If I were to get? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 18-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Egg
Default If I were to get?

If I were to get a snake what one would be good to start with. I know that the Ball Python,cornsnake and kingsnake are the most basic but are there any others. I have measurements of 95cm (w) 50cm (D) and 120cm (H) any suggestions would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-05-2017, 11:20 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunaleo View Post
If I were to get a snake what one would be good to start with. I know that the Ball Python,cornsnake and kingsnake are the most basic but are there any others. I have measurements of 95cm (w) 50cm (D) and 120cm (H) any suggestions would be much appreciated
Milksnakes, gopher & pine snakes, ratsnakes, male boa constrictor. Your main problem with such a tall viv is wasted height space if you go for a terrestrial snake- corns & other rats will climb, as will boas & royals, but kings, milks, gophers & pines will likely stay on the floor most of the time & waste the height.
Old 18-05-2017, 11:21 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
That's quite small TBH so your original suggestions may not be appropriate once past juvenile.

The height suggests to me that the area may be more suited to lizards. But I know nothing about them.
Wait... Crested Geckos.. Thought of one..... Not sure if it's appropriate though.

Frogs ???? May make a nice natural frog set up...
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn’t matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle: when the sun comes up, you’d better be running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-05-2017, 12:09 AM
Egg

with those dimentions you would be better of going for chameleons or maybe dartfrogs.....
Paul F likes this.
Old 19-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
with those dimentions you would be better of going for chameleons or maybe dartfrogs.....
thanks I'll look into them
Old 19-05-2017, 07:44 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventor View Post
Quote:
That's quite small TBH so your original suggestions may not be appropriate once past juvenile.

The height suggests to me that the area may be more suited to lizards. But I know nothing about them.
Wait... Crested Geckos.. Thought of one..... Not sure if it's appropriate though.

Frogs ???? May make a nice natural frog set up...
I think I'll look into the frogs they seem interesting.
Old 19-05-2017, 07:46 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
Quote:
Milksnakes, gopher & pine snakes, ratsnakes, male boa constrictor. Your main problem with such a tall viv is wasted height space if you go for a terrestrial snake- corns & other rats will climb, as will boas & royals, but kings, milks, gophers & pines will likely stay on the floor most of the time & waste the height.
thank you
Old 19-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Ultra Citizen

Lunaleo, there are arboreal snakes that could be kept in a viv of those dimensions, but the truth is they are seldom seen in the hobby as they are either hard to source, or hard to keep well!
You should wipe pines and gophers off the list immediately, and having kept a few myself, I'm seriously sceptical about milks to be honest! (Though all can and do climb very well!)
Old 19-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
Lunaleo, there are arboreal snakes that could be kept in a viv of those dimensions, but the truth is they are seldom seen in the hobby as they are either hard to source, or hard to keep well!
You should wipe pines and gophers off the list immediately, and having kept a few myself, I'm seriously sceptical about milks to be honest! (Though all can and do climb very well!)
ok I might look at a milk
Old 19-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
ok I might look at a milk
I think you misunderstood, it's not really a great shaped area for any of the snakes mentioned above, including milksnakes! The floor space isn't really adequate for any of them at adult size.
Inventor likes this.