Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 22-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Super Citizen
Default Pregnant tortoise

My tortoises have been at it for the past few months and the female has no stopped eating. If she is pregnant she should be laying eggs within the next month or so. She normally darts over to the food as soon as it's placed in with them and the male is such a gent, he lets her eat first. The last few days though, she's not touched a thing. I picked her up and she is very heavy - much heavier than normal. Has she fattened herself up so she does not have to eat just before she lays eggs? Is this normal for the female to not eat if she is pregnant?

They are Bells Hingebacks
Old 22-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Premier Citizen

Has she been pacing, digging or sniffing at all.
Old 22-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Premier Member

If your tortoise is off her food, it could be a number of reasons.
One she is slowing down because of the temperature changes outside.
Two, she is ill.
Three she is gravid (carrrying eggs).
Just because they have been mating, does not always mean eggs are on the way.
If that were true, I would have eggs every two months or less
Old 22-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Super Citizen

I know it does not mean that she is pregnant just because they are mating. I'm not sure what you mean about having eggs laid every couple of weeks because the tortoises I own lay eggs once a year around november time...... That's what I have found to be true from the research I have done anyway.

She did used to pace around for a little while but then she took to burying herself in one particular corner, up the hot end. Not burried completely but low enough to have the substrate covering half way up her shell. Now, she just stays in that corner half burried up. I could be wrong about her not eating at all as I am at work during the day - but when I feed them she is first over waiting where I put the food. Atr the moment she just stays in her corner.

She doesn't look ill. She still looks the same with clear eyes and nose, it's just the way she is acting that has changed. Also, she is much heavier than before.
Old 22-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Premier Member

It could sound promising then.
Or you have got a tortoise that just loves to bask when the weather changes.
Old 22-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Super Citizen

I didn't have the female last winter so I'm not sure if she loves to bask when the weather changes. If she does lay eggs, what should I do? I have an incubator ready but I don't know how to go about helping these eggs on their way. I've done quite a bit of reading, but everything you read says something different to what you previously read - which is very annoying.

Things I'd like to know are how long should I wait to take the eggs away and incubate them? What is the best way to keep them in the incubator - on a wet paper towel, in substrate - what? Any advice will be greatly appreciated......
Old 22-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
I didn't have the female last winter so I'm not sure if she loves to bask when the weather changes. If she does lay eggs, what should I do? I have an incubator ready but I don't know how to go about helping these eggs on their way. I've done quite a bit of reading, but everything you read says something different to what you previously read - which is very annoying.

Things I'd like to know are how long should I wait to take the eggs away and incubate them? What is the best way to keep them in the incubator - on a wet paper towel, in substrate - what? Any advice will be greatly appreciated......
I tend to wait till the tortoise has finished filling the nest back in and has walked away from the site. They are usually pretty hungry after laying so give her a good feed and go digging! Damp vermiculite is a good subsrate for the eggs and you can bed the eggs down into it to help make sure they don't roll over or get turned. If you see her nesting I'd get the vermiculite in a box (eg a seed tray), put it in the incubator and switch it on. This wil let the damp vermiculaite get up to temperature before the eggs go in.

Has she got an area deep enough to lay eggs? It needs to be quite compact and deep. She may be holding on if there isn't a suitable nest site.
Old 23-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Super Citizen

It is deep enough, but she always digs it out when ever I cover it over again. The substrate I have used is the coconut musk plantation soil one. You get a brick and put it in water and end up with a million tonnes of soil. I did use the sand one before but it dried out too quick and wasn't firm, it just ended up like normal sand. Plus, it left silver and gold marks on their shells which I didn't like. The soil substrate is OK isn't it? I have it deep enough so it can cover her shell - maybe I should have it deeper than that
Old 23-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Shelled Warriors Shop

My tortoises lay in top soil. Its important that the soil can with hold a nest - not to dry. I give my soil a good watering down every day.

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'
Livefood, Thermostats, Tortoise Tables, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc et
Old 23-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Regular

congrats if they doo lay eggs! and sorry but i dont have eany tips