Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 25-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Premier Member
Default Turtle pond advice

This is my first post in this section and I've heard lots of horror stories so be gentle with me please

It looks like we're going to have to build an outdoor pond for our River cooter as he's quickly outgrowing his new tank (has grown 2 inches in the last 6 months) He's now 7 inches shell length. Rather than putting him up for rehome as there is far too many unwanted turts we're going to build him his own pond in the spring.

I haven't a clue about outdoor ponds tbh, I'd like to know roughly what size he will need, filtration, heating? What to do in Winter, basically any information at all please
Old 25-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Allergic to stupid
Send a message via MSN to incrisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by *H* View Post
This is my first post in this section and I've heard lots of horror stories so be gentle with me please

It looks like we're going to have to build an outdoor pond for our River cooter as he's quickly outgrowing his new tank (has grown 2 inches in the last 6 months) He's now 7 inches shell length. Rather than putting him up for rehome as there is far too many unwanted turts we're going to build him his own pond in the spring.

I haven't a clue about outdoor ponds tbh, I'd like to know roughly what size he will need, filtration, heating? What to do in Winter, basically any information at all please
To the madhouse

I don't know much about turtles as I don't have any, but take a look at this sticky for some info.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/shell...tion-info.html

I am sure some turtle nutter will be along soon
Old 25-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Gold Star Member

uum...no idea really, im doing a 15x6x5' pond in the spring.

depth is important for overwintering...

sure someone will tell you the best later.

was great in the summer watching them on the island in the pond
Old 25-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Gold Star Member

we're on our 2nd pond for our turtles, if you want to winter them out they need a deep part of a minimum of 3 foot preferably more like 4ft , we manged to pick up a canister pond filter and large pump free from our local freecycle site which saved a bit of money, and we also have growing water cress as they love to eat it and it makes an excellent filter and can help prevent blanket weed, in an ideal world a "beach area" is nice where they can lay eggs and sunbathe but they will use any thing as a bathing area, the whole thing will need a good non see through fence around it and netting over the top in case of bird attack at least untill they are big enough not to be threatened by a heron for example, no fish in the pond unless you want them eaten, Cooljules on here has come up with the idea of covering some of the pond with a greenhouse his ideas are on here, that would give the turtles a warm area all year but that depends on how much space and money you have to spend. The cheapest way is a liner although our preformed pond again came free from freecycle and size wise as big as you can make it and at least some of it in the sun, its great fun designing and making a pond and its well worth visiting some of the garden or water world centers to get ideas first, this is our pond and turtles

Old 25-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrisis View Post
To the madhouse

I don't know much about turtles as I don't have any, but take a look at this sticky for some info.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/shell...tion-info.html

I am sure some turtle nutter will be along soon
Thankyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljules View Post
uum...no idea really, im doing a 15x6x5' pond in the spring.

depth is important for overwintering...

sure someone will tell you the best later.

was great in the summer watching them on the island in the pond
Is it better to leave them in the pond in winter or bring them in do you know?
Old 25-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsimpson1 View Post
we're on our 2nd pond for our turtles, if you want to winter them out they need a deep part of a minimum of 3 foot preferably more like 4ft , we manged to pick up a canister pond filter and large pump free from our local freecycle site which saved a bit of money, and we also have growing water cress as they love to eat it and it makes an excellent filter and can help prevent blanket weed, in an ideal world a "beach area" is nice where they can lay eggs and sunbathe but they will use any thing as a bathing area, the whole thing will need a good non see through fence around it and netting over the top in case of bird attack at least untill they are big enough not to be threatened by a heron for example, no fish in the pond unless you want them eaten, Cooljules on here has come up with the idea of covering some of the pond with a greenhouse his ideas are on here, that would give the turtles a warm area all year but that depends on how much space and money you have to spend. The cheapest way is a liner although our preformed pond again came free from freecycle and size wise as big as you can make it and at least some of it in the sun, its great fun designing and making a pond and its well worth visiting some of the garden or water world centers to get ideas first, this is our pond and turtles

Wow that looks fantastic!!!!
Thankyou for the info, that has been a great help Do they require any type of heating? And is there any plants that is dangerous to turts?
Old 25-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *H* View Post
Thankyou

Is it better to leave them in the pond in winter or bring them in do you know?
well, i would leave them out all year if deep enough...mien slowed down around sept....then went to the bottom of the pond, but i had to bring in, as it wasnt deep enough...only 1.5'

i have had 3 arrive in the past week, so 9 now....yes NINE, all this from 1 the postman brought me in the summer...i have a big external filter in the house now, but no way would i keep them inside all year...well if i had 1 or 2...

last 2 was to be stopped down in a park pond..

more and more are getting dumped in parks etc.

if you can, i would go for the biggest pond you can. then you have room for more should it need be.

i have big goldfish in mine and none were eaten or attacked, some say its fine, some not...

i have a 6' filter box, huge uv tube holder and hundreds of pipes n pups, all came donated...all from someones koi pond
Old 25-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Gold Star Member

unless your lucky or rich enough to afford Koi pond heating there isn't really anything else you can us we toyed with the idea of putting a swimming pool heater in the system but as long as the pond is deep enough the temps at the bottom don't go below 4c ( at least that the figure I go by) then they are ok, they will slow down possibly hide in any mud on the bottom of the pond but you'll still see them out on sunny days, at least mine are. As for plants water cress/duck weed/wild water mint/grasses etc most garden centers can tell you which are poisonous, but mine don't seem to touch any thing much they are nice and fat so must be eating something but they certainly don't make much impression on the plants, there must be lots of bugs etc in the water.
Old 25-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljules View Post
well, i would leave them out all year if deep enough...mien slowed down around sept....then went to the bottom of the pond, but i had to bring in, as it wasnt deep enough...only 1.5'

i have had 3 arrive in the past week, so 9 now....yes NINE, all this from 1 the postman brought me in the summer...i have a big external filter in the house now, but no way would i keep them inside all year...well if i had 1 or 2...

last 2 was to be stopped down in a park pond..

more and more are getting dumped in parks etc.

if you can, i would go for the biggest pond you can. then you have room for more should it need be.

i have big goldfish in mine and none were eaten or attacked, some say its fine, some not...

i have a 6' filter box, huge uv tube holder and hundreds of pipes n pups, all came donated...all from someones koi pond
Again that looks fantasic! You can say no if you like... lol But is there any chance of coming to have alook at yours when the weather warms up a bit next year?
Old 25-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsimpson1 View Post
unless your lucky or rich enough to afford Koi pond heating there isn't really anything else you can us we toyed with the idea of putting a swimming pool heater in the system but as long as the pond is deep enough the temps at the bottom don't go below 4c ( at least that the figure I go by) then they are ok, they will slow down possibly hide in any mud on the bottom of the pond but you'll still see them out on sunny days, at least mine are. As for plants water cress/duck weed/wild water mint/grasses etc most garden centers can tell you which are poisonous, but mine don't seem to touch any thing much they are nice and fat so must be eating something but they certainly don't make much impression on the plants, there must be lots of bugs etc in the water.

Ahh thanks for that, the spot we have in mind in our back garden seems to be a bit of a sun trap so as long as they've got some shade to get out of the sun if they choose too, that should be sufficiant heat for them?
I'll have to look into the plants as the cooter try's to nibble on the plastic leaves he has in his tank now, don't want him eating anything that would poison him. Thanks again for the info