the archive, the ad was for a pomeranian puppy for adoption, i cant imagine there would be that many, so should be fairly easy to find. If you do find the ad copy and paste and send via a message and i can confirm, i can not remeber all details as it was like many ive seen, no reasons for the adoption just someone saying they wanted a home for their pet. Hope this helps

Am i right to be wary??

Im sure coolbop is following this thread and i apologise if hes legit.
Gosh stating to feel paranoid now

Old 14-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Pets are a luxury!!!
Send a message via AIM to Shell195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzychick View Post
Hey guys, so i have just recieved an email from a member called coolbop, saying he works for preloved......

This is a message from coolbop at Reptile Forums UK ( Reptile Forums UK - Care, Pictures, Classifieds & More ). The Reptile Forums UK owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email coolbop, you can use this online form:
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/sendm...member&u=44908

OR, by email:
mailto:[email protected]

This is the message:

Hello Ditzychick,

I hope you don't mind me contacting you.

I noticed you posted a message regarding a scam on Preloved. I work for Preloved and I'd be really keen to look into this as soon as possible.

I couldn't find an advert matching your description on the site and I also couldn't find an account on Preloved with the username ditzychick. I wonder if you would mind letting me know your email address, either by replying to this email or sending it to us at Preloved | Free Photo ads in UK and Ireland

This will allow us to find your account and trace which advert it was you responded to.

Many thanks
Ian Buzer

this was my response

Hi, regarding the preloved scam, no offence but as you can imagine im a little wary about sending out my details especially as you are a very new member. I am a regular visitor to this site so you can send messages via here. As for the preloved scam, i presume the ad was removed as i could not locate it after i contacted the people responsible. If you work for preloved as you say, im sure you could check the archive, the ad was for a pomeranian puppy for adoption, i cant imagine there would be that many, so should be fairly easy to find. If you do find the ad copy and paste and send via a message and i can confirm, i can not remeber all details as it was like many ive seen, no reasons for the adoption just someone saying they wanted a home for their pet. Hope this helps

Am i right to be wary??

Im sure coolbop is following this thread and i apologise if hes legit.
Gosh stating to feel paranoid now

He is legit as I have reported a couple of people from Preloved and it was Ian who dealt with it

ZAK MY GREEK DOG

WOODLANDS ANIMAL SANCTUARY
(also Registered hedgehog carers)
http://www.animalsanctuary.org.uk/
W.A.S. Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=97503031607

AFRICAN PYGMY HEDGEHOG RESCUE
http://www.homelesshogs.co.uk
Old 14-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Premier Citizen

I know this may sound a tad mean - but the spelling and grammar usually ring alarm bells for me. The odd mistake here and there i dont usually take a 2nd look at, but when text looks like its been typed into an 'online translator' than you kind of worry about where the person is situated.

Anyone who asks for money before they will let you view anything is to deemed as suspicious imo (unless you know for a fact they are a reputable breeder and are abroad!!)...
Old 14-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell195 View Post
He is legit as I have reported a couple of people from Preloved and it was Ian who dealt with it

Ian has now contacted me via preloved, and is now looking into it no doubt these people have already changed their email address now but at least someones doing something.

Old 14-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Pets are a luxury!!!
Send a message via AIM to Shell195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzychick View Post
Ian has now contacted me via preloved, and is now looking into it no doubt these people have already changed their email address now but at least someones doing something.

When I complained Ian was very efficiant at reomoving the ads and giving me updates

ZAK MY GREEK DOG

WOODLANDS ANIMAL SANCTUARY
(also Registered hedgehog carers)
http://www.animalsanctuary.org.uk/
W.A.S. Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=97503031607

AFRICAN PYGMY HEDGEHOG RESCUE
http://www.homelesshogs.co.uk
Old 14-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Gold Star Member

I feel very sorry for anyone who's been scammed, and not meaning to sound mean, but if they think nothing of having a dog delivered, I wonder how much is their own fault for not going through the "inconvenience" of going to meet a breeder and meet the parents etc.

I mean, if I wanted a specific pup, I probably wouldn't be looking in the free ads first of all, I'd be checking out local breeders and rescues. I'd be emailing them, phoning, going to visit - not leaving it to them to sort out.

If someone sits at home and think "this dog's being delivered, I dont even have to leave my sofa to order in a dog now, how fab is that?", then perhaps they are as much to blame as the scammers.

Bohemian Stud - breeding marked rats for pet/show.
Old 14-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Super Citizen

Ok guys feel a little bit of a plonker but the scam ad was on gumtree, not preloved. Really living up to the name ditzychick

Anyhow, within literally 3 minutes of reporting the ad it was taken off the site. The good thing is Ian, the guy from PL dealing with my idiocy has kept all contact details from the scammers in case they try on that site.

No doubt it will hinder them much but at least now that ads gone, tho there are a couple of other suss ads on gumtree....

Old 14-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via AIM to .D.o.m.i.n.o.

I wouldnt buy a dog unless i saw it first,i always check the animal before i pay,unless the website is very popular and looks real enough to me ect.
Thats crazy,id laugh if the police went to thier door and had them for it.

http://www.fabulouscoloursuk.webs.com/

Old 14-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by .D.o.m.i.n.o. View Post
I wouldnt buy a dog unless i saw it first,i always check the animal before i pay,unless the website is very popular and looks real enough to me ect.
Thats crazy,id laugh if the police went to thier door and had them for it.

Same here though i dont think i would ever have a dog delivered to me. The same goes for seeing the mum with the pups i've heard of a few people going to view pups and the mum has been "at a friends". More than likely a stolen pup or litter. I do find it amazing that some people fall so easily for these scams, either to trustworthy or desperate for a dog to see through it i guess.
Me, i'm to cynical

Old 14-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLQ View Post
I feel very sorry for anyone who's been scammed, and not meaning to sound mean, but if they think nothing of having a dog delivered, I wonder how much is their own fault for not going through the "inconvenience" of going to meet a breeder and meet the parents etc.

I mean, if I wanted a specific pup, I probably wouldn't be looking in the free ads first of all, I'd be checking out local breeders and rescues. I'd be emailing them, phoning, going to visit - not leaving it to them to sort out.

If someone sits at home and think "this dog's being delivered, I dont even have to leave my sofa to order in a dog now, how fab is that?", then perhaps they are as much to blame as the scammers.

But most have had small mammals delivered, lizards, snakes ect, dont see why by getting a courier for a dog that its their own fault?
People import dogs theyve never seen from america ect all the time.