Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 06-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Ultra Citizen
Exclamation King snake eating itself!!!!

well ive heard of it before but never seen it myself but i was doing the usual spot checks on the kids and found my rescue king snake eating itself from the tail up, at first i was shocked and then panick set in as i tried to get him to stop eating himself very carefully without hurting him any idea why he would do this and also this explains the scare's which are on his tail end which i thought where a few old burns which he got before coming to me but its twice ive found him like this today
Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Postaholic Member
Send a message via MSN to wohic

has he been fed recently ? is it possible he could have rodent smell on him ?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Ultra Citizen

nope he was fed last week but judging by the scares on him he's ad a nible a few times in the past very strange indeed watching a snake eating itself
Old 06-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Forum Citizen
Question

i would have ran outside in the garden with me hands over me ears screamin lol.... i panic it woulda been upto the OH to see to him .... I'm not very up on kings i'll leave the comments to the experts but good luck hun n i hope you can find a way to stop his doin it
2 female Royal Python's - Baby and Honey
7 Beardies - Willow, Ruby ,Bobby, Billy, Bella, George and Bailey AND our SPECIAL lil man simon!
1 Black &White Argentine Tegu - Trevor
1 Chinese Water Dragon - Angel
R.I.P Princess, my darlin and my little boyo- thunder wunder fluff ball x
Old 06-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Postaholic Member
Send a message via MSN to wohic

And stressful. trouble is kings seem to have an uncontrolable feed response , they see something move and go for it, and some are daft enough to include themselves in that.

I have not had personal experience with this issue, hopefully someone will come along with first hand advice.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wohic View Post
And stressful. trouble is kings seem to have an uncontrolable feed response , they see something move and go for it, and some are daft enough to include themselves in that.

I have not had personal experience with this issue, hopefully someone will come along with first hand advice.
ok cheers bud he does wag his tail rapidly when you go near the viv so maybe he goes for that but i have heard that tail wagging is a sign of either being scarred or being aggressive ive only ever witnesed tail wagging in leo's lol
Old 06-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Gold Star Member

Mine has attempted to bite herself a few times directly after feeding, I put it down to poor eyesight (she's albino) and still being in feeding mode.

Bohemian Stud - breeding marked rats for pet/show.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Premier Citizen

Do you have a dog? If so maybe it's seen the dog chasing its tail and decided it would have a go. Being ophiophagic it then liked the taste and started to ingest itself ????.......Joke.

On a serious note it may have been spooked / disturbed by something, rattled its tail, seen the tail moving, had a feeding response, liked the taste and carried on. From the scarred tail evidence it seems you may have an Emo (self harming) Cali!!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophidianman View Post
Do you have a dog? If so maybe it's seen the dog chasing its tail and decided it would have a go. Being ophiophagic it then liked the taste and started to ingest itself ????.......Joke.

On a serious note it may have been spooked / disturbed by something, rattled its tail, seen the tail moving, had a feeding response, liked the taste and carried on. From the scarred tail evidence it seems you may have an Emo (self harming) Cali!!
pmsl but yea that pic is similiar to the position i found him in but he wasnt actualy eating from the tail up he was chewing from just up past his vent if you understand, very bizare situation
Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Super Citizen

both my kingsnakes have tried to eat themselves it happened during feeding and well as am sure people know kings are very crazy when it comes to food

The rest: M African house snake, 2 royals (frankie, erroll) bairds rat snake (barney), mexican milksnake (dantee), corn, carpet pythons, childrens python, chameleon (Malcolm)