Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 13-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to BeckyL
Default Do snakes bruise?

My CRB has just had a fairly bad shed (first bad one with me) and I got her out to help her with some of the stuck shed on her neck. While looking at her, I noticed she had a couple of small dark reddish marks on her sides that looked a bit like contusions might in a person. As she's a dark snake anyway it's hard to see but I'm pretty sure they aren't part of her pattern.

I'm assuming she was just a little vigorous trying to get her skin off and has bruised/grazed herself rubbing on things, but I was just curious to know if they are indeed bruises. Has anyone else's snakes had this after a shed?

Not especially worried as she def has no open wounds and she seems okay in herself - just curious really.

Thanks

Old 13-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Ultra Citizen

Great question!

i don't know the answer, however scales are basically folds of skin so i would assume that they can bruise.

be interesting to see what people come up with

http://onlysnakes.com/
Old 13-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to bronzeyis200

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyL View Post
My CRB has just had a fairly bad shed (first bad one with me) and I got her out to help her with some of the stuck shed on her neck. While looking at her, I noticed she had a couple of small dark reddish marks on her sides that looked a bit like contusions might in a person. As she's a dark snake anyway it's hard to see but I'm pretty sure they aren't part of her pattern.

I'm assuming she was just a little vigorous trying to get her skin off and has bruised/grazed herself rubbing on things, but I was just curious to know if they are indeed bruises. Has anyone else's snakes had this after a shed?

Not especially worried as she def has no open wounds and she seems okay in herself - just curious really.

Thanks
I've had similar happen to my albino burm on the odd occasion, nothing major, just a couple of small bruise like marks on her, I just presume they are exactly that, bruises from where she's pressed/rubbed too hard against something.
Be interesting to see if anyone can clarify our guesswork.......