Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 26-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Do i need a licence to breed snakes

can any one help i have a a fair few ball pythons would like to try and make some new morphs do i need a licence i also have blood pythons as well many thanks i am from london uk
Old 26-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Banned
Reviews: 10

yes you do, its £75 per month...pm me your bank details and i'll sort it out for you mate
Old 26-10-2009, 07:13 PM
5 Star Member

Lol...good one WLW

You'd think if you had a fair few royal morphs you'd already know full well whether you could breed them without a licence etc...Lol...

No you don't...as long as you're a hobbyist/private breeder and not officially making lots of money on them. Then it would be wise to get a PSL...only problem there is you have to go onto business rates.

But no, don't worry...you can breed them 'freely'.

Unless you have some unproven royals I doubt you will be making ''new morphs'' but you may be making some nice combos.

What do you have and are they adults etc?

Welcome to the forum btw

Old 26-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Banned
Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pied pythons View Post
Lol...good one WLW

You'd think if you had a fair few royal morphs you'd already know full well whether you could breed them without a licence etc...Lol...

No you don't...as long as you're a hobbyist/private breeder and not officially making lots of money on them. Then it would be wise to get a PSL...only problem there is you have to go onto business rates.

But no, don't worry...you can breed them 'freely'.

Unless you have some unproven royals I doubt you will be making ''new morphs'' but you may be making some nice combos.

What do you have and are they adults etc?

Welcome to the forum btw
Cow

you just ruined my bussiness plan, that would have brought me some new snakes
Old 27-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Gold Star Member

You only need a licence if you are selling animals which you have not bred yourself, in other words you buy them in and then sell on again.
If you are only selling snakes you have bred yourself then you don't need a licence. Breeding for profit etc doesn't come into it - you are making a profit just from selling a hatchling standard corn as you are making money just from the sale, even if it is only £10!
This is why breeders meetings state that only private breeders, selling their own animals, can sell.
Old 27-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior View Post
Cow

you just ruined my bussiness plan, that would have brought me some new snakes
someone all ways has to come and pee on ya parade hey m8 !
Old 27-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
You only need a licence if you are selling animals which you have not bred yourself, in other words you buy them in and then sell on again.
If you are only selling snakes you have bred yourself then you don't need a licence. Breeding for profit etc doesn't come into it - you are making a profit just from selling a hatchling standard corn as you are making money just from the sale, even if it is only £10!
This is why breeders meetings state that only private breeders, selling their own animals, can sell.
I was just about to say the same thing.
Old 27-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior View Post
yes you do, its £75 per month...pm me your bank details and i'll sort it out for you mate

no its a grand a month and it me you should be sending it to not this scammer
Old 27-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian14 View Post
that's not entirely right. You're not making a profit on a £10 snake that you hatched yourself as you've had to feed it, house it and heat it as well as the incubating costs. So by the time you come to sell it, it's already cost you more than £10.
You will need a license if you're breeding your own stock, otherwise breeders can open a petshop and not require a license. You'd need a pet shop license if you're breeding to sell on a commercial sale.
Old 27-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meko View Post
that's not entirely right. You're not making a profit on a £10 snake that you hatched yourself as you've had to feed it, house it and heat it as well as the incubating costs. So by the time you come to sell it, it's already cost you more than £10.
You will need a license if you're breeding your own stock, otherwise breeders can open a petshop and not require a license. You'd need a pet shop license if you're breeding to sell on a commercial sale.
Sorry, you are completely wrong. You do NOT need a licence to sell your own offspring. The point is that it will never be profitable for someone to open a shop and only sell animals they have bred.
And you are making a profit - by selling that snake you have just made £10. You would still have had the cost of housing/heating/feeding whwther you sell it or not! As you haven't bought the snake to start with, but bred it, then that £10 is £10 you would not have had, hence it is a profit.