Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Shelled - Turtles & Tortoise

Old 03-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Regular
Default Worried turtle is trying to hibernate!!!

Looking for some advice from the experts!!!

I have had my musk turtles since around March this year. Before I had them they had been kept in a heated tank (no idea at what temperature).

They were around 2 years when they came to me and I took advice here and have never heated their tank.

They are double the size they were in March and are doing really well.

Over the last week though one has stopped eating altogether. Other than that she seems fine and is alert and active, although maybe sleeping a little more than usual.

Norah is a 2 1/2 year old common musk female with a carpace length of 3-3 1/2 inches. She has correct lighting, basking facilities - used occasionally and a varied diet including live shrimp and aquatic snails.

Her sister Bert is still eating well. They live harmoniously (most of the time.)

Should I be worried or is a change in eating normal when the weather changes at this time of year???

Thanks x

2 common musks - Norah and
Bertrude - my own little green faces !!!

">

Old 03-10-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlegreenfaces View Post
Looking for some advice from the experts!!!

I have had my musk turtles since around March this year. Before I had them they had been kept in a heated tank (no idea at what temperature).

They were around 2 years when they came to me and I took advice here and have never heated their tank.

They are double the size they were in March and are doing really well.

Over the last week though one has stopped eating altogether. Other than that she seems fine and is alert and active, although maybe sleeping a little more than usual.

Norah is a 2 1/2 year old common musk female with a carpace length of 3-3 1/2 inches. She has correct lighting, basking facilities - used occasionally and a varied diet including live shrimp and aquatic snails.

Her sister Bert is still eating well. They live harmoniously (most of the time.)

Should I be worried or is a change in eating normal when the weather changes at this time of year???

Thanks x
My musks behaviour hasn't changed to be honest but I have plugged the heater in their tank. What is your ambient room temprature? If you have no heating in the room the temp of the water could perhaps be a bit cool. Normally with older turtles ambient room temp is fine though.

Have you noticed any dominating behaviour by the 'active' one at all. That is probably a bit far fetched but it seems odd that one is active and eating while the other is not so much.

It might be somthing else. I would wait for either Stephen P or Zekee (or one of the many experienced keepers on here) to read this and see what they have to say
Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Regular

Thanks supatips

I am lucky enough to have my turtles in my lounge so the room is well heated.

This also means that I am able to observe them a lot (not sure why I bother having the TV on!) and I haven't noticed any aggression recently.

Puzzling!

">

Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Regular

Oh no, I hadn't thought about them trying to hibernate, is this something to look out for? My common musk is about 15 months or so and I don't heat the water, It's in my living room and i've just checked the water temperature there and it's at 22 deg. Obv not sure to what it drops late on through the night? I'm normally up very late so I will have to remember to check. What should I not let it fall below, around 20 I guess?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 PM
5 Star Member

A drop off in temperature at night is expected. I wouldn't think your musks are trying to hibernate, especially if housed indoors as I doubt your house drops to a low enough temperature? Its highly unlikely an indoor kept turtle will hibernate unless assisted .

I've found that some turtles do get "bored" of their diet sometimes, I try and make/keep it as varied as possible. What do you feed currently?

Other than that it could be a case of aggression or "bullying" the one who has stopped feeding, does it bask more than usual?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Regular

Thanks zekee

Norah has really perked up since I posted yesterday and is currently whizzing round the tank!

I feed a good variety including live river shrimp, aquatic snails, sinking carnivore pellets, algae wafers, prawns, mussels.......

I really haven't seen any aggression since moving to their bigger tank so don't think it's that. Will keep an eye out though and quite prepared to separate if necessary. If anything Norah is more dominant and quite a but bigger than Bert.
nikkikenney likes this.

">