Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise



  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Egg
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5
Default Importing pet tortoise to the UK

Hello, I just signed up here so there may well be a thread about this already (didnt see one though). Anyway basically my girlfriend is coming to live with me, from Uruguay, and she has two tortoises (I cant remember off the top of my head the species).

I flicked through this government site but I wasnt totally clear on parts of it, so if anyone can help me here and give me some places to contact or some definitive answers to these questions, i'd be very grateful. Thanks!

- She is flying from Uruguay to Spain to the UK
- She has no paperwork or anything for the tortoises, and they aren't microchipped

Can she take them with her to the UK?
If she can't take them for whatever reason, is there any way they can be transported in, legally?
What costs are involved and how much could be involved? Transportation, quarantine, microchipping or whatever measures are necessary?

Thanks to anyone who can help me at all!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19-07-2008, 07:15 PM
fantapants's Avatar
No Life Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,188
Reviews: 3
Send a message via AIM to fantapants Send a message via MSN to fantapants Send a message via Yahoo to fantapants Send a message via Skype™ to fantapants
Default

their is no quarantine for reptiles as rabies doesnt affect them. so they will be able to come into the country PROVIDING they have any relevant paperwork that is needed for their species. so its most important that you find out the type of tortoise, then we can tell you if they need paperwork. we can take it from there.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19-07-2008, 07:19 PM
-EJ -EJ is offline
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,589
Default

Odds are they are Redfoots or Chacos...

Export permits... health certificates... import permits...

Going through Spain adds to the problem.

For specifics on importing personal pets into the UK...

Defra, UK - Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Go to this web page and then the 'contact us' portion with your question.

That would be the easiest way to get a proper answer.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevelyan View Post
Hello, I just signed up here so there may well be a thread about this already (didnt see one though). Anyway basically my girlfriend is coming to live with me, from Uruguay, and she has two tortoises (I cant remember off the top of my head the species).

I flicked through this government site but I wasnt totally clear on parts of it, so if anyone can help me here and give me some places to contact or some definitive answers to these questions, i'd be very grateful. Thanks!

- She is flying from Uruguay to Spain to the UK
- She has no paperwork or anything for the tortoises, and they aren't microchipped

Can she take them with her to the UK?
If she can't take them for whatever reason, is there any way they can be transported in, legally?
What costs are involved and how much could be involved? Transportation, quarantine, microchipping or whatever measures are necessary?

Thanks to anyone who can help me at all!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Egg
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5
Default

Looks identical to a Chaco. First image I found, looked like a clone of her eldest

This is the baby of the two, much younger, but the camera is messed up. Is this also a Chaco? The shell has far less brown.


Last edited by Trevelyan; 19-07-2008 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19-07-2008, 10:01 PM
-EJ -EJ is offline
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,589
Default

My money says that it is a wonderful looking baby Chaco.

If your friend can get an export permit and health certificate... I don't see why it cannot be brought into the UK. I don't think it is protected in Uraguay.

Let me know what DEFRA has to say if and when you contact them directly.

Ed


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevelyan View Post
Looks identical to a Chaco. First image I found, looked like a clone of her eldest

This is the baby of the two, much younger, but the camera is messed up. Is this also a Chaco? The shell has far less brown.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Egg
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5
Default

Ok the main parts of the email:

"The information below should be used in conjunction to the following information on veterinary checks on live animals before travel:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/int-trde/imports/iins/pdf/general-tina1.pdf"

"There are no animal health import requirements for pet reptiles. These animals can be brought into the UK as long as they are accompanied by their owner and a letter from a vet or the owner stating that the animals are fit and healthy to complete the journey."

"If you are also going to Spain I also suggest contacting the Spanish authorities, to ensure there are no additional requirements."

Iberia (airline) has some vague rules, based on cats, dogs and ferrets as pets. Ill have to ring them too. But it looks like all she needs is a vet's approval in writing? Tortoises dont need microchips, do they?

Last edited by Trevelyan; 23-07-2008 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2008, 04:41 PM
-EJ -EJ is offline
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,589
Default

As far as I know Chacos do not have to be chipped.

Keep in mind that a Chaco in the UK is worth it's weight in gold.

Good luck.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevelyan View Post
Ok the main parts of the email:

"The information below should be used in conjunction to the following information on veterinary checks on live animals before travel:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/int-trde/imports/iins/pdf/general-tina1.pdf"

"There are no animal health import requirements for pet reptiles. These animals can be brought into the UK as long as they are accompanied by their owner and a letter from a vet or the owner stating that the animals are fit and healthy to complete the journey."

"If you are also going to Spain I also suggest contacting the Spanish authorities, to ensure there are no additional requirements."

Iberia (airline) has some vague rules, based on cats, dogs and ferrets as pets. Ill have to ring them too. But it looks like all she needs is a vet's approval in writing? Tortoises dont need microchips, do they?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Egg
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5
Default

Yeah and that sort of disturbed me. I was looking on google for "UK Chaco tortoise" and the prices really were weird, considering you can get them in Uruguay (and probably cheaper in native Argentina) for the equivalent of about 8 or 9 quid.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2008, 10:30 PM
-EJ -EJ is offline
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,589
Default

It is wierd... they are as common as dirt in the country of origin BUT you cannot get export permits... pets is another issue.

Nice looking babies... like you have pictured... gold.

creepy if you think about it.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevelyan View Post
Yeah and that sort of disturbed me. I was looking on google for "UK Chaco tortoise" and the prices really were weird, considering you can get them in Uruguay (and probably cheaper in native Argentina) for the equivalent of about 8 or 9 quid.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Importing shiftylou Hobby Issues & Information 1 06-10-2009 03:38 PM
importing Lynne Snakes 120 23-02-2009 05:32 AM
importing from the u.s sea_beaver Lizards 3 01-10-2007 11:01 AM
importing discodazz General Herp Chat 11 14-04-2007 07:16 PM
importing darkdan99 General Herp Chat 2 27-03-2007 12:23 AM


Help For Heros

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:59 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)
Privacy Policy