Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 24-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Regular
Default What's the best setup for an albino jungle corn?

Hi,

we are picking up our latest addition in just over a week and have been building the vivs at the moment (18mm ply, 3 coats of exterior varnish), as the corn is 5ft, we have built a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft viv.

We know she needs a heat mat and possibly a lamp, but with the mat on, does the bulb need to give off much heat, or just light, and would UV be beneficial for an albino, or risky due to the lack of pigmentation?

As for the mat - I hate the things, we have a mat-stat, but would you recommend perhaps a ceramic tile on rubber feet over it to prevent her coming into contact with the mat itself?

Last question - substrate... the shop uses fine wood chips, would you use this or aspen bedding? She will be fed in a RUB outside the viv.

Thanks

Kevin

RIP: Siouxsie (Brazilian White Knee Tarantula, died 6th April 2009), Bobby (Bosc Monitor, died 18th July 2008 ), Scooby (Adult Rottweiler, died 2nd June 2008 ), Alysia (Albino Jungle Corn, died 4th January 2009), Scrappy (Adult Rottweiler, son of Scooby, died January 2013 of cancer-age 6), Snips (Emperor Scorpion)
Old 24-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Premier Member

you would be better of using a 50l rub with the heat mat under neath aspen as sumbstrate and a hide at both end and a water bowl all you need and much easier to clean out

Old 24-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Regular

Thanks for the reply, wanted to use a viv so I could secure a branch for climbing, will be using a long length of cork bark for a hide, so she can fit completely under it, plus fake vines and leaves for cover.
My one concern with a mat is her coming into direct contact with it, since they can get hot, even with a mat stat.
I'm aiming for a hot end of 30C, does that seem okay?

RIP: Siouxsie (Brazilian White Knee Tarantula, died 6th April 2009), Bobby (Bosc Monitor, died 18th July 2008 ), Scooby (Adult Rottweiler, died 2nd June 2008 ), Alysia (Albino Jungle Corn, died 4th January 2009), Scrappy (Adult Rottweiler, son of Scooby, died January 2013 of cancer-age 6), Snips (Emperor Scorpion)
Old 24-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Gold Star Member

I have never heard of an Albino Jungle corn. I thought albino corns were Amels and i aint sure if there is a jungle morph in corns yet :S

Im sure some corn keeper will be around soon to help, sorry im not much help.
Old 24-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Regular

I'm told by the shop she's a jungle as she's king x corn, she has the pink eyes, is white and has very pale yellow 'splodges' along her body. She's virtually adult and is about 5ft long. Her head is 'wider' than a corn, is doesn't have the distinct junction (neck) between the head and the rest of the body.

Old 24-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Premier Citizen

yep jungles are usually Cali King x corn and there is albino variants.

In one of my vivs i covered the mat with a piece of hardboard slightly larger than the mat then sealed it with silicon sealent.
Old 24-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Regular

Thanks for the confirmation, I was thinking a ceramic tile with the self-adhesive rubber feet from the mat underneath, or sticking the mat to the tile and using the feet to keep it off the base of the viv (was going to use one of the exo mats with the backing that lets them stick). I'm aiming to stop the mat getting wet if the snake spills water from the bowl, and also to allow airflow under the mat to stop overheating.

Old 25-08-2009, 02:16 AM
Super Regular

I have a Jungle Corn

Old 25-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to ashbosh Send a message via Skype™ to ashbosh
Thumbs up

gorgeous! I love jungles! I have an male '02 from coast to coast Darlington, not an albino, i have mine exactly how bretts balls told you and mine is very happy! here's mine for comparison...

1.0 Woma Python --- Reznor
0.0.1 Grammostola pulchra (Brazilian Black)
0.0.1 Grammostola rosea RCF (Chile Rose)
0.0.4 Brachypelma albopilosum (Curly Hair)
Old 25-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Regular

Very nice snakes, when we get her home we'll take some pics - tho might call in the shop and take some later (on hols from Thursday so the shop are holding them until we get back as our lizards, T and scorp are being boarded there)