Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 30-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Egg
Default Correct lighting

Hi all! First time poster.
Just to start I would like to say you have all done amazing jobs on your tables, pretty inspired.
Im getting 2 horsefield in the near future so I was was wondering if you guys could help.
Lighting. Would you be able to give me some info on heat and UVB lighting please? Also the correct ones to buy. Links would be very helpfull!
I look forward to see what you all have to say and offer
Thankyou!
Roy.
Old 30-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Egg

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...id=38386852186

Any objections on these? Obviously buy a 10.0 bulb instead of the 5.0 it says?
Old 30-04-2012, 09:17 PM
5 Star Member

Check out our brand new website for all the latest advice.

Arcadia Reptile : Arcadia Products Plc

It is though wholly unadvisable to use unbranded lamps. Please see the current issue of PRK for David Aldertons advice on this very subject.

I am more than happy to advise and of course I will, see how you get on with the website and if you have any questions let me know!

Good luck

John

The Arcadia Guide to Reptile and Amphibian Nutrition is OUT NOW!

www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"

www.Arcadia-reptile.com

Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED plant growth system http://arcadia-reptile.com/jungle-dawn-led/
Old 30-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Egg

Hi John, thankyou for replying!
The d3 uv basking bulb looks ideal!
From my research I have seen most people advise the uv output to be 10.0.
What watt bulb would be ideal for me? Also do you have any idea on which 'lamp shade' to get? Other than the e.t glo one.
Again, links to the specific items would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again, Roy.
Old 30-04-2012, 09:49 PM
5 Star Member

How high is your enclosure?

The Arcadia clamp lamp fittings come complete with all you need including the safety guard.

John

The Arcadia Guide to Reptile and Amphibian Nutrition is OUT NOW!

www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"

www.Arcadia-reptile.com

Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED plant growth system http://arcadia-reptile.com/jungle-dawn-led/
Old 30-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Egg

I don't own one yet, like I said it'll be the very near future. The enclosure will be 8" high but for 2 1 year old horsefield.

Can you buy from your website? Couldn't seem to find any sort of prices.
Thanks, Roy.
Old 30-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Super Regular

Personally I'd go for 160 watt Arcadia D3 Basking bulb (Mecury vapour bulb - MVB), which provides more natural levels of UVB, microwatts per square centimetre. Its ideal in that its both heat and UVB in one bulb, so you can raise/ lower the bulb over one area of the tortoise table to find that perfect basking temperature of 32-35C. They can they also move away from this for both thermo-regulatory reasons and to move away from light intensity.

Bare in mind that tortoises are naturally solitary and live at particularly low densities per square area in the wild. Two horsfield torts will be fine for first handful of years, but when they reach sexual maturity you will more than likely incur problems with aggression. At one year old they are difficult to sex as they aren't showing matured sexual characteristics to be be 100% certain. Males will fight endlessly and males will also harass females constantly once the hormones kick in! Even females can show some territoriality. A good ratio when keeping more than 1 is 1 male to a few females such as in the ratio of 1:4. In this case the males attention is spread between each female, rather than been focused on just one which would result in high levels of stress etc. - large enclosure is definitely recommended to give chance for the females to get away!

Please also consider the height of your enclosure, horsfield tortoises are renowned for their burrowing capabilities and its ideal to provide an area of the enclosure which has minimum 12" in depth of substrate (top soil+sand).

Hope this helps.
Old 30-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Egg

See alot of people on here seem to only use the 100watt, but unless anyone has another valid argument soon it looks like I'll be going for the 160. Obviously I'd buy the larger lamp to withstand the heat of the 160 bulb. The Arcadia ceramic lamp again looks spot on. You do sound real experienced so thankyou for your help!
As you said for the first handful of years I should be safe, if I did notice aggression if it came to it I would separate them at the right time in the future. Who knows, by then I might have the ratio of 4:1 as you advised.

As for the depth of the substrate as the torts get older they will be getting a bigger table so I will deffinately keep that in mind!
I will be using sand/soil (play/top) for the substrate. I've leant to keep this reasonably dry as horsefield don't do well in damp conditions.

In there hut/hide would it be okay to use hay for them to burrow into to sleep?

Thankyou again for your advice! Much appreciated!
Roy.

Tags
tortoise lighting