Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 26-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Banned

edit.....wrong thread
wondered where it went

Last edited by elliot ness; 26-05-2010 at 02:38 AM..
Old 26-05-2010, 02:07 AM
5 Star Member
Reviews: 6
Send a message via AIM to malky201 Send a message via Skype™ to malky201

Snakes need water?
Old 26-05-2010, 02:49 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by malky201 View Post
Snakes need water?
do they
Old 26-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Ultra Citizen

lol it doesnt all evaporate just a little off the top. i top up like a teaspoon or so a day :p

corny's have a bowl each and boa has two (warm & cool side)

bless em
Old 26-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious_121 View Post
lol it doesnt all evaporate just a little off the top. i top up like a teaspoon or so a day :p

corny's have a bowl each and boa has two (warm & cool side)

bless em
Old 26-05-2010, 10:46 PM
5 Star Member

Water is one of my bug bears, so here's my 2p-worth, regarding my own habits.

My overall view is that water is not a luxury and the very least I can do for my snakes is to provide them with access to clean water in a clean water bowl, regardless of whether they make use of it or not. I go as far as to ensure that their water is from a bottled source to avoid varying levels of chloromine.

If you'd have asked me at the beginning of the year how often I change water, I'd have said every other day / every two days or so. I recently started to keep very detailed care records, which included water bowl cleaning and water top-ups. For some of my snakes, water changes were not nearly as frequent as I thought they were in my head.

I found that my snakes have different habits between themselves, along with different set-ups depending on species, and this affects how I give them water and how often it is changed.

I try to aim for water bowl cleaning days around twice per week, unless somebody has substrate in their water, and in that case it's cleaned sooner. If I spot clean, they usually get a clean water bowl too. If they've been sitting in their water, I will change it. If water has evaporated I will clean or just top up, depending on how recently it was changed. So water bowl cleaning really depends on their habits and behaviour, but they all get cleaned regularly regardless. I never do water top ups with a dirty bowl!

I have one snake that I will see drink every single day (he may have kidney damage from poor care prior to me having him), and he is afforded a giant dog bowl with spotless bottled water, which he very much appreciates.

I wouldn't say that it's necessary to fuss too much over water, but I wouldn't belittle its importance either, which I've seen from some members recently.

At the end of the day, it's just water and a bowl. How much effort is it to make sure bowls are clean, really?
Old 26-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlie View Post
Water is one of my bug bears, so here's my 2p-worth, regarding my own habits.

My overall view is that water is not a luxury and the very least I can do for my snakes is to provide them with access to clean water in a clean water bowl, regardless of whether they make use of it or not. I go as far as to ensure that their water is from a bottled source to avoid varying levels of chloromine.

If you'd have asked me at the beginning of the year how often I change water, I'd have said every other day / every two days or so. I recently started to keep very detailed care records, which included water bowl cleaning and water top-ups. For some of my snakes, water changes were not nearly as frequent as I thought they were in my head.

I found that my snakes have different habits between themselves, along with different set-ups depending on species, and this affects how I give them water and how often it is changed.

I try to aim for water bowl cleaning days around twice per week, unless somebody has substrate in their water, and in that case it's cleaned sooner. If I spot clean, they usually get a clean water bowl too. If they've been sitting in their water, I will change it. If water has evaporated I will clean or just top up, depending on how recently it was changed. So water bowl cleaning really depends on their habits and behaviour, but they all get cleaned regularly regardless. I never do water top ups with a dirty bowl!

I have one snake that I will see drink every single day (he may have kidney damage from poor care prior to me having him), and he is afforded a giant dog bowl with spotless bottled water, which he very much appreciates.

I wouldn't say that it's necessary to fuss too much over water, but I wouldn't belittle its importance either, which I've seen from some members recently.

At the end of the day, it's just water and a bowl. How much effort is it to make sure bowls are clean, really?
I would disagree there.......water is very,very important.....without it the snake dies...........not as if it costs a lot either.It just takes a bit of effort every day.
Imagine letting one of your dogs go without clean water for a few days.......a bit different,granted but you get what I am saying
Old 26-05-2010, 11:01 PM
5 Star Member

You're preaching to the converted on my part.

I was merely trying to put across the same message without beating forum members with the 'clean water' stick, as it makes people switch off.

Fussing too much would be scrubbing and disinfecting water bowls every day, stressing the snake and mobbing other forum members for not doing the same.

Last edited by Carlie; 26-05-2010 at 11:14 PM..
Old 26-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlie View Post
You're preaching to the converted on my part.

I was merely trying to put across the same message without beating forum members with the 'clean water' stick, as it makes people switch off.
I understand and sorry for having a go.

Just don't want any newbies losing snakes,especially this summer.
Not as if it takes much doing........just a bit of effort
Old 27-05-2010, 12:21 AM
5 Star Member

I've heard 'experienced' members say they don't clean water bowls unless they're green. I'd laugh, but I've no doubt they're serious.

I'd be very interested to read about what kinds of bacteria grows in vivarium water bowls, and what impact that might have on a snake's well-being. It's certainly not hard to imagine that unclean water can be a source for secondary infections when a snake is already feeling low (a stressed snake for instance).

There again, it's a bit sad that a case must be given before people bother to give their animals clean water.

Tags
water