Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 20-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Egg
Default Fertile or Infertile Tortoise Eggs??

Hi, my tortoise who we have successfully bread a few years ago, unfortunately just stopped laying fertile eggs...until last year where just one was fertile.

Since all this I have read up a bit more about it, we currently have 5 eggs at between 29 and 30 degrees. They were laid 3 - 4 weeks ago.

i candled the eggs at 1 week and at one end/bottom there is an area bright orange and the rest of the egg white. I was really excited as I thought this meant chalking; however at nearly 4 weeks still the same, no veins and no obvious sign of a tortoise???

They are Herman eggs by the way,

Would love some advice as I would really like them to be successful??
Old 20-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOPHIE123 View Post
Hi, my tortoise who we have successfully bread a few years ago, unfortunately just stopped laying fertile eggs...until last year where just one was fertile.

Since all this I have read up a bit more about it, we currently have 5 eggs at between 29 and 30 degrees. They were laid 3 - 4 weeks ago.

i candled the eggs at 1 week and at one end/bottom there is an area bright orange and the rest of the egg white. I was really excited as I thought this meant chalking; however at nearly 4 weeks still the same, no veins and no obvious sign of a tortoise???

Chalking, this is when the egg changes colour from the sort of pinkish colour they are when they are first laid. You can after a few years tell when they go white like chalk.
I have been breeding tortoises for over 15yrs, and mostly tell if they are fertile or not. But sometimes it is a lot harder to see. I just leave the eggs to do what they will.
I would say at those incubating temps, it would be longer than a week to see chalking. And you are incubating for more males (sorry if you already know this) I tend to incubate at 32.5 for females, but still get the odd male crop up:0)
I would say you should be seeing veins, but some eggs take longer to start to develope.

I think this year because of the poor sunshine and temps, if your tortoises are kept outside, then fertility is going to be poor as tortoises need the higher temps to mate properly.
Old 24-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Egg

Hi, thanks, so does chalking mean fertile?
Old 24-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Generally yes chalking means fertility. But sometimes for some reason or another, the hatchling can stop developing and die, or possibly die in the shell. These dont happen often, but can happen.
If we have a good Spring and early Summer, you are more likely to get fertile eggs, as both male and female have had time to feed up and get their bodies ready for mating.
Unfortunatly this year has been a very poor year for that so far.
Old 24-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Wizzasmum1 Send a message via MSN to Wizzasmum1

Quote:

In years of bad weather at the beginning of the season this can happen. I would leave well alone though as the more you interfere with the eggs, the less likely they are to hatch Sometimes the most unlikely looking eggs hatch anyway though and vice versa, there's not a lot to be gained from hovering
Old 21-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Forum Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to Marcus_anthony24

My tortoise laid 3 eggs nearly 2 weeks ago, two of them had a white spot on top and one didn't. Does that mean the ones with the white spots are fertile, at which end is best to candle, bearing in mind I don't want to pick the eggs up.

Marcus
Old 22-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Super Regular

Yes the ones with the white spots are fertile. You can candle right from the top.

Danny
Old 24-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_anthony24 View Post
My tortoise laid 3 eggs nearly 2 weeks ago, two of them had a white spot on top and one didn't. Does that mean the ones with the white spots are fertile, at which end is best to candle, bearing in mind I don't want to pick the eggs up.

Marcus
You can pick them up to candle them, otherwise it is difficult to see inside. Make sure you have them dated on top though.
Old 24-08-2012, 01:36 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Mostly, but it is worth hanging onto those eggs and seeing if they are viable later. You just never know. As has been said, your temps are too low for incubating females, so bring it up now, you may see veins in a few days at a higher temp of 32c. I've had a poor hatching rate this year, could be because of the bad spring.
Old 24-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Wizzasmum1 Send a message via MSN to Wizzasmum1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweled lady View Post
You can pick them up to candle them, otherwise it is difficult to see inside. Make sure you have them dated on top though.

With a strong enough candling lamp it's as easy to see the state of the developing egg from on top as through the side, but then again I don't do mine very often now as they will hatch if fertile and won't it not

Tags
tortoise eggs