Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 25-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Hatchling
Question How long do they sleep?

Hi all,

I finally picked up my 2007 Horsfield yesterday and he/she is great - a little nervous for the first 10 minutes or so but after that has settled really well. He doesnt half like a wander mind, exploring, digging, climbing and eating everything in sight - including his cuttle fish!

Anyway, this might be a silly question but how long do they sleep for? He/she went to bed last night at about 8pm (when I switched his lights off) and he is still sleeping now. Do you wake them or just let them be until they settle? I have put some food out to try and tempt him but as of yet nothing.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 25-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Gold Star Member

Your tortoise should wake up slowly once the heat and light are switched on again. If its coldish outside it will take longer.
Light has a lot to do with tortoises waking up as much as heat.
If it is too hot or too cold they will remain dug down or alseep.
You can if you are worried (after an hour or so of the heat and light on) wake him/her up and put them under the light/heat.
Dont forget to bathe your tortoise every day too. Keeping them hydrated is more important than food. They can go weeks without food but not water.
Old 25-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Hatchling

Thank you, where he has decided to sleep is a funny place. The lights are on and it is heated up and as of yet there is no movement.

Good tip on bathing him every day - thanks!

Marc
Old 25-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Regular

My little fella' took about a week or 2 to get used. Now its up about 10-15 minutes after the light comes on and its in bed between 10 minutes before or 10 minutes after the light goes out at night.

Like you said though, when I got mine I was a little worried to start with as he wasn't coming out at all even after tempting it with some food but would take him a few hours to come out, and at that it was only for a quick walk/eat and back to bed again.

2 months later though and he is a funny wee thing that goes at some speed towards you when he sees you or food.
Old 25-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Super Regular

My nans gets up everyday at 8 and goes back to bed between 3and 4
Old 25-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Hatchling

I will monitor him and see what he does. We have been out today and there has been evidence of him walking round and his food has been eaten as has some of the plants we have in. Now that we are back though the poor little thing is just sitting facing the corner - we feel dead sorry for him!

Marc
Old 25-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0xmarcx0x View Post
I will monitor him and see what he does. We have been out today and there has been evidence of him walking round and his food has been eaten as has some of the plants we have in. Now that we are back though the poor little thing is just sitting facing the corner - we feel dead sorry for him!

Marc
Sounds like its shy When it gets used to its surroundings it will be more active I'm sure.

Saying that, I fed mine this morning first thing when it got up, quickly ate everything like usual and since it's just sat in its basking area and not moved since. Well apart from a couple of times I have put my hand in and its came running over to it (just making sure its not stuck or anything :p). Light goes off in half an hour so no doubt it will be back in its bed :p

But yea seriously, give it a couple of weeks before worrying. Just make sure its eating (which it is as you said) and make sure you give it a bath I think once every 2 days is what is recommended but give mine one a day unless there is proof its been in its water.
Old 25-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Gold Star Member

All new tortoises can take time to settle into a new home, a lot of patience is needed.
I would recommend bathing everyday for a while, to make sure he/she is hydrated. You can cut it down to every other day later on.
As I have said before, eating is not the most important thing to a tortoise, but keeping a weight chart does help with how much he/she puts on. Weighing once a month gives you a good idea of how they are growing.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
My little fella' took about a week or 2 to get used. Now its up about 10-15 minutes after the light comes on and its in bed between 10 minutes before or 10 minutes after the light goes out at night.

Like you said though, when I got mine I was a little worried to start with as he wasn't coming out at all even after tempting it with some food but would take him a few hours to come out, and at that it was only for a quick walk/eat and back to bed again.

2 months later though and he is a funny wee thing that goes at some speed towards you when he sees you or food.
Hi
Just got a new horsfield for my son, he is sleeping a lot at the minute and trying to bury. When you say lights out, do you mean that you switch both lights off during the night or just one.
xxxx
chers Sandra
Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylass View Post
Hi
Just got a new horsfield for my son, he is sleeping a lot at the minute and trying to bury. When you say lights out, do you mean that you switch both lights off during the night or just one.
xxxx
chers Sandra
Lights/Heat/UV should be on at the moment for about 12 hours per day - mine are on timers 7am to 7pm but if they're all in bed for about 5pmish I do switch them off early. Hope that helps