Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 06-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Egg
Default Lost......

I know that this is a common post and theres probably lots like it but I have lost my 5-6 year old hermann tortoise in the garden, he has been gone just over 24 hours now and I am very afraid for him for lots of reasons.

1. He doesnt go out much (or as often as he should) and I have never seen him dig or seen evidence where he has dug, even in his indoor enclosure, will he get him self out okay?

2. He has never hibernated, it just something he has never wanted to do and I have been never been able to enforce.

3. The garden in very secure but theres soooooo many hiding spots, could he really climber into ivy leaves and their roots?

4. What if he has flipped over?

5. I live in a semi built up area where seagulls nest on the roof tops...would they have nabbed him? Would a cat have a pop?

6. Whats the likely hood of a bird getting him and dropping him mid flight when he wiggles?

7. Will he instinctive hibernate and survive the winter, we live in devon so it gets pretty nippy, not quite snow but pretty frosty!

I have read up a lot but prefer asking direct question for real answers and experiences.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiee View Post
I know that this is a common post and theres probably lots like it but I have lost my 5-6 year old hermann tortoise in the garden, he has been gone just over 24 hours now and I am very afraid for him for lots of reasons.

1. He doesnt go out much (or as often as he should) and I have never seen him dig or seen evidence where he has dug, even in his indoor enclosure, will he get him self out okay?

2. He has never hibernated, it just something he has never wanted to do and I have been never been able to enforce.

3. The garden in very secure but theres soooooo many hiding spots, could he really climber into ivy leaves and their roots?

4. What if he has flipped over?

5. I live in a semi built up area where seagulls nest on the roof tops...would they have nabbed him? Would a cat have a pop?

6. Whats the likely hood of a bird getting him and dropping him mid flight when he wiggles?

7. Will he instinctive hibernate and survive the winter, we live in devon so it gets pretty nippy, not quite snow but pretty frosty!

I have read up a lot but prefer asking direct question for real answers and experiences.

You wont see signs of tortoises digging down, just like egg laying they cover their tracks well.

Just because you have never hibernated your tortoise, does not mean he wont. They have a built in instinct to hibernate when temps drop. Or when they get too hot.

Tortoises can climb fences, plants and even get through small gaps if they turn sideways through them.

If he had flipped over, then you would see him?

Seagulls might take him, but they have large wing spans, so unless your garden is really wide (enough so they can fly down and out) its unlikely. Cats are not a problem to tortoises.

I live in Kent, last year one of my females escaped my GH, and dug down in my garden, and I couldn't find her. So she had to take her chances. She popped up in the late Spring (as the weather was really cold here over the Winter) large as life. And is doing fine. Its not something I would recommend it, but they dig down enough where temps don't change. This has happened before to me (before we started getting the really cold Winters again) on two occasions I knew where the tortoises were, and just left them, monitoring the temps etc. And if it had good too bad, I was going to dig them up. But both times they came up raring to go.

I have been keeping tortoises for over 34yrs.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Egg

Although it is possible for a seagull to swoop in and out of my garden it turns out that didn't happen at all, he had in fact crawled about half a foot in and a foot up the wall ivy and made a nest. He is now indoor with said nest warm and eating - phew!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiee View Post
Although it is possible for a seagull to swoop in and out of my garden it turns out that didn't happen at all, he had in fact crawled about half a foot in and a foot up the wall ivy and made a nest. He is now indoor with said nest warm and eating - phew!
They do like to stress us out don't they:0)
Most keepers don't believe how far tortoises can climb or dig:0)