Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 16-01-2009, 03:06 AM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to Serious D
Default Hognose Snake Bite

As most of you are aware Hognose snakes are venomus, but did you know a bite could look as bad as this, coz i didnt. I found this site tonight and just had to post it.

This is the very quick summary of the results of a western hognose snake bite. The snake is an apprx. 18 inch male Heterodon nasicus nasicus. The bite was a food response, not aggression. This snake has been a gentle captive for 8 years and has never attempted to bite.
Once this snake bit, it started to chew and hung on like a little bulldog. It seemed to use it's rear teeth almost exclusively, actively engaging the larger rear teeth.
Joe Monahan

(ABOVE) After about 3-5 minutes the snake continued to chew so I dunked it under cool tap water which caused it to quickly release it's grip. (ABOVE) There appeared to be an anti-coagulant effect, the small incisions bled freely. If you notice the cleaned up bite marks show few actual teeth punctures - mainly just a couple rear teeth. In my experience a typical harmless snake bite shows a much fuller set of teeth, ie, they bite with their whole set of dentures. This guy actively worked at getting his rear teeth engaged. This makes sense to me since enlarged teeth at the rear of the jaw would have greater PSI than those at the front. It may help explain why some snakes have enlarged rear teeth. There might be some correlation between rear teeth size and size of typical prey items, for example. Possibly relatively large prey items and the lack of constrictive powers have encouraged the development of large rear teeth. (Just wild speculation, obviously). (ABOVE) About 2-3 hours after the bite you could detect swelling. The picture in the upper right shows the start of swelling around the base of the thumb and index finger. In the lower left picture you can see the seeping from the bite due in part to swelling. In the bottom right picture you can see the swelling just starting up my arm. The areas of swelling also itched. (ABOVE) This series of pictures shows the swelling getting relatively worse and extending up the arm a bit. At this point (in the lower two photos) I could barely bend my fingers. I couldn't, for example, touch the tip of my thumb to the tip of my middle finger. These were taken the morning after the bite. By that night (18-20 hours after the bite), the swelling got a little worse and extended further up my arm. In the middle four pictures you can see that the swelling has spread about 2/3rds the way up my fore arm. Some small, itchy blisters also showed up on my hand and tiny popped blood vessels showed up as red dots particularly around my knuckles. In these pictures, taken 45 hours after thebite you can see that the swelling has extended up to my elbow (left). My hand is still very swollen but is starting to deflate. You can see the wrinkled skin around the knuckle (above) of my index finger where the previously stretched skin is now loose. You can also see the remains of a blister at the base of my thumb. Today, almost 72 hours after the bite the swelling is almost gone on my hand but there remains a few "lumps" on my forearm. A general reddish discoloration perstists, though not a rash. My hand is tender, a bit achey with ocasional sharp pains around my knuckles. In all though there has been little real pain through all this.
This script no longer functions
Old 16-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Closed Acc - Now Known As Noah's Ark Couriers

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

i would have filled it full of smirnoff before it had chance to do that
Old 16-01-2009, 03:21 AM
Super Citizen

One word: ouch!

Informative post - bites can be educational! Ha, ha. Sorry for your pain though.
Old 16-01-2009, 03:23 AM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to weelad

well he let it chew of course its going to be bad lol
talltom69 likes this.

Old 16-01-2009, 03:33 AM
Super Regular
Send a message via MSN to Raffa

WTF!!

Why would you let it keep chewin on you for that long, why not get it under the tap asap because i know i would.
Old 16-01-2009, 03:57 AM
Super Citizen

i found this site a while back, the guy was letting it chew on his hand

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes!!!
Old 16-01-2009, 04:02 AM
Posting Deity

Even a hoggie chewing won't necessarily have that effect, he was obviously allergic to the venom. My biggest girl had my finger halfway down her throat (she missed her mouse and my finger was in the way) before I got her off and I had no reaction at all.
Old 16-01-2009, 04:16 AM
5 Star Member
Reviews: 2

whoah hulk hand
talltom69 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TtotheC View Post
Pikachu, Georgie rapes you!
Old 16-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Lynne

my guy chewed and i am allergic to his venom. but the bite was never like that!!!!
Old 16-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Super Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to bilzo Send a message via Skype™ to bilzo

I've seen these before too, and it's obviously quite a bad alergic reaction, but I can't help feeling that the guy kinda deserves it... if he thought getting a camera and taking photos was a better idea than trying to remove the snake from his hand it's difficult to feel much sympathy!