Hobby breeder or small business? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 17-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Super Regular
Default Hobby breeder or small business?

In the eyes of the tax man when would a hobbiest breeder become a small business?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosthedaddy2 View Post
In the eyes of the tax man when would a hobbiest breeder become a small business?
The only way you will get a correct answer will be to ask the tax man.
Inventor and dcap like this.
Old 17-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
The only way you will get a correct answer will be to ask the tax man.
Fair do.

Just thinking other day about whether the earnings from sales ever puts a hobbiest at risk of being on the wrong side of the tax people as considered a second income?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-02-2017, 08:03 PM

It's far more complex than just monitor your gain. There are as far as I remember eleven different points to define a hobbyist from a commercial breeder. These include number of animals produced, value, intent to produce a profit and others.
Inventor likes this.
Old 17-02-2017, 11:32 PM
Premier Citizen

Depends on whether it's run as a business or hobby. A business can claim back all the expenses in maintaining the collection (or stock). If you are simply selling the off-spring of your breeding projects then it's still a hobby. But having said that, the taxman really wants everyone to declare all income, so if you make a few grand selling shed loads of snakes, technically you might need to declare it on your next tax return.

Bit of a grey area, and a tax office might be your better place to direct your enquiry.
Old 17-02-2017, 11:42 PM
Premier Citizen

Seems that from April 2017 you are allowed to receive up to £1000 before you need to declare your operation as a part-time business

From last years budget

Quote:
To help make the tax position more certain and simple for these individuals, from April 2017 the Budget introduces two new £1,000 allowances for property and trading income. Individuals with property income or trading income below the level of allowance will no longer need to declare or pay tax on that income. Those with relevant incomes above £1,000 can benefit by simply deducting the allowance instead of calculating their exact expenses.
So I guess that if you breed and sell less than £1000 worth of snakes you are technically classed as a hobby, if over then you would / should declare a part time business and deduct a grand from your tax liability
ian14 likes this.
Old 18-02-2017, 06:52 AM
Super Regular

Threshold is pretty low then at a grand.

Thanks for the info, BTW just a hypothetical musing rather than an actual problem.
Old 18-02-2017, 11:28 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinm View Post
It's far more complex than just monitor your gain. There are as far as I remember eleven different points to define a hobbyist from a commercial breeder. These include number of animals produced, value, intent to produce a profit and others.
Sounds all well and good, but where has this come from? I can't imagine for one minute that there is such a scale specifically for animal breeders on the relevant site for UK taxes.
My understanding is that anyone carrying out an activity that makes a profit is subject to tax.
I would be very happy to be shown otherwise by way of links to relevant UK government documents.
Old 19-02-2017, 01:01 AM
Squashed Member

The best thing to do is keep simple books, keep all receipts for EVERYTHING! Food substrate etc etc. Give invoices with anything you sell. List everything like vivs, tongs etc give it a rough value. You can claim the space in your house back in tax also. So, just do simple plus and minus books and next April look at what it comes to. Let's say you have a profit of £2000. You would be liable to pay about £200 in tax, minus the allowance for the house space. Also assuming you're on the lowest tax band. On the down side, you're £200 down. On the up side, it adds to your gross earnings if you want a mortgage or loan for example, and will add to your pension. If you make a loss, reverse the pros and cons above, except you'll get a wee rebate. It's up to you, I wouldn't stress too much about "getting caught" unless it's your main income, or you're making significant income, if you've got books you can always pay any back tax. And finally to answer your question, the tax man are friendly when it comes to answering these questions, they have always been very supportive when I've had to deal with them as a self employed twit that always makes an arse of his book etc. But if you keep books and as soon as you're making more than £1000 profit a year, you're liable to pay tax and therefore I assume that would be the threshold where it becomes a business. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Stephen P; 19-02-2017 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Language
Old 19-02-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
Sounds all well and good, but where has this come from? I can't imagine for one minute that there is such a scale specifically for animal breeders on the relevant site for UK taxes.
My understanding is that anyone carrying out an activity that makes a profit is subject to tax.
I would be very happy to be shown otherwise by way of links to relevant UK government documents.
I will put the information up when I am at a pc rather than a tablet.

Paying tax and running a business are two completely different things. There are plenty of businesses in different sectors that are clearly businesses and don't make a profit, and therefore don't pay tax.