Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 22-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Olive Oil

Hello guys, your gonna think im nuts but this is just a question and a theory from my Gran.

My grandmother had two torts years and years and years ago. She let them run round the house free and probably fed them on salad greens etc that we all now know are bad. But she said that she always put olive oil or vegtable oil on there shells and they looked lovely and healthy (She is Mad by the Way) but i am wondering, ha sanyone else ever heard/tried this and does it work? i doubt it would do any harm as they climb round soil and dirt etc all day long and nothing seems to hurt or annoy them. Just a Question and maybe someone on here is as mad as my Gran.

On another note, the torts my Gran had, died a horrible horrible way. It was a cold winter, and as i said she let them run wild in the house. Well as it was cold they went looking for the warmest part of the house, HGuess where?........ You got it, the fireplace You see my gran had this real old fire where the ashes burned down onto a pan underneath the fire door, she took it out and dumped the ashes, came back in and lit the fire. She said she went looking for the torts and wondered where in the hell did they go and not finding them. Well later that night or the next day she done what she normally done, took the ashes out and looked down While she wa sout the day before dumping the ashes, the poor torts climbed up onto the hearth, and into the ash tray chamber to get heat and when she returened not knowing, closed them in and lit the fire. I only hope they died of smoke inhalation and not the heat.

Just thought i would let you know whilst talking about my crazy Gran.
Old 22-11-2009, 11:33 PM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy06 View Post
Hello guys, your gonna think im nuts but this is just a question and a theory from my Gran.

My grandmother had two torts years and years and years ago. She let them run round the house free and probably fed them on salad greens etc that we all now know are bad. But she said that she always put olive oil or vegtable oil on there shells and they looked lovely and healthy (She is Mad by the Way) but i am wondering, ha sanyone else ever heard/tried this and does it work? i doubt it would do any harm as they climb round soil and dirt etc all day long and nothing seems to hurt or annoy them. Just a Question and maybe someone on here is as mad as my Gran.

On another note, the torts my Gran had, died a horrible horrible way. It was a cold winter, and as i said she let them run wild in the house. Well as it was cold they went looking for the warmest part of the house, HGuess where?........ You got it, the fireplace You see my gran had this real old fire where the ashes burned down onto a pan underneath the fire door, she took it out and dumped the ashes, came back in and lit the fire. She said she went looking for the torts and wondered where in the hell did they go and not finding them. Well later that night or the next day she done what she normally done, took the ashes out and looked down While she wa sout the day before dumping the ashes, the poor torts climbed up onto the hearth, and into the ash tray chamber to get heat and when she returened not knowing, closed them in and lit the fire. I only hope they died of smoke inhalation and not the heat.

The only thing you would need to put on your tortoise's shell is water! Do not use any oils or other substances! It was common practice to oil the shell of tortoises years ago.

I have OCD - Obsessive Chihuahua Disorder!

Old 22-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy06 View Post

aww thats so sad

Old 23-11-2009, 12:01 AM
No Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardtortoise View Post
aww thats so sad
It is sin't it? Poor torts!

I have OCD - Obsessive Chihuahua Disorder!

Old 23-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Gold Star Member

torts shells are porous and are also heat exchangers so putting anything other than water on them can block/stop this process and maybe taken into the body.
Old 23-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Premier Member

Any oily substance put on a tortoises shell, will bake them in any sunshine or hot heat, and go near a fire and it will instantly catch fire
Just water is good enough to keep their shells clean, not that they need to be clean. When you bathe them just run water over their shells.
Old 23-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsimpson1 View Post
torts shells are porous and are also heat exchangers so putting anything other than water on them can block/stop this process and maybe taken into the body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepixie View Post
Any oily substance put on a tortoises shell, will bake them in any sunshine or hot heat, and go near a fire and it will instantly catch fire
Just water is good enough to keep their shells clean, not that they need to be clean. When you bathe them just run water over their shells.

agreed ladies!
Old 23-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Postaholic Member

Aww, your grans poor torts. That must have been horrible to find.

I agree too on the olive oil. There's not much point trying to keep them clean and shiny anyway, they're natural mucky pups!

0.2.0 Common musks [Tutti & Fruitti] 0.1.0 Razorback musk [Doodlebug] 0.2.0 Reeves turtles [Nova & Io] 0.1.0 Spotted turtle [Domino]
1.1.0 Hermanns tortoises [Big & Not So]
1.0.0 Labrador [Rigsby]

UK Turtle Group | Facebook
Old 23-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Gold Star Member

I think they produce their own natural oils otherwise their shells would dry out, mine always have a nice healthy shine at least when they're not covered in mud the darker ones seem to show it more
Old 24-11-2009, 07:13 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepixie View Post
I donated one of Mrs Bee's small make up brushes as they have soft bristles. My tort then gets a shell wash at bath time, just using bath water he's sat in.