Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 15-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Egg
Question Hermann tortoise not eating

Hi i'm new to this, wondering if I could get some advice on my 4year old Hermann tortoise.
Over the last three days he's stopped eating and isn't interested in doing anything.
I've bathed him for 30 mins just to encourage something as he gets in a strop with me and eat's a lot after having a bath and hasn't done this.
He lives indoors, he has the house to roam around and a viv with one glass door removed to get some air into it, and to keep the temp to the correct temp.
don't really know what to do.
Any help or advice would be great
Thanks
xx
Old 15-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Hatchling

Ok, so my first suggestion is to let your tortoise have some fresh air , obviously I'm not forcing you to go out and by an outdoor run , but what you should do is let him walk around the grass but make sure you watch him ; because he might Even graze on the odd dandelion or bit of grass , also i would suggest to give him some fruit i.e peach , plum or nectarine . that's what i did and he was intrigued by the exotic fruit and tried it
Also is he knew and / or has he been moved ?

Good Luck - keep ^^in touch as this could become major.! But remember if the tortoise was in the wild he wouldn't eat everyday so don't expect them to eat every day in captivity . But fresh air will definetely be good
Old 15-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Egg

hi there. Thanks for getting back to me.
I got him to eat half a strawberry, but he didn't touch anything else. However i can't just fed him that all the time.
He doesn't just live in his viv. He has a ramp that leads out to the rest of our house. which is aired daily. He spends most of his time in our utility room where its nice n warm n has sun in all day.
I think i need to take him to the vets to get wormed just to see if that might b an issue. I live in Scotland so nice weather doesn't come round often. so when we do have nice weather he is out whilst we watch. i had seedling trays which he can walk about in and eat. but haven't had the weather to do this, should i bring them in?
I understand he wouldn't eat every day. however Theo has always loved his food.
thank you.
Old 15-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Hatchling

I suggest setting up a permanent basking spot somewhere in your utility room if this is where hes living as they need a basking spot of around 30 degrees celsius, if too cold they will generally become lethargic, uninterested in food and more susceptible to illness. During the summer they need about 12h of uv, although sunlight does filter through the windows about 90% of the uv-b is filtered out by the glass and so your tort may not be getting the recommended uv-b exposure relative to a tort housed with access to a 10.0 uv-b tube.
Solar glo's are the perfect bulb to fit in a room.
Michelle
1.0.0 Moroccan eyed lizard
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
1.1.0 Fire Salamander
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor
Old 15-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Premier Citizen

If your tortoise has been fine and eating well up to a few days ago, I would let him be and see how he is after a week. Keep up his morning baths and put something like cucumber in front of him to temp his appetite. This is the time of year when some reptiles start the wind down for hibernation and cut down on food anyway. It's very hot down south at the moment and my tortoises are still eating and are outside, however, they are not consuming the amounts they were a while back. See how it goes and report back in a week.
Old 15-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Ultra Citizen

From what this lot say on here, giving fruit regularly isnt a great idea..something to do with sugars? Maybe bringing indoors under lamps and upping the temps as well as daily bathing will encourage appetite..weather over here has been rotten..the outdoor run was flooded and plants drowned I'm only a tyro with tortoise keeping but I know turtles will suddenly stop eating for no apparent reason (one does it before her shed), and then resume a week or so later with no ill effects. ...hope the little one decides to stop stressing you out
Old 16-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Denise aka Martini
Default dont feed fruit to tortoises

Hi i dont advise feeding fruit to your hermans (sorry to person who suggested it) but tortoises digestive system cant cope with the natural sugars found in fruit, ive done alot of research on this subject. The only type of tortoises that can cope with eating fruit are the tropical ones. Hope this helps
Old 16-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Hatchling
Arrow

so what tropical fruits are you suggesting? ^^^^^
Old 16-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise aka Martini View Post
Hi i dont advise feeding fruit to your hermans (sorry to person who suggested it) but tortoises digestive system cant cope with the natural sugars found in fruit, ive done alot of research on this subject. The only type of tortoises that can cope with eating fruit are the tropical ones. Hope this helps
I think most of us have fed some fruit to our older tortoises, although we are told it is not good to give too much. In the wild, I am sure they would come across some, like fallen fruits, wild strawberries, apples, maybe even figs and peaches and they don't seem to have any digestive problems, however, it would be good if you could share your research with us. How have you gone about discovering what happens in the gut? I myself am extremely interested, as I have done alot of study on canine nutritiion.
Old 16-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyware View Post
so what tropical fruits are you suggesting? ^^^^^
Tropical Tortoises (leopards, hingebacks ect) not tropical fruit.

I'd also be interested in your studies into the digestive systems. I have often wandered about this as they will eat fallen fruit in the wild without problems. As with all thier natural food though it would be seasonal and not a regular food . My Freerangers will all eat anything that fallen from our trees.... Apples, cherries, beans, Peach, tomatoes. But they eat alot of weeds and grass too for the rest of the year.

Tags
tortoise