Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise > Shelled Care Sheets

Old 04-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Egg
Default uv and heat lamps for hermanns tortoise

Please can someone give me some advise on the best uv light bulb and heat lamp to use and also advise me on how many hours per day to keep the light and uv on for above the tortoise-table i have made. Im unsure as to what my options are as to whether to get a uv tube or bulb and also how to keep the tortoise in the temperature which is required. would be grateful is someone could help me out as i havent got my hermanns tortoise yet and would like to know what is best, thanks
Old 06-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Super Regular

Check out the mega-rays in the links below !

Generally 10-12 hours per day - and for a indoor torotise habitat the 100w will be fine, however the enclosure need to be around 4ft x 2 ft to ensure good themal graident !

darren
Old 25-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Egg

I beg to differ sorry, you need to supply a uvb tube rather than bulb to allow more of a surface area of radience this doesnt need to be the maximum sun gradient we use a 2. but does need to be on for around 12 to 14 hours per day to mirror natural sunlight hours and needs to be within 12 inches of the tortoise otherwise any potential benefits are lost.

as for heating/light bulb, if you are keeping your tort in a tortoise table (please please please dont use a tank) then dependant on how high it is above the floor will depend on the bulb wattage required, i have a clamp lamp with a 60watt bulb to create a hot spot for basking under but this works as my light is around 10inches from the floor.

You also need to provide a heat mat on a thermostat the thermostat is of vital importance as torts tend to bury under them and yes they may be shelled but they can burn.

If you need any more advice give me a shout we have a very finickety rescue tortoise who was a quarter of his body weight under weight and has raised shell through pellet feeding creating a high protien and sugar diet, dont believe this mush about the pellets ar a complete food, they should be an occasional food only.

hope this helps
Old 25-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Super Citizen

Well I think we'll all differ somewhere along the lines..

For mine I use a basking bulb of 50w in a porclaine clamp lamp bout 10 inches above the ground maintaining a top temp of 32 degrees for heat.(higher or lower to gain that temp)
My UVB is a 10.0 strip bulb bout 1 inch higher than the biggest tort fixed to the longest side of the table. Changed every 6-8 months,
Underneath their basking spot is their stone hide which is dug down in the sand/soil mix and they love it, the roof of that hide is the basking stone. There is another hide on the cooler side which temp is 22 degrees, they love climbing over this one. My Hermanns are very happy very healthy and i love em to bits.
My lights/heat come on at 6am and off at 7pm
Old 27-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeni View Post
I beg to differ sorry, you need to supply a uvb tube rather than bulb to allow more of a surface area of radience this doesnt need to be the maximum sun gradient we use a 2. but does need to be on for around 12 to 14 hours per day to mirror natural sunlight hours and needs to be within 12 inches of the tortoise otherwise any potential benefits are lost.

as for heating/light bulb, if you are keeping your tort in a tortoise table (please please please dont use a tank) then dependant on how high it is above the floor will depend on the bulb wattage required, i have a clamp lamp with a 60watt bulb to create a hot spot for basking under but this works as my light is around 10inches from the floor.

You also need to provide a heat mat on a thermostat the thermostat is of vital importance as torts tend to bury under them and yes they may be shelled but they can burn.

If you need any more advice give me a shout we have a very finickety rescue tortoise who was a quarter of his body weight under weight and has raised shell through pellet feeding creating a high protien and sugar diet, dont believe this mush about the pellets ar a complete food, they should be an occasional food only.

hope this helps
Im sure heat mats arent needed if your temps are ok?
MaMExotics likes this.
Old 27-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeni View Post

hope this helps
Mercury vapour bulbs (MVBs) are superior to both tubes and compact bulbs. Tubes are better than compacts for tortoises, cos as you say, they have more reach. But a MegaRay kicks a tube's bum all the way to next week, in terms of UVB output!

And do you mean you use a 2.0 UVB tube? If you do, and you have no other UVB source, then this is nowehere near enough. You need a 10.0 minimum, 12.0 if you can get one. If your tort is a red foot, then most keepers use a 5.0, but I'd double check on that as I don't keep them (yet!)

I would also not recommend using a heat mat below the tortoises, as you said yourself, they can burn. Heat mats usually are unnecessary. If extra heat is needed (at night for example) then you should use a ceramic heat bulb on a stat.

Emmaf, you alter the temp of the hot end by altering the height of your basking bulb/combined bulb (MVB) If you haven't bought anything yet, you should go for a combined bulb, like the MegaRay. They last around 2 years (tubes last 6 months) and they provide heat for basking as well as UVB. They are more expensive to start with, but better value in the long run, and are a superior product.

Darren (Kimbos) will sort you out for your lighting stuff

0.2.0 Common musks [Tutti & Fruitti] 0.1.0 Razorback musk [Doodlebug] 0.2.0 Reeves turtles [Nova & Io] 0.1.0 Spotted turtle [Domino]
1.1.0 Hermanns tortoises [Big & Not So]
1.0.0 Labrador [Rigsby]

UK Turtle Group | Facebook