Reptile Forums banner

Corn Breeding Question

484 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  reptiles-ink 
#1 ·
Ok this may sound a bit "out there" :lol2:

As most will know it is my frist year breeding corns this year, although kept them for about 6.

Female is gravid and following all the advice she should lay within 14days of pre-lay shed.

What happens if she doesnt?

Hear so much about egg bound corns that I was just sat watching her in her viv and wondered.

X Sheryl X

#2 ·
Did she come out of that nesting box you put in then?

I have a book where the author has plotted a graph showing number of days after the shed all his corns lay - although the majority of eggs were laid 10 - 14 days after the shed, there were exceptions, so give it another week before you panic. I was lucky, mne came early (7).

How have you got the nest box set up? It should be secluded, big enough for her to coil loosely in, and half filled with lightly damp moss. I used a 12" contico covered with a towel.

Don't check on her too often - she needs to feel secure to lay - once a day is enough, the eggs won't die if you don't spot them immediatly.
Good luck, hope you get them soon, the wait must be agonising!

#3 ·
Hi Sheryl,

Seriously dont worry about her becoming egg bound until it happens... if she is a good size ( 36" + ) a good weight ( 300g + ) and a good age ( 3 years + )... she will no doubt be fine. Even infertile eggs are usually passed without problems ( they are usually smaller than fertile ones ). Egg binding only occurs when the egg is too big to fit through the vent of the female.

When the eggs are ready to be passed, you will see them in her body forming large bumps by the cloaca... looks a bit like a conveyor belt :)

So stop worrying and only start when you need to :).... and good luck ;)

Steve

#4 ·
Thanks guys :smile:

She has two nest boxes both plenty big enough for her to fit in with plenty of room to spare and with moist vermiculite in. She seems to have stopped going in them over the last few days and at present is just curled up in her viv (where she used to lay before the boxes went in).

She has had previous clutches successfully with previous owners and she is 3ft 5". She is a 2001 so 6yrs old and weights as follows

19/12/06 501g
24/1/07 482g
4/3/07 656g

#5 ·
All looks normal there then, so just give her some space and wait, no need to wory at this stage.
Do you know when the matings took place, and has she stopped feeding? If so, when did she last feed? These are another couple of indicators that may help.

Mine was exactly 6 weeks between first mating and laying eggs, though there were further matings over the initial 2 week period, so don't know which one did it.

She stopped feeding 3 or 4 weeks before laying, I'd have to check my records for exact dates.

#6 ·
She's refused last two feeds (had to cut her down to a small mouse the last one she did take) and not sure when mating happened.
Oh well - like you said sure she'll be fine and its just me panicking :lol2:

She's in one of the boxes now with just her head and tail popping out so obviously comfy enough.

#8 ·
A lot of mine tended to come out of the nest box and be restless going around and around the viv for several days then they went back in the nest box and laid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.